Off Treatment For Awhile Still Experiencing Sides

JohnDoe555

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys,
So approximately 6 weeks or so ago I completely stopped all treatments (herbal remedies with saw palmetto and nizoral) and minoxidil and finasteride even longer ago as I was experiencing sides from all/some (I understand the debate on this, all the same I was experiencing sides, so I stopped), and im finding that my libido and ability to maintain wood is still low. Its improved a bit I suppose but definitely not back to normal as it was put to the test the other night and it wasnt completely up to the test (pun). So Im just wondering how long can sides persist after finishing all treatments? Also what can I do to help it along? Examples of things to eat, drink, herbal remedies etc would be awesome. Or should I consider seeking more help from a doctor as Ive read some people jumped on some medication to help them get going again?
Thanks guys.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Actually? Surely there are other options to pursue first?

Probably I'd have to know you and your situation better. You should also definitely see a urologist, and order a blood hormonal panel of all the relevant panels. If you gained weight while on finasteride, cut it.

Massive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The CDnuts protocol might be your best help.
How comfortably are you going without food for 15-20 days, and then taking steroids? That helped him recover, he's fully recovered now.

Separately, consider joining the lawsuit:
https://www.schmidtandclark.com/finasteride

How do people succeed those 2 week water fasts ? It sounds utterly insane. I remember before I knew what a gym looked like and I was a 300lbs slob, but I had such a strong desire to lose weight, I must have ate like 600 calories a day for the first few weeks, I remember going to sleep and have this feeling I might die and not wake up, that's how I felt mentally.
I didn't know better back then...

I wonder if something like a week of water fasting could somehow benefit guys on hairloss treatment.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
How do people succeed those 2 week water fasts ? It sounds utterly insane. I remember before I knew what a gym looked like and I was a 300lbs slob, but I had such a strong desire to lose weight, I must have ate like 600 calories a day for the first few weeks, I remember going to sleep and have this feeling I might die and not wake up, that's how I felt mentally.
I didn't know better back then...

I wonder if something like a week of water fasting could somehow benefit guys on hairloss treatment.

You need to drink a lot of water of course.

A lot of people do therapeutic water fasting for 5, 20, 40 days etc. Look up any Alan goldhammer lecture on YouTube.

The world record is 372 days, where they monitored the guy's weight, blood, and urine. He lost 282 lbs and when they followed him up five years later he had kept the weight off and was in perfect health.

The purposes of water-only fasting include nearly permanent weight loss, organ healing, fighting cancer, and hormonal and endocrine resets.

Typically the first three days are very hard. Your body is not used to burning 3000 calories a day of adipose fat to supply you. So in the transition period you will be tired and cold.

The most I've done is 82 hours. It's difficult to schedule. I'm thinking of starting a two week fast middle of next week.

ETA: For hair loss, no idea empirically. People on YouTube claim that fasting restores their hairline and skin but who knows. Fasting does increase SHBG and lower insulin, which are both correlated with male pattern baldness, so that's strong evidence fasting might help.

chrisis

Reaction score
I did a 10 day fast to try to recover from PFS. It helped some of my symptoms but not all. My severe pelvic pain went away completely, but sexual sides remained.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
as we all know, ladies and gentlemen, maintaining wood can be difficult when the thought in your mind is "can i maintain wood? i hope i maintain wood. i need to maintain wood. wheres the wood? ", rather than "awesome, sex". men all around this great globe of ours do not maintain wood for precisely this reason. im absolutely sure that in a large number of post meds cases, wood is not maintained because the dudes are thinking about it, consciously or subconsciously. not always of course. but... before jumping on STEROIDS and fasts and doctor visits and lawsuits etc, i think its something to chill out and consider and then try to get around. if you can convince yourself that you are fine, rather than thinking about herbal remedies and doctors and posting to this board, you might be fine.

JohnDoe555

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. And Yetti, I actually completely agree with you, the mind and body are powerful on their own, which is why I have been doing no treatments for both hairloss or sides for the past month and a half to just allow my body to reset itself. I guess I was asking people with perhaps similar experiences to see how long is too long before I should look to something else to help it along, smaller, more natural helps like herbal remedies, perhaps fasting routines first then a medical based help if need be. This hairloss thing is still pretty new to me, starting in Feb this year and hitting really aggressively and looking back I wish I would have been more level headed about my approach but as everyone knows once the panic button has been pushed its hard to turn it off. Ive actually made my peace with the "loss" part now after a tough few months as Ill probably go the SMP route as Im still very young, so its just about correcting my body now. Any other thoughts or suggestions most definitely appreciated.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I did a 10 day fast to try to recover from PFS. It helped some of my symptoms but not all. My severe pelvic pain went away completely, but sexual sides remained.

Please discuss your experience in the intermittent fasting thread.

Will you try another fast?

Why did you stop at ten days?

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
as we all know, ladies and gentlemen, maintaining wood can be difficult when the thought in your mind is "can i maintain wood? i hope i maintain wood. i need to maintain wood. wheres the wood? ", rather than "awesome, sex". men all around this great globe of ours do not maintain wood for precisely this reason. im absolutely sure that in a large number of post meds cases, wood is not maintained because the dudes are thinking about it, consciously or subconsciously. not always of course. but... before jumping on STEROIDS and fasts and doctor visits and lawsuits etc, i think its something to chill out and consider and then try to get around. if you can convince yourself that you are fine, rather than thinking about herbal remedies and doctors and posting to this board, you might be fine.

Complete nonsense.

I remember what it's like to not have ED and in that state horniness overwhelmed all other emotions. Wood would usually survive even when other emotions were a priority.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Complete nonsense.

I remember what it's like to not have ED and in that state horniness overwhelmed all other emotions. Wood would usually survive even when other emotions were a priority.

Oh sh*t, I forgot, you are every dude in the world, and what you remember about your wood must apply to every dude. I forgot about your omniscience! How silly of me. You, a guy who has a NoFAP counter and a link to a tracker about it to inform the world exactly the last time you had an orgasm attached to every post you make, whose previous, NoFAP penis' "horniness overwhelmed all other emotions", are clearly the expert. Your "wood would survive", so that of course applies to every dude. Your wood is every wood. Every wood would survive because David MPN's would. My bad, sorry.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh sh*t, I forgot, you are every dude in the world, and what you remember about your wood must apply to every dude. I forgot about your omniscience! How silly of me. You, a guy who has a NoFAP counter and a link to a tracker about it to inform the world exactly the last time you had an orgasm attached to every post you make, whose previous, NoFAP penis' "horniness overwhelmed all other emotions", are clearly the expert. Your "wood would survive", so that of course applies to every dude. Your wood is every wood. Every wood would survive because David MPN's would. My bad, sorry.

It's worth more than your imaginary speculation.

Don't be a dick about people 's medical conditions.

Doesn't matter if it's ED, PFS, stomach pains, depression, anxiety, CFS, sleep paralysis, etc it's completely destructive of you to make baseless speculation founded in cope.

You're dismissing the experiences of a lot of people as a psychological effect but you have no f*****g idea.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
A guy I knew in graduate school used to argue that depression isn't a real illness. He said it was just an excuse people used as a crutch.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
LOL read this entire thread, from the first to the very last post, and then apologise.
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...effects-of-finasteride-plz-help-me-out.95388/

I know you are the self-styled intellectual of this board, but you don't know everything. I'm not being a dick. Dudes do get ED for psychological reasons, often, that's not speculation. Every guy reading this except perhaps you knows that's true. I didn't say that was definitely the reason, I said it's definitely possible and worth considering. What's being a dick is thinking you know everything, and posting that what I said is nonsense.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
LOL read this entire thread, from the first to the very last post, and then apologise.
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...effects-of-finasteride-plz-help-me-out.95388/

I know you are the self-styled intellectual of this board, but you don't know everything. I'm not being a dick. Dudes do get ED for psychological reasons, often, that's not speculation. Every guy reading this except perhaps you knows that's true. I didn't say that was definitely the reason, I said it's definitely possible and worth considering. What's being a dick is thinking you know everything, and posting that what I said is nonsense.

No, you're being a dick.

1) You're calling me the "Self styled intellectual of the board", I'm not. I have not sought that position either nor implied it at any point. It's an ad hominem on myself due to some issues that you are for whatever reason projecting. Further more your point is absurd as there are actually several very intelligent and informed posters on this board who are also effective communicators.

2) I do not claim to know everything, in fact I regularly ask questions.

3) Do you not think that the OP has already considered the obvious in the past 6+ weeks?
I honestly assume that he's already considered the possibility that the problems he's had since quitting finasteride and before are not purely in his head.

With that said, I'll acknowledge that my first post should have been longer and included easier options to try first -- but I fixed that in my second post when I suggested he see a doctor.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
No, I'm not being a dick. I suggested that it might be psychological, due to anxiety. And it well might be and you cannot say otherwise. Or rather, you can say otherwise, but politely. Instead, your reaction to my post was: "complete nonsense". An arrogant, self-styled intellectual dick who thinks he knows everything responds that way when someone offers well-meant advice and he thinks he knows better. Think about it.

And if you think that just because he's probably considered that it might be psychological, and because that realization hasn't fixed the problem then it's proof that the ED must be due to another cause, then you are seriously disconnected from the normal human experience. If a person is anxious about something and knows it, that realization itself does not necessarily make the anxiety disappear, and can in fact make it worse. Maybe that's not true for YOU and YOUR dick, I don't know. But your dick is not everydick, and it's very well established that stress and anxiety can cause ED.

http://www.webmd.com/erectile-dysfunction/guide/ed-psychological-causes

Last edited:

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
You need to drink a lot of water of course.

A lot of people do therapeutic water fasting for 5, 20, 40 days etc. Look up any Alan goldhammer lecture on YouTube.

The world record is 372 days, where they monitored the guy's weight, blood, and urine. He lost 282 lbs and when they followed him up five years later he had kept the weight off and was in perfect health.

The purposes of water-only fasting include nearly permanent weight loss, organ healing, fighting cancer, and hormonal and endocrine resets.

Typically the first three days are very hard. Your body is not used to burning 3000 calories a day of adipose fat to supply you. So in the transition period you will be tired and cold.

The most I've done is 82 hours. It's difficult to schedule. I'm thinking of starting a two week fast middle of next week.

ETA: For hair loss, no idea empirically. People on YouTube claim that fasting restores their hairline and skin but who knows. Fasting does increase SHBG and lower insulin, which are both correlated with male pattern baldness, so that's strong evidence fasting might help.

Interesting, I'm going to look into this. I've always had a relatively easy time staying off food. Never did more than 48 hours though. I would have thought the negatives would outweigh the benifits of fasting. I read somewhere that if you lose weight quick enough you burn muscles along with your fat.

Alk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting, I'm going to look into this. I've always had a relatively easy time staying off food. Never did more than 48 hours though. I would have thought the negatives would outweigh the benifits of fasting. I read somewhere that if you lose weight quick enough you burn muscles along with your fat.

undreds of things can cause ed but when you take medication that can clearly effect your erections, its best to start there. I would not suggest anyone fast for more than 10 days without plety of reasearch or supervision, long fasts will cause Telogen Effluvium about one to theee months later, and long fasts (although very beneficial to some including myself) will cause loss of organ tissue and require pre fasts that store nutrition. Also having something like cancer, a heart condition, or bowel deseases and water fasting is very stressfull to the body and requires a docotors supervision. Benefits of fasting definitely outweigh negatives.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
No, I'm not being a dick. I suggested that it might be psychological, due to anxiety. And it well might be and you cannot say otherwise. Or rather, you can say otherwise, but politely. Instead, your reaction to my post was: "complete nonsense". An arrogant, self-styled intellectual dick who thinks he knows everything responds that way when someone offers well-meant advice and he thinks he knows better. Think about it.

And if you think that just because he's probably considered that it might be psychological, and because that realization hasn't fixed the problem then it's proof that the ED must be due to another cause, then you are seriously disconnected from the normal human experience. If a person is anxious about something and knows it, that realization itself does not necessarily make the anxiety disappear, and can in fact make it worse. Maybe that's not true for YOU and YOUR dick, I don't know. But your dick is not everydick, and it's very well established that stress and anxiety can cause ED.

http://www.webmd.com/erectile-dysfunction/guide/ed-psychological-causes

I see you're sticking to your lies and your defamation. So be it.

I'm going to post more supportive examples.

A few years ago my friend's mom had major headaches. She went to the doctor and they told her she had stress and anxiety and sent her on her way. She really had an aneurysm, then she died.

Around that time a male relative had stomach aches. The doctors told him he had a lot of stress. It turns out he had esophogeal cancer. He almost died. He now lives with missing organs, he can't digest food properly, and has early osteoperosis as a 38 year-old male.

A friend of mine went to the doctor with a racing heartbeat two years ago. They prescribed him anti-anxiety medication. It turns out he had congested heart failure. He almost died. He now has a transplant which he got just in time.

My suggestion is that if you have a persistent medical problem, say something that lasts more than six weeks, don't just assume it's a placebo-driven anomaly. Go do a doctor and pursue the issue aggressively.