Ok its my time to chime in now: WTF? third week on minoxidil...

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
You are welcome. :)

Shedding continues, the number of hairs lost is probably reduced. Majority of the shedded shafts are thin and less pigmented.

The shed has taken a toll on my temples too: the right one especially seems thin.

My crown looks considerably thinner too, but the thicker terminals all around the place are holding strong.

This is the "filtering" shed!! :freaked2:

weird.

It sounds like it is slowing a bit. I am assuming you have dark hair?

I'm in the same boat with the crown. I have also noticed a "lopssided" temple shed, too. Mine is on the left. I can recall another member who has a similar assymetry. Really weird.

BTW, I have started a log in my introduction. Perhaps you should, too. I am limiting it to any substantial observations + regimen adjustments (if any).

Come on people, let's start recording our experiences. This is valuable information.

SE-freak

Reaction score

The image above is descriptive of my pattern of recession. The two symmetrical red areas of the vertex are where my thinning started many years ago. Now these areas have expanded were the faded red is, leaving a strip of hair between. My right temple is kind of thinned too, with mild recession.

The area of the vertex is the one very affected by my shed and cosmetically, my only problem.

The two blue spots, mark the position of my two crowns.

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
Good graphic. How were you able to do that? Is there a software program? that is very very useful.

SE-freak

Reaction score
Weepy said:
Good graphic. How were you able to do that? Is there a software program? that is very very useful.

That was 5 min in Photoshop. You can "borrow" my head and repaint the hair area before marking your thinning. :)

What is really weird in my pattern is that thinning started from two small symmetrical areas on the vertex boundaries. It didn't start from my crowns.

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you can add this to your introdcution? As a part of your log. Date the drawing. It is sometimes hard to determine patterns from digi-photos. This method seems more illumintaing.

I will have to buy photoshop. God, I never thought I would have to buy software because of hair loss.

SE-freak

Reaction score
no! you can do this with paint too! :lol:

No need to go deep into professional photomanipulation because of hairloss dude!!! :freaked2:

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
Shedding is calming down. Today I lost only 200 hairs while rinsing my scalp.

Good. And it will only get better.

BTW, Were you shampooing? Or was this a warm water rinse? Just curious.

SE-freak

Reaction score
No, it was 6 hours after my Regaine application and it was a plain cold water rinse to remove the gunk. I usually shampoo during my night shower before my nighttime application.

I like the way things seem. Its like all that peach fuzz and intermediate hairs are gone leaving thicker terminals.

Time will show.

SE-freak

Reaction score
It is definately calming down. Amazing. I think I experienced the infamous "3 week minoxidil shed" in a compact 8day package. That would explain the extreme number of hairs shed.

It should get better from now on.

I hope.

Maybe.

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
It is definately calming down. Amazing. I think I experienced the infamous "3 week minoxidil shed" in a compact 8day package. That would explain the extreme number of hairs shed.

Are you experiencing less shed when showering and/or when hair is dry? You and I started about the same time. I am eager to compare notes.

This afternoon, I did my regular test: running my hand through dry hair 10 x over 2 minutes (stroke from front to top). I still get about 18 to 20. But this is about 18 to 20 less than last week/early this week. 50% drop seems significant.

BTW, that "compact 8 day package" cracked me up. LOL

SE-freak

Reaction score
Weepy said:
Are you experiencing less shed when showering and/or when hair is dry? You and I started about the same time. I am eager to compare notes."]

I think yes-during both. And why should it be different if it is fall for your hair?

This afternoon, I did my regular test: running my hand through dry hair 10 x over 2 minutes (stroke from front to top). I still get about 18 to 20. But this is about 18 to 20 less than last week/early this week. 50% drop seems significant.
It is. But no need to give yourself these daily tests. It's the general impression that counts: One day you realize half of you is in the sink staring back and the next it's regular shedding. As I mentioned before, it was the quality of the hairs that drew my attention too. They seemed to be the fine, blonder hairs that committed open mutiny.

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
Weepy said:
Are you experiencing less shed when showering and/or when hair is dry? You and I started about the same time. I am eager to compare notes."]

I think yes. And why should it be different if it is fall for your hair? :freaked:

Oh, I simply wanted to make sure we were comparing simlar situations. I do my counts when it is dry. But you're exactly right; it doesn't matter, wet or dry. I only wanted to compare apples to apples. That sort of thing.

SE-freak said:
It is. But no need to give yourself these tests daily. It's the general impression that counts: One day you realize half of you is in the sink staring back and the next it's regular shedding. As I mentioned before, it was the quality of the hairs that drew my attention too. They seemed to be the fine, blonder hairs that committed open mutiny.

LOL... yeah, you're right. I'm just trying to stay on top of things. Hair loss has left me feeling so helpless; doing this (keeping records) gives me the sense I have a degree of control over the situation. Even if this is simply an illusion, I have found it to be psychologically helpful.

87david

Established Member
Reaction score
I started laughing when I realized the ridiculous amount of hairs in my hand...

SE-Freak, I know that laugh. A laugh that slowing dissolves into fretful weeping. male pattern baldness humbles us all.

SE-freak

Reaction score
87david said:
I started laughing when I realized the ridiculous amount of hairs in my hand...

SE-Freak, I know that laugh. A laugh that slowing dissolves into fretful weeping. male pattern baldness humbles us all.

Erm... not exactly.

It was mostly an "If-I-was-a-clueless-brat-who-just-jumped-on-Rogaine-I-would-sh*t-my-pants-and-stop-treatment-right-now-but-I-happen-to-know-that-a- minoxidil-shed-is-to-be-expected-so-I-laugh-at-you-dying-hairs-because-you- are-coming-back-thicker" kind of laugh.

It was a "you don't fool me" laugh, to cut it short.

87david

Established Member
Reaction score
That's the spirit! :salut:

:firing:-> male pattern baldness

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
My shedding seemed to slow. I was happy about this, until I realized there wasn't much more for me to shed. Sigh.

SE-freak

Reaction score
Update on the whole shedding thing:

The number of hairs I lose is pretty normal. The thing is that the vast majority of hairs shed, are blonder finer hairs which- frankly-I don't care about losing.

Temples look good and crown seems to be improving-terminals all over the place, although still unacceptably thin.