Ohh the horror..finasteride start giving acne

choko

Reaction score
So havnt got any acne for the last 5 months, but now I have restarted finasteride at 0.25 mg a day..Now five days later, my face is exploded in acne..
Why do I get every fcking sideeffect....

Do you think it will wear off?

Anyone expirenced the same?

Gilgamesh

Established Member
Reaction score
choko, when i first tried finasteride at 19 I had really horrible acne for like a week and a half

then all of a sudden it went away

*i should note it did nothing for my hair, but for 9/10 guys it does wonders

do you have diffuse loss or recession? (diffuse has less success)

HairyPotter

Established Member
Reaction score
I experienced the same thing with finasteride...

Im 22 and havent had acne since I was around 18 or 19 (just an occasional pimple here and there), since beginning Ive begun to break out again and it sucks...

Well I've been using 10% Benzoyl Peroxide and it seems to be helping. Acne (oily skin) is a side effect of finasteride and I think it should go away as soon as the body adjusts.... (Hopefully)

norain

Reaction score
HairyPotter said:
I experienced the same thing with finasteride...

Im 22 and havent had acne since I was around 18 or 19 (just an occasional pimple here and there), since beginning Ive begun to break out again and it sucks...

Well I've been using 10% Benzoyl Peroxide and it seems to be helping. Acne (oily skin) is a side effect of finasteride and I think it should go away as soon as the body adjusts.... (Hopefully)
Try using a 2.5 percent benzoyle peroxide med. its just as effective and has less of a chance to irritate

Lizzad

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah, i'm getting acne on my forehead since starting finasteride, and since i upped from .5mg to 1mg a week ago the acne has increased. Nothing major, but very uncool. 8)

c

Established Member
Reaction score
choko said:
So havnt got any acne for the last 5 months, but now I have restarted finasteride at 0.25 mg a day..Now five days later, my face is exploded in acne..
Why do I get every fcking sideeffect....

Do you think it will wear off?

Anyone expirenced the same?

hi,

yes i did the .25 as well thinking the sides (acne etc) would be less extreme as they were the first time i went on finasteride.

But no, just the same. Same cystic, hormonal, under the skin acne near the neck glands.

So i stopped again and won't be going on it again. It's not worth the anguish. Not enjoying hair loss, but well i guess skin quality is more important to me ( i have fair skin and EVERY dot shows up)

Been about 3 months since stopping and still getting a few cystics near neck, so now trying isotrex (topical accutane) to end the madness.

good luck.

nervx

Established Member
Reaction score
Acne is the only side effect from finasteride i still have. Almost in month four and i still get outbreaks of acne every now and then. It sucks ***.
Before finasteride my face was almost always clear.

choko

Reaction score
Oh its seems that its allready wearing off...I hope..And so far my good ol errection problems havnt appeared on 0.25mg finasteride.

Im thinning and receeding....wooopiie

everysixseconds

Established Member
Reaction score
my acne was rampant for about 3 months, but then died down. now its back to pre-dutasteride levels, which is not bad. pimples and some cysts, yes. but not crazy acne.

whatthehell

Reaction score
damn i hadsome acne and was wondering where it came from, realised its from the .44mg finasteride i take!

damn

Packers

Established Member
Reaction score
Damnit, I would think finasteride would actually help get rid of and clear acne, not cause more...

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Finasteride is a specific 5a-reductase type 2 inhibitor. The version inside sebaceous glands (which produce sebum) is the type 1 form. That's why finasteride has no effect on sebum/oil production.

Bryan

Goingat20

Reaction score
So Bryan, does dutasteride cause acne?
would it go away with time?

WithTheLidOff

Established Member
Reaction score
i've gotten tons of acne since treatments..i havent had a zit in 10 years before. In MY case..im convinced that its the minoxidil dripping down on to the sides of my forehead..a tiny little bit always drips down and settles in the same place. The sh*t drips down because of the way that my heads shaped and it only grows in those areas. Then again..i havent researched anything. Im FAR too lazy for that..but i DO notice a pattern.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Goingat20 said:
So Bryan, does dutasteride cause acne?

I'm not sure why you'd think that dutasteride would CAUSE acne. Most people would think that it probably helps protect against it, since dutasteride does partially inhibit the type 1 form of 5a-reductase that's inside sebaceous glands. However, a recent study by some big-time dermatologists found that Merck's experimental drug MK386 (a specific type 1 inhibitor) had no effect on acne, so it seems doubtful that dutasteride would help, either.

Bryan