Ok its my time to chime in now: WTF? third week on minoxidil...

SE-freak

Reaction score
I have just entered my third week on minoxidil/finasteride and WTF? :shock:

Before treatment I would lose a strand or two while combing. During the first 2 weeks of treatment I would lose *NONE*.

Today I wet my head before shampooing and I saw at least 300 on my hand( I am sure it was more). They were mostly fine hairs coming off from my vertex area where I have the problem. This is like 0 hairs yesterday 300 hairs today. hahaha it's really scary...

I really wanted to make one of those "WTF!!! I AM SHEDDING!!" posts one day.Well I got my chance.

It is too early for a propecia shed, so it must be minoxidil.

I hope this is a good sign. :freaked2:

WTF? HIT THE GYM!!!AWESOME!!! I AM FREAKING OUT!!! :freaked2: :freaked2:

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
too bald too furious said:
Seems like the treatment is working for you. An early shed is a good indication.

Everyone says this, but I have yet to see a shedder come back and say, "Don't worry. It all came back."

too bald too furious

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Weepy said:
Seems like the treatment is working for you. An early shed is a good indication.

Everyone says this, but I have yet to see a shedder come back and say, "Don't worry. It all came back."

Ok fine...you shed and it wont grow...you are getting bald4ever!

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: Ok its my time to chime in now: WTF? third week on minoxidil

AWESOME!

GET A TAN!

vade

Reaction score
hey SE-freak i started minoxidil on sept 1 (last month), after 20 days i shedded alot like ure sayin like 300 hairs .. but this only stayed for 8 to 9 days (i dunno if this was the shed) but i dont care anyways cause theres nthg to do about it ....now everythings back to normal ... wish u luck

SE-freak

Reaction score
thanks vade.

I started laughing when I realized the ridiculous amount of hairs in my hand. My bathroom sink was like I had been shaving.

I am almost positive this is a good sign though. They were noticeably finer than my normal hairs.

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
Weepy said:
[quote="too bald too furious":45bc6]Seems like the treatment is working for you. An early shed is a good indication.

Ok fine...you shed and it wont grow...you are getting bald4ever![/quote:45bc6]

Sorry, I wasn't being argumentative. What I am saying is that I haven't seen anything positive yet.

SE-freak

Reaction score
I am in the pleasant position to announce that I just rinsed my hair above the sink and I saw at least 500 hairs lying down there. The white porcelain seemed like the trays hair transplant surgeons use to place the extracted f.units.(I repeat: at least 500 and I am positive about the number)

This is SO funny.

I am looking forward to greater numbers of shed hairs as it is really amusing.

Losing 1000 shafts in 2 days is so funny it really cracks me up.

The above sentences resemble a Gunnerlike structure.

But it's just because I cannot stop laughing.

I wonder what will happen if this shedding continues. I am sure you are soooo jealous right now.

I am the only one having a good laugh.

SE-freak

Reaction score
UPDATE: 3 mins ago and after I showered, I went over the sink and tried to pat my hair again. I had 100 down there.

this is really great.

I think I am going out to propose to a girl or something.

I will be bald tomorrow.

Time to get a tan.

SE-freak

Reaction score
I know that losing 50-5000 hairs per day is completely normal, but I cannot help being a bit distressed about it.

Solo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
^^^^Best post of the week
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
SE-Freak,

I haven't replied, because I wasn't sure you were being serious. But I realize now that you are serious. I want to support you. I don't know your circumstance. Have you had a follow-up with your physician? Has he given you any guidance?

As you already know, the minoxidil shedding is known. Those hairs should come back very nicely. I am confident that your shedding will stop very very soon. Things will be better!!!

With respect to any other shedding, i.e., finasteride shedding, There is no f*****g consensus on these treatments, even though finasteride shedding is widely reported here. This is the maddening part. After 20 years on the market, it is difficult to believe that (1) this shedding has not been reported and (2) a consensus opinion has NOT been formed about it.

SE-freak

Reaction score
Weepy,

thanks for your support bud.

Yes, I was serious about my shedding and partly serious about the fact that I kind of laugh at it. I am almost sure that if I was one of those uneducated guys who just go and grab some rogaine I would stop treatment. This is not the case now.

My crown felt like a kiwi some days before, and now I cannot feel any hair "resistance". This is not "increased hairloss" as mentioned in the Rogaine pamphlet- its follicular hiroshima!! :shock: I am cool though since I know this can be the case with minoxidil, and this area is a very problematic part of my scalp.

Check out my post in your Propecia shed thread. I think there is a case of you misinterpreting things.

(And no, the shedding from minoxidil stimulation is not a Telogen Effluvium, as it does not involve follicles entering the telogen phase, these follicles already are in the telogen phase and are prematurely signaled to eject their shafts)

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
My crown felt like a kiwi some days before, and now I cannot feel any hair "resistance". This is not "increased hairloss" as mentioned in the Rogaine pamphlet- its follicular hiroshima!!

I am experiencing the same. Miniturization hell. In addition, you're right. I just freaked out, and can't think straight sometimes. I'm sorry about the misinformation. I will edit my post.

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
Shedding in no way equals miniaturization.

No, I know. That's not what I meant. I've been to a few docs; miniturization is evident. Sorry, I misquoted you. I'm just thinking too fast.

SE-freak

Reaction score
Relax bud! I can easily post some crap info too!

Regarding your miniaturization, the thing that would really matter is if this miniaturization the docs have observed and verified(really how?) has taken place during your treatment period. If it was there before(as it happens to all of us here before starting on a treatment obviously) then thats "cool banana" cause you are focusing on the effect your treatment has on your scalp and not the effect that male pattern baldness had before treatment.

In other words, your shedding is probably a good sign and you are freaking out. Your post frequency is high, so is mine. It is on my mind but I am calm, I think.

Relax and enjoy the ride bud.

SE-freak

Reaction score
You are welcome. :)

Shedding continues, the number of hairs lost is probably reduced. Majority of the shedded shafts are thin and less pigmented.

The shed has taken a toll on my temples too: the right one especially seems thin.

My crown looks considerably thinner too, but the thicker terminals all around the place are holding strong.

This is the "filtering" shed!! :freaked2:

weird.