Novel Effect Of Sildenafil On Hair Growth

mojojuju224

My Regimen
Reaction score
"We confirmed high expression of PDE5 in hDPCs and hHFs. Sildenafil enhances proliferation of hDPCs and up-regulates the mRNA expression of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF), which are responsible for hair growth. Additionally, sildenafil up-regulates the levels of phosphorylated ERK and accelerates anagen induction by stimulating perifollicular vessel formation after topical application in mice."

"Our study demonstrates for the first time, the significant therapeutic potential of sildenafil on hair growth and its potential use in treatment of alopecia."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30292404

Last edited:

mojojuju224

My Regimen
Reaction score
Their results suggest sildenafil could possible be as effective as minoxidil. Interesting, too, because I saw a press release where Veru is working on releasing Tadalafil/Finasteride combination tablets to the market soon for BPH. It might be an interesting combination for hair loss if you could get a script.

HairCook

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There was a study in 2006 in children with areata. There was Venus and terminal regrowth. There was further a more recently a study about a pde3 inhibitor being good for hair, pde4 was also shown to be upregulated in areata ( funny enough I saw East Indian sandalwood oil including a pde4 inhibitor) .

Anyways some could try Tadalafil. The childrens study dosage was a 1% sildenafil topically twice a day.

For Ed 5mg Tadalafil daily was shown to better more efficous than 20mg acute orally. Sildenafil oral dosage is 50-100mg acute if so remember correctly. 1% Sildenafil means 10mg/ml for ppl not aware.

Both erectile dysfunction and androgenetic alopecia correlate with increased risk of coronary artery desease. And for both nitric oxide is beneficial. Hence I am bringing it up.

Means Tadalafil could be way more economical, potent and has even a slightly lower molecular weight.

Last edited:

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Pricing on Tadalifil is about $156 USD for twenty-eight 5mg tabs at Canadian online pharmacies.

HairCook

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Pricing on Tadalifil is about $156 USD for twenty-eight 5mg tabs at Canadian online pharmacies.

If you want to make a topical you take 20mg tabs, so you need to deal with less fillers.

24x20mg cost 62 euro by prescription. (Without insurance coverance) here. Just find a cool Doctor.

In

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you want to make a topical you take 20mg tabs, so you need to deal with less fillers.

24x20mg cost 62 euro by prescription. (Without insurance coverance) here. Just find a cool Doctor.

In

@HairCook, based on the recommended concentration, how long do you think a mixture of those 24 tabs would last? And how often to apply?

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Probably topically has a similar effect to minoxidil.
But orally ( higher concentration) it increase testosterone and dht. The study is on pubmed

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
Probably topically has a similar effect to minoxidil.
But orally ( higher concentration) it increase testosterone and dht. The study is on pubmed

I don’t think tadalifil has an effect on test and dht. Link that study, would definitely like to review that. How could it shrink the prostate and also increase the same thing that causes it to enlarge?

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
“Serum testosterone, dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and oestrogens were measured using liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. Administration of an optimized dose of sildenafil was associated with mean increases of 3.6 nmol/L (103 ng/dL; p < 0.001) and 110 pmol/L (31.7 pg/mL; p < 0.001) in total and free testosterone levels respectively. This was accompanied by parallel increases in serum DHT (0.17 nmol/L; 4.9 ng/dL; p < 0.001) and oestradiol (14 pmol/L; 3.7 pg/mL; p < 0.001) and significant suppression of luteinizing hormone (change -1.3 units/L; p = 0.003) levels, suggesting a direct effect at the testicular level. Androstenedione and oestrone increased by 1.3 nmol/L (38 ng/dL; p = 0.011) and 10.7 pmol/L (2.9 pg/mL; p = 0.012), respectively, supporting a possible effect of sildenafil on adrenal steroidogenesis. In conclusion, sildenafil administration was associated with increased testosterone levels likely ascribable to a direct effect on the testis”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24106072/#fft

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
“Serum testosterone, dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and oestrogens were measured using liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. Administration of an optimized dose of sildenafil was associated with mean increases of 3.6 nmol/L (103 ng/dL; p < 0.001) and 110 pmol/L (31.7 pg/mL; p < 0.001) in total and free testosterone levels respectively. This was accompanied by parallel increases in serum DHT (0.17 nmol/L; 4.9 ng/dL; p < 0.001) and oestradiol (14 pmol/L; 3.7 pg/mL; p < 0.001) and significant suppression of luteinizing hormone (change -1.3 units/L; p = 0.003) levels, suggesting a direct effect at the testicular level. Androstenedione and oestrone increased by 1.3 nmol/L (38 ng/dL; p = 0.011) and 10.7 pmol/L (2.9 pg/mL; p = 0.012), respectively, supporting a possible effect of sildenafil on adrenal steroidogenesis. In conclusion, sildenafil administration was associated with increased testosterone levels likely ascribable to a direct effect on the testis”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24106072/#fft

I thought you meant tadalifil

carlos guachiturro

Reaction score
Novel effect of sildenafil on hair growth <click for link>

"We confirmed high expression of PDE5 in hDPCs and hHFs. Sildenafil enhances proliferation of hDPCs and up-regulates the mRNA expression of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF), which are responsible for hair growth. Additionally, sildenafil up-regulates the levels of phosphorylated ERK and accelerates anagen induction by stimulating perifollicular vesselformation after topical application in mice."https://sci-hub.tw/10.1016/j.bbrc.2018.09.164

upload_2020-9-16_15-13-57.png

Dat5Years

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Cheap as hell to buy an also get on script easy so free/7 quid for UK peeps. How would you make a topical?

carsonjz

My Regimen
Reaction score
It appears that finasteride and PDE-5 Inhibators work well together while still maintaining the efficacy of finasteride. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar...own that the,associated with 5-ARI treatments..

Unfortuntely, I wasn't able to find any analysis of the DHT levels of users of Finesteride and Tadalifil from this study. Might be worth trying daily Tadalfil in light of the numerous health benefits of Tadalfil besides the potential hair effects.

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The usual I would guess: Ethyl alcohol, and distilled water. One thing we know is that they are safe (the usual disclaimer: I am not a doctor.)