Now I Finally Understand Why dutasteride Doesn't Work As Well

BaldingHelpMe

Established Member
Reaction score
Now I finally understand why dutasteride doesn't work as well as finasteride for me. I found out that dutasteride reduces sebum production to a level that makes my skin very dry. I found out that skin and hair do require healthy amount of sebum to grow.

Dutasteride does stop my male pattern baldness, but dry skin makes my hair brittle and fall out more easily. So, it doesn't work as well as when I just take finasteride. Everyone's skin is different.

To those who take dutasteride regularly, does it make your skin super dry?

BaldingHelpMe

Established Member
Reaction score
To make myself a bit clearer. Dutasteride inhibits 5AR type-1, which then reduces sebum production. Sebum is a type of oil under the skin, which is actually essential to healthy skin and hair. You don't want it to be too much, or too little, Unfortunately for me, dutasteride seems to reduce too much sebum production which makes my skin too dry.

hmm420

My Regimen
Reaction score
My hair started really thinning out in the past year, hair gets really greasy/oily after a day or even half a day of washing my head. I'm really thinking about starting from dutasteride rather than finasteride to see some regrowth, thickening and halting the hair loss...
Since it reduces sebum poduction I think it would be better than finasteride, because none of the "drying" shampoos help.. It just dries the hair itself but it gets oily real quick.

Last edited:

ryan r

Established Member
Reaction score
finasteride did wonders for me, dutasteride is killing my hairline, should I just drop dutasteride all together? it worked fine everywhere else except the hairline. Right now Im trying taking dutasteride once every 4 days, and finasteride everyday. Back on minoxidil as well, should have been so casual and not use it, thinking it did nothing. Maybe that's why I slowly started progressing again when on finasteride...