Non-antiadrogenic alternative treatments?

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to make a list of the alternative treatments that are non-antiandrogenic?

I know of few, but here is what I know:

- Ceterezine
- Biotin
- Vit D supplementation
- Scalp massage

Zix might be working as a weak antiandrogen given the zinc in it, but unsure.

Regan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Laser cap, I suppose.

What counts as an alternative treatment, exactly? Adenosine for example works without being antiandrogenic.

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Laser cap, I suppose.

What counts as an alternative treatment, exactly? Adenosine for example works without being antiandrogenic.

Let's say everything but finasteride, Duta, and minoxidil, as alternatives here. Two of them are naturally ruled out due to their mechanism of action.

Can you tell me more about Adenosine? I have not heard people discussing it here

Regan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Let's say everything but finasteride, Duta, and minoxidil, as alternatives here. Two of them are naturally ruled out due to their mechanism of action.

Can you tell me more about Adenosine? I have not heard people discussing it here

Adenosine makes hair thicker and probably reduces hair loss. It does that by somehow altering growth factors, and is in no way anti-androgenic. I basically think of it as kinda a bit like minoxidil, though probably less powerful. There's good literature supporting its effectiveness. Perhaps adenosine and minoxidil could be stacked? There's a Japanese hair growth product called Adenogen which is adenosine-based.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is it possible to make a list of the alternative treatments that are non-antiandrogenic?

- Ceterezine
- Biotin
- Vit D supplementation
- Scalp massage

Minoxidil plus tretinoin

Lurker otto

My Regimen
Reaction score
Adenosine makes hair thicker and probably reduces hair loss. It does that by somehow altering growth factors, and is in no way anti-androgenic. I basically think of it as kinda a bit like minoxidil, though probably less powerful. There's good literature supporting its effectiveness. Perhaps adenosine and minoxidil could be stacked? There's a Japanese hair growth product called Adenogen which is adenosine-based.
Do you use it? Because if it can give a little boost, im interested in mixing it with my minoxidil.

Regan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you use it? Because if it can give a little boost, im interested in mixing it with my minoxidil.

I don't, but there's definitely good evidence that it works.

Can it be stacked with minoxidil? That depends on the mechanism of the drugs. For example, if the mechanism is to some extent similar, stacking might not work, etc.

The problem is, we definitely don't know how minoxidil works other than that opening potassium channels somehow facilitates hair growth. (I absolutely don't believe the Blüdflöw theory of why minoxidil works.)
With adenosine, I'm not sure how much of the mechanism is understood.

It's probably worth trying if you don't mind the cost and the hassle.

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
OK, what else other than adenosine/cap/minoxidil/biotin/VitD... ?

Regan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Stemoxydine probably works as a modest hair growth stimulant and can be stacked with other stuff.

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Are the following antiandrogens:

Tea tree: Y/N?

Peppermint: Y/N

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I did not find evidence that Castor oil is an anti androgen, and overall it has good reviews here.

Anyone knows of its anti DHT properties?

RStGeorge

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
OK, what else other than adenosine/cap/minoxidil/biotin/VitD... ?
Biotin has never been shown to help with hair loss, unless you suffer from a serious biotin depletion condition. It is a complete waste of money. Check for studies in pubmed. No evidence of any efficacy at all

Red cat

My Regimen
Reaction score
I suppose Vit D and Biotin, at least this’s what I use. To get to know more about any medicine I use Canada Drugs site. There is a lot of information about a lot of meds.

Last edited:

RStGeorge

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Biotin is useless. No clinical study has found any effectiveness. Vit D, despite low serum levels correlating with Androgenetic Alopecia, so far have showed zero efficacy when supplementing for Androgenetic Alopecia

abcdefg

Reaction score

- Ceterezine
- Biotin
- Vit D supplementation
- Scalp massage

Id argue acceptance is a very good one. Because without a legit treatment - minoxidil/finasteride your going to end up there anyway. lol