Normal (??) test results

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
SIGH...SIGH

I got my test results back, and they are alll normal, although some are on the LOW side of normal. DHEAs, FSH, prolactin, T4, T3, TSH, LH, testosterone, HGB A1C, random glucose and two other thyroid tests.

About the only two left to test are estrogen and progesterone. I KNOW progesterone was LOW, I'm been taking 100mg prometrium for one week and my libido is already improving. :)

The down side, I've heard/read that progesterone can stop hair loss, but doesn't do much to grow hair. Is this for real?

So, the next thing, what to use. I REALLY don't want to put more pills into my body.
Rogaine doesn't like my scalp, and I don't want to use it the rest of my live, for peach fuzz.
Topical spironolactone?? Any comments.
Steroid Injections??? My derm is willing to try these on me, now that my blood work is done. Anyone tried this?

It's getting frustrating!! Start femhrt, start losing lots of hair 4 months later.... DUUHHHHH, there MUST be a connection. The gyn I see on Aug 5 will have to put me on natural hormones...and get me a topical spironolactone scrip. (Is their such a thing???) If I balance estrogen/progesterone, will my body, and my hair, normalize?? :roll:

jvantin1

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry about your "normal" results. I know how frustrated you must be. And hell-OOOOOO, I've posted several times about topical spironolactone! :laugh:

Anyway, I've been using it on and on for about 2 weeks. I'm scared to use it twice a day in case it does trigger shedding, so I'm using it mostly on my temples, which are hidden by hair. Dr. Lee says there is NO CHANCE of this stuff triggering a shed; kevin at keratin says there is.

Gotta buy topical spironolactone from Dr. Lee, unless you want to make your own--many of the guys here have, apparently.

If you end up using it, I would love to compare notes. Good luck.

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
jvantin1 said:
Hi,

Sorry about your "normal" results. I know how frustrated you must be. And hell-OOOOOO, I've posted several times about topical spironolactone! :laugh:

Anyway, I've been using it on and on for about 2 weeks.

:twisted: Yeah, well, I do feel a bit embarrassed. You kept talking about it, and I kept saying it's a high blood pressure medicine. The endo was gonna give me a scrip for the pills, but then my blood work came back normal...She and I had a discussion on its merits/safety, and I felt it would be safe enough. She felt my adrenals were out of whack, and that turned out to NOT be the case.
So, I don't know. I've upped my Folligen use, to twice a day. I started the progesterone last week. I also will be off synthetic hormones, as soon as I see the new gyn on Aug5th.
jvantin1 said:
If you end up using it, I would love to compare notes. Good luck.
Will do. By Aug 5th, you should see some progress, hopefully. Please let me know esp. about shedding, as I am still in a shedding phase.
I'm still undecided and CONFUSED about the next step. spironolactone or injections. :roll: I'll talk both options over with my derm. Maybe her pharmacist can get the topical spironolactone for me. Also, my insurance pays for the injections, price may be a deciding factor.

jvantin1 said:
Gotta buy topical spironolactone from Dr. Lee, unless you want to make your own--many of the guys here have, apparently.
I wonder how the guys make their own. Do you know, if not, I'll post the question. If not, I'll have to go to dr. lee's website.

Good luck with the spironolactone!! And keep us up-to-date on your rogress, please. :) :)

Rozzy252

Established Member
Reaction score
MarieJoe,
I understand where you are coming from when you expect that blood tests will shed some light on the cause of your hairloss. My ferritin was low so my derm put me on supplements since April. Problem is my hair has been shedding like Telogen Effluvium ever since. So it hasn't helped...and I'm back at square one...so I do understand where you are coming from... Maybe the progesterone will help....you'll have to keep me posted. I mean it may not grow back what you've already lost but...look at the pro...if it can stop any more shedding.....then that will be a good thing....

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
rozzy...
I hate to get in the mind-set that if only the shedding stops, but... 8O
If the progesterone stops the loss, with "norma"l regrowth, I ain't gonna b**ch :rockon:
My stylist/friend told me yesterday I have loss ALL over my head, so there goes the FPB theory!! But, my scalp and attached hair is VERY healthy looking. [thank God for that]
Maybe the thinning was inevitable, but all-at-once over 9 months SUCKS :cry:
Thanks for the kind thoughts, I'll keep you posted, you do likewise, :)