Non Lace Front Systems Vs Lace Systems

Firsttimer1982

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello, I've decided to try a piece and saw a place that does good systems (Frankie Cochrane in London) the video of a lad looks good. But I'm wondering if the systems have no lace front is the hair line going to look realistic or will it look false?

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What would it have instead of lace - skin?

I hope it wasnt a total cover plus piece as they can resemble a wall of hair

Noah

Reaction score
If it is not lace, the chances are it is a "skin" base - i.e. a very fine plastic membrane. Skin bases can look very good - it actually mimics a human scalp better than lace, but the hairlines are not as good. Whereas lace can actually completely disappear if it is attached correctly, with skin there is always a line at the edge of the piece which is visible on close inspection. So in my view skin based hairpieces are not suitable if you want to wear a style which exposes your hairline to full view. If you are OK with a concealed hairline, they are fine.

Firsttimer1982

My Regimen
Reaction score
If it is not lace, the chances are it is a "skin" base - i.e. a very fine plastic membrane. Skin bases can look very good - it actually mimics a human scalp better than lace, but the hairlines are not as good. Whereas lace can actually completely disappear if it is attached correctly, with skin there is always a line at the edge of the piece which is visible on close inspection. So in my view skin based hairpieces are not suitable if you want to wear a style which exposes your hairline to full view. If you are OK with a concealed hairline, they are fine.

Firsttimer1982

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks Noah, yes it's a skin base. I'm not sure I can pull off a concealed hairline, was hoping for a bit of lift at the front so maybe a messy choppy look might be better. Bit old for a fade

Noah

Reaction score
If you haven't actually put down your money, I would suggest you look at lace systems before you commit if you definitely want an exposed hairline. For some reason most salons seem to push skin systems these days - maybe they are cheaper for them, or maybe they reckon they are easier for newbies to maintain (which may be true). But in my view lace is the best result for most people in the long run.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
As a first system I would recommend Swiss Lace. As Noah says, the hairline can look natural. Its more breathable and durable too.

samantha3333

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Does lace "disappear" if it's a wig rather than a hair piece? I've never seen a 100% realistic wig

Hairy bear

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack the thread.

Does lace "disappear" if it's a wig rather than a hair piece? I've never seen a 100% realistic wig
What do you mean by 'wig' they are all wigs if we are honest, but an extremely good wig, bonded to your skull, isn't the same as something out of the fancy dress store.

Clarity please

samantha3333

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What do you mean by 'wig' they are all wigs if we are honest, but an extremely good wig, bonded to your skull, isn't the same as something out of the fancy dress store.

Clarity please

By wigs I meant the ones that come with an elastic band or clips which you don't have to glue to scalp. But I'm looking for a full cap wig which I'll be gluing the front to my scalp.

John Henry

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you haven't actually put down your money, I would suggest you look at lace systems before you commit if you definitely want an exposed hairline. For some reason most salons seem to push skin systems these days - maybe they are cheaper for them, or maybe they reckon they are easier for newbies to maintain (which may be true). But in my view lace is the best result for most people in the long run.
YES LACE WOULD BE BETTER. SKIN FALLS APART TOO FAST. LACE IS MORE NATURAL.