Not Ok To Use Isopropyl To Remove A Hair System?

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was replying to a comment on the MHE Youtube channel, and Curtis replied saying that for removal you should 'use an actual hair system remover', and that 'Isopropyl is only for the final wipedown'.

This is news to me as I've been using 99% Isopropyl to remove and clean my hair systems. To remove, I spray the Isopropyl onto a round cotton pad, dab it on the edges of my system and gently remove it as the Isopropyl weakens the adhesive bond. I keep dabbing onto the edges, pulling it back further until the whole unit is removed. This works fine for me, and is better for the system than spraying Isopropyl onto the hair and through the system.

After reading his comment, is this wrong? Who else here uses Isopropyl to remove their system?

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use it all the time, to clean scalp prior to attaching, as a positioning spray, to remove unit, clean unit, etc.. I have been wearing lace, and to remove, I use a bottle with tip ( similar to hair dye bottle) and drench the base.

Have ben wearing a uts (thin skin ) unit in the last 2 weeks and find isopropyl not as good to clean ghostbond off skin... ( see other post)

Also note that I wear 80% synthetic, so not as much of an issue (drying up hair)

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I like Curtis fine, but I'm guessing that he just happens to have the product you need to do this. There may be other products that make the job easier - but I don't see Isopropyl weakening or damaging the system.

My two cents...

HairPiece

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello every one i am new at forum.
I have been wearing hair piece for 7 years and use isopropyl alcohol.Cheapest way to get isopropyl,buy it from the chemistry home/fabrics.
I have method to cleaning toupee with isopropyl alcohol.
For the good cleaning and completely remove adhesive residue from piece;

1-) Use like deep plate/bowl ,Your hair piece should be fix on plate or bowl you choose,
2-) fill it with isopropyl alcohol(pure %99) ,( 100 ml , 150 ml enough) you have to spend a lot of alcohol If deepth of the bowl is very deep
Make sure that hair piece must be fully inside of Isopropyl Alcohol
3-) put your hair in it.
4-) And wait 15-20 min.
5-) After the time is over,
6-) Remove the tapes with your hand (it would be better if you wear a glove)
7-) You will see that the tapes come off easily in one piece,just like peeling potatoes.
:cool: After the remove tapes,You can put hair piece again into alcohol to remove residue of the adhesive.
9-) Wait 10-15 minute.
10-) Find a non woven fabric (wet tower works),and clean underside of the hair with fabric.

You will see that your hair piece will be very clean,like new.
This way doesnt work to remove old residue of tape.

You can use the c22 solvent to clean your head.The best one.

For the all detail and trick visit my blog page about hair piece : protezsacblogum.com

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello every one i am new at forum.
I have been wearing hair piece for 7 years and use isopropyl alcohol.Cheapest way to get isopropyl,buy it from the chemistry home/fabrics.
I have method to cleaning toupee with isopropyl alcohol.
For the good cleaning and completely remove adhesive residue from piece;

1-) Use like deep plate/bowl ,Your hair piece should be fix on plate or bowl you choose,
2-) fill it with isopropyl alcohol(pure %99) ,( 100 ml , 150 ml enough) you have to spend a lot of alcohol If deepth of the bowl is very deep
Make sure that hair piece must be fully inside of Isopropyl Alcohol
3-) put your hair in it.
4-) And wait 15-20 min.
5-) After the time is over,
6-) Remove the tapes with your hand (it would be better if you wear a glove)
7-) You will see that the tapes come off easily in one piece,just like peeling potatoes.
:cool: After the remove tapes,You can put hair piece again into alcohol to remove residue of the adhesive.
9-) Wait 10-15 minute.
10-) Find a non woven fabric (wet tower works),and clean underside of the hair with fabric.

You will see that your hair piece will be very clean,like new.
This way doesnt work to remove old residue of tape.

You can use the c22 solvent to clean your head.The best one.

For the all detail and trick visit my blog page about hair piece : protezsacblogum.com

Hi,

So soaking does two things.

1. Wastes alcohol.

2. Soaks the hair, which can lead to stripping off all the conditioner you have been using it to keep the hair soft, and shiny.

Put the alcohol in a spray bottle, and spray the tapes instead. It's the same 15 minutes, and the tapes come off easily.

This is what we do for all of our lace clients who use tape.

Steve

HairPiece

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not so much alcohol.

Okey i get it you can easily remove tape.What about the residue of the band/adhesive.?

How do you remove residue of the band on the lace systems ?
This residue hurt knots and cause loss of the hair by time by.

Can not remove the residue in hair knots with spray
Meanwhile, you can apply the conditioner over and over again.

This is my method you can try.It doesnt hurt for once

Last edited:

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not so much alcohol.

Okey i get it you can easily remove band.What about the residue of the band/adhesive.?

How do you remove residue of the band on the lace systems ?
This residue hurt knots and cause loss of the hair by time by.

Can not remove the residue in hair knots with spray
Meanwhile, you can apply the conditioner over and over again.

This is my method you can try.It doesnt hurt for once

By "band" do you mean the PU that some lace systems have?

If so, if the alcohol doesn't work... the PU can be sticky, then C-22 on a small cloth or cotton swab works fine.

For the residue on the lace I use C-22 and a longer soak.