Norwood 3 at age 22 sucks lol.

eix

Reaction score
Welp, the inevitable has finally hit. My father had male pattern baldness and my uncles on my mother side of the family are 50/50 some are bald, some aren't. I was hoping I'd be lucky but reality hits. I must say, it is rather devastating to be at such a young age and to lose hair. I have a fringe and I style an asian hairstyle so it's not noticeable most of the time. I have noticed that I started losing a lot of hair recently and bam. Norwood 3. I'm hoping to see a dermatologist soon but I'm not sure if there are a specific type of dermatologist I need to see. I also did a bit of lurking and understand the most cost effective way to go about things would be to get on Proscar and cut them into 4ths. I'm not too sure about the rogaine foam or the cost of it. Would be great if you guys could give me some estimates per month and more information on the foams. (I could do more digging but.. yes)

Here are pics to verify that I am indeed nw3. From the side view and such it doesn't appear to be nw3 quite yet however when i look from the top of my head I can see that the dreaded island is forming and my temples have receded a lot. I also notice thinning at the top of my head and that's rather recent. Not noticeable most of the time but I am quite aware of it.

Note: I've always had a high forehead but I'm clearly balding. Most likely at nw3 or 2.5
2014-02-08-17-24-28_photo.jpg2014-02-08-17-24-42_photo.jpg2014-02-08-17-24-52_photo.jpg2014-02-15-02-31-37_photo.jpg

Plan is to maintain this hairline or at least slow it down, just being realistic here. Then later on after I graduate and my income stabilizes I will most likely be looking into FUE. Just to have a head of hair until it doesn't matter as much (mid 30s) Theeen I really wouldn't care if I had to sport a monk head. Hiya!

Also, as devastating as it is, I'm not exactly depressed over it. I think we need to treat male pattern baldness less seriously. I feel that many younger users that come here experiencing what they believe to be male pattern baldness tends to be rather dramatic about their approach and perspective. It's just hair man, it won't affect your chances at finding a loved one or your ability to find a career. I suppose once in a blue moon someone will say something about it but if you have positive energy and confidence in yourself despite the fact, you'll be ok. This is coming from a skinny balding asian male haha. Don't let trivial things affect your confidence!

Solutions out so far that seem to work are minoxidil (ingredient of rogaine (correct me if I'm wrong)) and finasteride (also known as proscar and propecia depending on the dosage). I guess that's the best we can do for now, c'est la vie.

monkeysee

Reaction score
You have exactly the same hairline and thickness as me when I was 18.

Still got a fair few more years left before you go bald, plus a few more if you use concealer.

g.i joey

Reaction score
nice im exactlty where you are at 22 so i feel for u bro, my hair actuallty might be thinner...

Folliman

Established Member
Reaction score
That looks like norwood 2 to me. Maybe 2.5 but definitely not a 3. The hair you have seems really thick. I think you'll maintain it no problem with finasteride and you can use rogaine to mask your temple recession. Hair loss sucks but one does what one can do. :)

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
That looks like norwood 2 to me. Maybe 2.5 but definitely not a 3. The hair you have seems really thick. I think you'll maintain it no problem with finasteride and you can use rogaine to mask your temple recession. Hair loss sucks but one does what one can do. :)

agreed with everything here. Thick hair, more than NW2, less than NW3, you can make some decent progress and style it for years to come. You wont be happy with it, but it will be good enough that people aren't going to be calling you the bald guy for some years yet.

Fightingroost12

Reaction score
I like your perspectives on the whole thing. I just came to terms with the fact that I'm going bald at 23 and after a few minutes of heating up and panicking I thought "Wait I shave my hair a lot anyways. This really isn't a big deal"

Dazzel

Established Member
Reaction score
Welp, the inevitable has finally hit. My father had male pattern baldness and my uncles on my mother side of the family are 50/50 some are bald, some aren't. I was hoping I'd be lucky but reality hits. I must say, it is rather devastating to be at such a young age and to lose hair. I have a fringe and I style an asian hairstyle so it's not noticeable most of the time. I have noticed that I started losing a lot of hair recently and bam. Norwood 3. I'm hoping to see a dermatologist soon but I'm not sure if there are a specific type of dermatologist I need to see. I also did a bit of lurking and understand the most cost effective way to go about things would be to get on Proscar and cut them into 4ths. I'm not too sure about the rogaine foam or the cost of it. Would be great if you guys could give me some estimates per month and more information on the foams. (I could do more digging but.. yes)

Here are pics to verify that I am indeed nw3. From the side view and such it doesn't appear to be nw3 quite yet however when i look from the top of my head I can see that the dreaded island is forming and my temples have receded a lot. I also notice thinning at the top of my head and that's rather recent. Not noticeable most of the time but I am quite aware of it.

Note: I've always had a high forehead but I'm clearly balding. Most likely at nw3 or 2.5
View attachment 23980View attachment 23981View attachment 23982View attachment 23983

Plan is to maintain this hairline or at least slow it down, just being realistic here. Then later on after I graduate and my income stabilizes I will most likely be looking into FUE. Just to have a head of hair until it doesn't matter as much (mid 30s) Theeen I really wouldn't care if I had to sport a monk head. Hiya!

Also, as devastating as it is, I'm not exactly depressed over it. I think we need to treat male pattern baldness less seriously. I feel that many younger users that come here experiencing what they believe to be male pattern baldness tends to be rather dramatic about their approach and perspective. It's just hair man, it won't affect your chances at finding a loved one or your ability to find a career. I suppose once in a blue moon someone will say something about it but if you have positive energy and confidence in yourself despite the fact, you'll be ok. This is coming from a skinny balding asian male haha. Don't let trivial things affect your confidence!

Solutions out so far that seem to work are minoxidil (ingredient of rogaine (correct me if I'm wrong)) and finasteride (also known as proscar and propecia depending on the dosage). I guess that's the best we can do for now, c'est la vie.

Wait until you shave your head