Oily Scalp With Dandruff, Will It Stick?

James_Adam

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello! I am thinking about getting a hair system for myself. I am 22 years old and the only problem I am having is that I have an oily scalp and dandruff in my head that does not go away. It is greasy dandruff. So my question is, if I get the hair system, will it stick to my scalp? If yes, which method will be more applicable like tape or glue? Also, how long will it stick to my scalp considering my dandruff? Please answer these questions, I would be very thankful. Thank You

Noah

Reaction score
I think it would be prudent for you to prep your scalp to get rid of any loose skin, and then apply a scalp protector everywhere you are going to be putting adhesive. That will protect your scalp from any irritation, and will give you a firm surface to apply the adhesives to.

James_Adam

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it would be prudent for you to prep your scalp to get rid of any loose skin, and then apply a scalp protector everywhere you are going to be putting adhesive. That will protect your scalp from any irritation, and will give you a firm surface to apply the adhesives to.
Hello Noah, Thank you for the reply, I have seen you helping out people all over this forum so you must be an expert :) And I totally get your point, but I am trying to know if there is hope of using hair system for a person like me who has dandruff with moderate oily scalp?

Noah

Reaction score
Certainly James. I know a few guys who suffer from severe psoriasis and successfully wear a hairpiece to cover it up. I would suggest using a lace based piece, which is breathable, rather than a skin base, but otherwise I don't think there are any unmanagable problems. One of the guys uses a light-tack adhesive tape at the back of his piece, so that he can detach the piece and roll it up from the back and apply medication to his scalp without disturbing the hairline, and then just roll it back down again.

James_Adam

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's so reassuring Noah, I was starting to lose hope as I have been hearing positive comments about how I look since the childhood and suddenly with the loss of hair I was worried about how I look and would be able to wear a piece with dandruff, but your comment has made my day. Thank you man, I will go to a hairclub for the fitting as it is my first time and then I will gradually learn to manage it on my own. Thank you again Noah.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have an oily scalp, tape worked best, as opposed to adhesive. If I don't prep properly, the unit slides right off. Scalp prep is very very important.

James_Adam

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have an oily scalp, tape worked best, as opposed to adhesive. If I don't prep properly, the unit slides right off. Scalp prep is very very important.
Hello Buddy, Nice beard BTW :) So what do you do to prep your scalp, how much holding time do you get and do you have dandruff?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello Buddy, Nice beard BTW :) So what do you do to prep your scalp, how much holding time do you get and do you have dandruff?

Thanks. So, I don't have a dandruff problem on my scalp. And I am wondering why on the shaved/bald areas, you would have dandruff. I would assume that flakes on the skin are something else, which you would deal with some sort of cream.

I prep by shaving smooth, wiping down with alcohol, after. Then I use scalp antiperspirant, and then "Walker Scalp Protector Thick Dab-on Scalp Protector".

Once, I was stressed, a bit, and forgot the "Walkers", the system slipped right off my head!

In the current, hot, Tel Aviv weather, I am getting, about 5-6 days. I usually remove Thursday evening, when I get home from work, and then only reattach on Saturday afternoon, for the beginning of the work week on Sunday. If I have plans for either Friday or Saturday, I will change that schedule.

I am hoping, once the weather cools down (October???), I will get two weeks from a hold. BTW, the tapes I use are still stuck very well to the system, it's my head.... LOL that melts it off.

James_Adam

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks. So, I don't have a dandruff problem on my scalp. And I am wondering why on the shaved/bald areas, you would have dandruff. I would assume that flakes on the skin are something else, which you would deal with some sort of cream.

I prep by shaving smooth, wiping down with alcohol, after. Then I use scalp antiperspirant, and then "Walker Scalp Protector Thick Dab-on Scalp Protector".

Once, I was stressed, a bit, and forgot the "Walkers", the system slipped right off my head!

In the current, hot, Tel Aviv weather, I am getting, about 5-6 days. I usually remove Thursday evening, when I get home from work, and then only reattach on Saturday afternoon, for the beginning of the work week on Sunday. If I have plans for either Friday or Saturday, I will change that schedule.

I am hoping, once the weather cools down (October???), I will get two weeks from a hold. BTW, the tapes I use are still stuck very well to the system, it's my head.... LOL that melts it off.
I get it now, thank you for the detailed clarification. If the scalp protector protects from oil then I think it would protect from flakes on scalp as well. BTW does your system start to come off after 5 days or you remove it on your own?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I get it now, thank you for the detailed clarification. If the scalp protector protects from oil then I think it would protect from flakes on scalp as well. BTW does your system start to come off after 5 days or you remove it on your own?

It depends. After one week of very hot weather, in which I was outside more than I had liked... it came off easily. I have also been using two different brands of tape, Walkers, and SuperTape. The Walkers needed to be removed, all around. Some of the SuperTape, tapes just pulled easily off my scalp.