No Effective Treatment In 20 Years?

tadaaa84

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I know it's a bit off topic, but I wanna hear your opinion on the lack of treatments available. It's been 20 years (!) since Rogaine came out and there is not a single treatment (except Propecia, which many men don't wanna take) that is as effective or better. I mean...NOTHING?! Scientists are about to cure AIDS and Alzheimer and cancer...and since 20 years there is nothing on the market than crappy Rogaine?
What do you think is the cause? Is the pharma industry holding back on purpose as a "cure" is not as lucrative than selling Rogaine bottles to someone for the rest of their lives and make hair dependent on it?
What about releasing a treatment that is better than Rogaine with less side effects but needs to be taken for the rest of the life as well? Many of us would be happy with that! I can't take Rogaine unfortunately because of severe side effects... Propecia is not an option. So basically...I'm f......
Do any of you seriously think there will be another treatment which is as effective or better than Rogaine in the next years? I'm giving up hope and try to except my faith now...as the media has been announcing the "cure" since many many years and still NOTHING is on the market.
Just my thoughts there...

tadaaa84

My Regimen
Reaction score
PS: I really want to believe in Dr. Brotzu and his Lotion but there has been no official announcement yet at all so basically this lotion only exists in this hairloss forum (and others)... :(

diffuse_thinner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it fair to say that Propecia and Rogaine were accidental discoveries for treating hair loss?

tadaaa84

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah as far as I know - both were discovered by "accident". Hair growth was observed on patients who were on those medications. In other words: No medication for hair loss has been developed yet on purpose that works - even more unbelievable :/

luiza

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah as far as I know - both were discovered by "accident". Hair growth was observed on patients who were on those medications. In other words: No medication for hair loss has been developed yet on purpose that works - even more unbelievable :/

That means no one gives a damn about us. Nothing new.

resu

Reaction score
How it was not? i'm quite sure man being treated for prostated issues discovered that it also regrew their hair.

They knew:

History
In 1974, Julianne Imperato-McGinley of Cornell Medical College in New York attended a conference on birth defects. She reported on a group of intersex children in the Caribbean who appeared sexually ambiguous at birth, and were initially raised as girls, but then grew external male genitalia and other masculine characteristic after onset of puberty. Her research group found these children shared a genetic mutation, causing deficiency of the 5α-reductase enzyme and male hormone dihydrotestosterone (DHT), which was found to have been the etiology behind abnormalities in male sexual development. Upon maturation, these individuals were observed to have smaller prostates which were underdeveloped, and were also observed to lack incidence of male pattern baldness

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Merck were well aware a 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor would probably work for male pattern baldness. They developed Finasteride to combat an array of androgen dependent diseases

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride's hair effect was officially not what they were testing when they 'discovered' it. But the researchers suspected the effect going in. It was less of an accident and more like a secondary priority.

The discovery of minoxidil's hair benefits was a pure accident.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
In the past twenty years we have:

Nizoral
Better hair transplants
Black market RU 58851
Stemoxydine (not sure if that does anything)

tadaaa84

My Regimen
Reaction score
Fair enough, but unfortunately, not anything that comes close to a "cure"...or at least some really effective product with no or minimal side effects. I was hoping for Shiseido but the results of the trails so far didn't really convince me. Histogen will be released in Mexico...so on the other side of the world for me... great. :(

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
but it is not FDA-proved. Nobody knows what it does to the body. Maybe in the long term all RU-takers will develop a heart disease?

Nobody knows what finasteride does to the body long term either.

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
There have been a number of things: It's just that most balding guys refuse to use them.

Now I'm not saying they're desirable, great options; but they are options that if utilized correctly, you could live your life and look in the mirror without hating yourself and that's certainly better than being bald and miserable.

As David said, Nizoral, better transplants, concealers, RU, and I would definitely ad superior hairpieces to that list. If you're high Norwood and get a good hairpiece possibly combined with a transplant at the sides...no one would even know you're bald unless you told them and you can even swim with the damn things now.

A lot of people here are hung up on the word "cure"; they expect something totally new and groundbreaking that is completely unlike anything before, but that is not the case.

Anything that is being developed that is promising is really just the next generation of something have now. For example, Tsuji's hair multiplication or L'Oreal's bio printing are really just the next logical step for hair transplantation.

ImpedingReceding

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
why the negative likes....?

The initial study suggested it was as effective after 6 months as finasteride was after twelve, which sure is great but i even took dutasteride for a year after several years on finasteride without spectacular results so to say CB will save us is a bit over the top