Norwood 3 Been Receding For 5 Years Any Hope To Regrow?

Mr_Reeses

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Sorry I don't have pics but here's my best description on my current situation.
I am a norwood 3 and slightly thinning it's very unnoticeable right now. I have been receding for 5 years and started noticing a norwood 2 at age 17. Now my question is this, how long can hair live once it's been miniaturized and in the resting phase? Can you and have you experienced regrowth back to say a norwood 2 or 1.5 from a norwood 3?

Current Regime: Dutasteride 1 month, Nizoral 1 year and 1 month, spironolactone/S5 Cream in the mail and starting soon. I also hope to get back on Rogaine 5% in the next 6 months after I see what dutasteride and spironolactone can do for me. I know Nizoral has helped a lot with itching and sebum.

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
IF you add Rogaine to your regimen you have a very decent chance of getting back to a NW2 position, given all those anti-androgens you're using, however without Rogaine your temple growth will be severly limited. Your hair would thicken up all round, but you couldn't expect to gain more than half a Norwood at the temples, so I strongly recommend adding Rogaine is temple growth is your goal.

Mr_Reeses

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks Primo! :)

kthxbi

Established Member
Reaction score
primo pretty much described it personally. i was probably just about a NW3, very heavy NW2 when i started. i'm on nizoral n finasteride exclusively and have thickened up all over and darkened my hair visibly, and gained probably a half a Norwood. i can deal with that. if it keeps getting thicker and hopefully better in the hairline department over the next 5 or 6 months (i'm about 7 months in) and i can maintain that then i'll be a very satisfied customer.

Mr_Reeses

Established Member
Reaction score
Good Luck kthxbi! :)

Patrick54

Established Member
Reaction score
I think you have a very good chance of getting back a lot of your hair with the Dutasteride, at around 3 months you should start seeing some regrowth. Good luck!

Mr_Reeses

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks, I sure hope so. Three months is really early though, if I start to regrow most of what I lost in that amount of time then I can't wait to see what 12 months will look like! Hoping for at least a NW2 feeling good about a NW1.5. Right now my head is shaved down to a 2 guard and I will grow it out if I can get a NW2. :)

Patrick54

Established Member
Reaction score
Dutasteride is a great drug, I took a loading dose of 1.5mgs a day for the first 10 days then .5 mg a day afterwards and started seeing some regrowth at around 2 months. Keep us posted.

Mr_Reeses

Established Member
Reaction score
I will definitely keep you posted. Actually right now it feels like all the hairs on my head are growing at the same time (like a weird tingling sensation) kinda cool. it feels nice when I run my hand over my head too (stronger hairs), not like before when I could feel weak hairs, I'm feeling good about it all today! :)

anxious1

Established Member
Reaction score
If u say its unnoticeable, i doubt its norwood 3, and therefore it may even not be male pattern baldness, it may just be a mature hairline.

And therefore treatsments wont really help. U cant really reverse a mature hairline, or a norwood 2, apart from the good responders to minoxidil.

zsnowstorm

Reaction score
NW3 is very noticeable. Doesn't matter how I style my hair it can't be covered. Pictures would help.

Good luck anyways you have an ambitions regime and you can't do so much more than that.

Mr_Reeses

Established Member
Reaction score
anxious1 said:
If u say its unnoticeable, i doubt its norwood 3, and therefore it may even not be male pattern baldness, it may just be a mature hairline.

And therefore treatsments wont really help. U cant really reverse a mature hairline, or a norwood 2, apart from the good responders to minoxidil.

no it's definitely male pattern baldness, it's pretty obvious. I'm not jumping to conclusions (I look different, BIG give away) my dad is a NW6 been receding since he was 19 he's 52. I sent my photos into a hair transplant doctor and he told me it's a NW3 I thought it was a NW2 but I was wrong, I was a NW2 at 18. The thinning in the crown and on top of my head is unnoticeable atm. the NW3 is very clear. and btw. I'm already seeing regrowth at 1 month dutasteride. :)

Mr_Reeses

Established Member
Reaction score
zsnowstorm said:
NW3 is very noticeable. Doesn't matter how I style my hair it can't be covered. Pictures would help.

Good luck anyways you have an ambitions regime and you can't do so much more than that.

I plan on posting pictures sometime in the future after regrowth. I've been taking pictures since day 1 every thirty days.

Mr_Reeses

Established Member
Reaction score
anxious1 said:
If ur already seeing regrowth after 1 month, then y r u here asking for help?

Who do you think you are? Do you have a problem with me asking questions I don't know answers to? Go pick a fight with someone else. I'm asking for help because I need help...I'm here for help and support. I have a question for you, what are you here for if you're not helping are you here to bash people and make them appear stupid? Do you honestly believe I'm typing away on my free time at HairLossTalk.com and I'm not worried and don't need help. HAHA you're funny. My Question is asking other people (nice people preferably) here at HairLossTalk that have or had a NW3 receding in the last five years if they had regrowth... you're very ignorant aren't you. Yes I did say I have regrowth at 1 month, nowhere near what I'm expecting at 6-12 months (which is why I'm asking). You're question strikes me as funny, do you think about what you're saying before you say it?

P.S.

karma bites you in the ***. Go tell everyone else here that has had regrowth that they don't belong here and they should just leave. *cough*sarcasm*cough* (no seriously don't do that) Because one day if and when I have regrowth I will still be here helping those who don't know if they will regrow from a NW3 to give them a little more hope :)

anxious1

Established Member
Reaction score
hey take it easy mate, im on ur side.

that was a major over reaction, and i dont appreciate it.

Ur thread is titled 'norwood 3 been receding for 5 yrs any hope to regrow', and now ur saying youve got regrowth. u also said ur a norwood 3 but its unnoticeable.

Ur contradicting urself and not making much sense. And when i question it, u respond like that, and insult and threaten me with karma????

Ive been trying to help ppl on hairloss forums for years, most recently this forum. I never told u to leave, so chill out, im not the enemy.

If u fly off the handle over nothing like that, then i think i know wats causing ur hairloss. Or perhaps the dutasteride is giving u mood swings or something.

Mr_Reeses

Established Member
Reaction score
anxious1 said:
hey take it easy mate, im on ur side.

that was a major over reaction, and i dont appreciate it.

Ur thread is titled 'norwood 3 been receding for 5 yrs any hope to regrow', and now ur saying youve got regrowth. u also said ur a norwood 3 but its unnoticeable.

Ur contradicting urself and not making much sense. And when i question it, u respond like that, and insult and threaten me with karma????

Ive been trying to help ppl on hairloss forums for years, most recently this forum. I never told u to leave, so chill out, im not the enemy.

If u fly off the handle over nothing like that, then i think i know wats causing ur hairloss. Or perhaps the dutasteride is giving u mood swings or something.

How is a NW3 unnoticeable, read my story a little closer. I said I'm a nw3 and the thinning is unnoticeable (the title was created before regrowth, I actually shaved my hair and noticed thickening). Careful what you post, you may get the wrong reaction. I didn't appreciate you questioning why I'm asking for help, why would you ask such a question, where is that going to get you? what am I suppose to say to that???? Ask more appropriate questions, maybe "hey Reeses, you mentioned you had regrowth, how much regrowth? maybe you should re-post and ask if you'll regrow to a NW2 from a NW3" :) but why are you here?? :thumbdown2:

Karma is not a threat, I'm not inflicting any harm on you verbally or physically, karma is something you put on yourself.

Mr_Reeses

Established Member
Reaction score
rwhairlosstalk said:
Hey do you guys think dutasteride is better than spironolactone for regrowth?

Yes I'm a woman.

dutasteride is for men

anxious1

Established Member
Reaction score
Mr reeses said:
How is a NW3 unnoticeable, read my story a little closer. I said I'm a nw3 and the thinning is unnoticeable

I never said Norwood 3 is unnoticable, i said the following

in response to ur original post, where u said

I am a norwood 3 and slightly thinning it's very unnoticeable right now

YOU were the one that said its unnoticable originally, and that is wat i was responding to.

u may have later clarified by saying
The thinning in the crown and on top of my head is unnoticeable atm.

but this was AFTER i had replied to the original post.

Mr reeses said:
I didn't appreciate you questioning why I'm asking for help, why would you ask such a question, where is that going to get you? what am I suppose to say to that????

Dont u think ur over reacting just a tad? all i said was

If ur already seeing regrowth after 1 month, then y r u here asking for help?

It really didnt require such an aggressive reply. It was just a simple non combatant question on a internet forum, nothing to get ur panties in a twist over!