Nizoral

G

Re: nizoral only?

Concerned said:
BruceLee said:
Concerned said:
Hi.

I'm at about the 15 month mark on propecia and have been using nizoral every few days as well, as suggested. I've noticed now an increase in shedding and itchyness on my scalp. Any suggestions on something to help with this increased itchyness? Would adding something like head and shoulders on the non-nizoral days be ok? Should i perhaps see my doctor for something more potent?

Thanks.

I would make sure I am using 1% nizoral and try it every three days not every two.

Folligen spray helps tame itch also.

Are you using minoxidil??

I'll have to check on the type of nizoral i'm using. No, i'm not using Minoxidil, just propecia and nizoral. Up until recently things have been great but lately I've noticed increased shedding and itchyness. After reading up on it today, I was really considering buying some Folligen. What do you think?

I have had a lot of success using folligen spray to minimize shedding.

Crippler

Reaction score
I usually only shampoo every 3 days and just started with nizoral every 3 days. What kind of conditioner can i use with it.

Crippler

Reaction score
I usually only shampoo every 3 days and just started with nizoral every 3 days. What kind of conditioner can i use with it.

Yardbird

Established Member
Reaction score
I've heard the conditioner made by Nizoral is quite good though I haven't tried it. Now I'm using Dove Moisturizing Conditioner. I feel like it's really helping to get some of those lipids back into my hair.

Do you guys believe the results of the study using 2% Nizoral where they claim that the results are just as good as 2% minoxidil. The study only involves 4 people in each group, 8 total, so I guess it's possible that the results are incidental. However, I guess the results could be accurate, too. I hope the results are true because it's a whole lot easier to wash your hair 3 times a week with Nizoral than to apply minoxidil 14 times in a week.

Any thoughts?

G

Yardbird said:
I've heard the conditioner made by Nizoral is quite good though I haven't tried it. Now I'm using Dove Moisturizing Conditioner. I feel like it's really helping to get some of those lipids back into my hair.

Do you guys believe the results of the study using 2% Nizoral where they claim that the results are just as good as 2% minoxidil. The study only involves 4 people in each group, 8 total, so I guess it's possible that the results are incidental. However, I guess the results could be accurate, too. I hope the results are true because it's a whole lot easier to wash your hair 3 times a week with Nizoral than to apply minoxidil 14 times in a week.

Any thoughts?

Well, you would still do better using all three. Nizoral is not really a substitute for minoxidil. Different action in the male pattern baldness cycle.

DonLapre

Reaction score
Bruce plz help....

Here is my sititution. I have been losing my hair since I was about 20 years old. I am now 22, and my hairloss isn't too bad, but I still have to preform a comb-over to hide part of my vertex (the crown). I was a very regular user of pot for about 6 years, but I recently quit cold turkey about 2 weeks ago. I eat a very healthy diet, very high in protein and veggies. I do about 30 mins of cardio everyday, and lift weights everyday.

I would like to know what you think I should do about my hairloss? It is thinning all over my scalp, but mostly on the top of my head. I was thinking about going to the store tonight and buying some Nizorol and some head and shoulders shampoo. Please outline a good plan for me to follow. It would be greatly appreciated. :)

I'm going to order Rogaine tonight and also Propecia...

Sometimes my scalpt feels really tingigly and weird, but not always. It does have a significant amount of flakyness though, throughout the day.

BTW I'm not really sure that smoking weed has anything to do with hairloss, but it is NOT a good habbit anyways. I'm about 50 percent confident that it at LEAST makes the individual hairs smaller though...

Thanks

Shinyscalp23

Established Member
Reaction score
guys...ive been using nizoral on and off for like 2 years now...anyways when im religiously deep into my hairloss treatment i use it three times a week--usually mon wed and fr...they say leave it on for 5 minutes...and sometimes I do...but I honestly think 2 or 3 will suffice..esp if youre using it 3 times a week or even every third day or whatever....keep in mind ketokonazole is meant to control dandruff..and not even be used as often as most of us use it....so if youre using the medication more often than indicated (obviously for its antiandrogenetic properties) then it would make all the more sense that the frequencey of its use ofsets any possible duration on the scalp for any given time you use it. In other words, using it on your scalp every third day or 3 times a week for 2 minutes each time is probably as good as using it once a week for 5 minutes, if not better. I have found that I sometimes have to lay off the nizoral because it dries the hell out of my scalp and irritates it and use it only once or twice a week sometimes. It was meant to control dandruff and be used sparingly, but because it also has its antiandrogen properties we use it more often than the directions indicate, so the time its on your scalp, in my opinion, does not have to be as much taken into consideration as if it were only being treated for dandruff. Anyways guys feel free to disagree with me, lets agree to disagree if thats the case, just felt like adding my 2 cents.

Shinyscalp23

Established Member
Reaction score
when i used the 2 % nizoral for about 2 months there were no warnings of hair loss on the bottle..using it 3 times a week tho did irritate the hell out of my scalp--in retrospect, id say stick with the 1%-much less irritating and drying and just as effective--my hair hasnt looked as good as it does in 2 years(which still aint great lol) --this may sound reallystupid and unhealthy, but even if your scalp is irritated and inflamed from using nizoral or minoxidil-i say continue to us it as your scalp will adjust over time to a certain extent--and infammation-while not a good thing in and of itself-helps increase minoxidil absorbtion-which increases your likelihood of success-tho dont overdo it

Nizzer

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey

Hi All,

Ok... just got through reading the last 20 something pages. Im 22, in college, have had hairloss for nearly 2-1/2 years now. Its getting close to being noticable.. and .. well.. I'm starting to freaked out.

That said, my regime includes 2-1/2 months of propecia, and I just began Nizoral(again) in response to this site. I tried rogaine but it caused much irritation, and puss blisters.

(1)Something I noticed in the last few days is that Nizoral dries my scalp and causes a few random small zits. Should i discontinue? Tough it out? or what?

(2)Also, I heard of Retin-A varieties of minoxidil. Would this solve the problems that i have with the traditional rogaine.

(3)On off Nizoral days, is paul mitchell green tea shampoo ok? What would you guys recomend for a moistering conditioner(PS. i hate nioxin)?

(4)Lastly, I hear everyone talking about nano shampoo. Do you guys recommend it as a proven treatment. If so, could you please refer me to an appropriate url link. The ones I was looking at were a bit dodgy.

Thats it, any advice you guys could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a Bunch,

freudling

Reaction score
Get on the big three (you can use spironolactone instead of propecia).

Inch

Reaction score
info on Nizoral

I've started using the Nizoral 2%. What I don't understand is the labelling on the box....contains sodium laureth sulphate which I have read is BAD for anyone, especially with hair loss. Any comments on this anyone, please?

havaleena

Reaction score
Re: Hey

(1) Something I noticed in the last few days is that Nizoral dries my scalp and causes a few random small zits.

I also noticed the pimples. I thought this was kind of strange as I believed Nizoral was supposed to remove topical DHT from the scalp, and I've read that DHT is one cause of pimples.

In another post, I read that 1 and 2% percent Nizoral are equally effective for hairloss. Can anyone confirm or deny, or provide extra info on this? I'd like to step down to 1% if possible as the 2 strips my hair dry. Also if Nizoral works topically, why are some people recommending a 5-minute leave on (soak in?) time?

For what it's worth, I'm actually using Sebizole, which has the same active ingredient as Nizoral and is available OTC in New Zealand for half the price.

havaleena

Reaction score
Well, I don't seem to be getting much response to my last post, so let me try a new question: Has anyone experienced shedding with Nizoral -- as in the sudden hair loss you get with minoxidil, etc?

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Hey

havaleena said:
In another post, I read that 1 and 2% percent Nizoral are equally effective for hairloss. Can anyone confirm or deny, or provide extra info on this? I'd like to step down to 1% if possible as the 2 strips my hair dry. Also if Nizoral works topically, why are some people recommending a 5-minute leave on (soak in?) time?

There is one paper, sponsored bythe company, suggesting this. If you do a google search, you will probably find it.

You need to let the shampoo sit to let it absorb.

Packers

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a bottle of Nizoral 1% that expired in 4/2006. Is it ok for me to keep using it a little longer or should I go out and buy a new bottle?

westcovinajoe

Established Member
Reaction score
holly said:
I say, throw caution to wind, and go for it! :p

That was funny! Sometimes it does seem like there is an inordiante amount of caution here. Maybe we should call this forum walking-on-eggshells.com

As to the question, I have been told by more than a few people who would know, that hair care products of this type are generally good for about 2 years from the date of manufacture.

After that, they are generally just less effective, not usually dangerous.

But for some here you never know. Maybe they think old Nizoral will cause permanent penile shrinkage and lower sperm count.

Joe.

Packers

Established Member
Reaction score
No not that lol. I just figured the main ingredient in nizoral would be less effective after the expiration date...

bodysnatcher

Established Member
Reaction score
havaleena said:
Well, I don't seem to be getting much response to my last post, so let me try a new question: Has anyone experienced shedding with Nizoral -- as in the sudden hair loss you get with minoxidil, etc?

Bump this question