Nizoral

yul brynner

Reaction score
yes

Yeddie said:
Hi,

I can't leave 1% Nizoral in 5 minutes because it burns my scalp and then I have to stop most and/or all treatment for several days. I can wash with it I just can't leave it in. I told Dr. Lee about this and he told me to stop using Nizoral as it does very little, which is what he also told me about Retin-A varieties of minoxidil.

Please note that I also had other products burn my scalp when I first started treatment and now I have no problems so maybe my scalp just needs a gradual buildup to theraputic levels in order adjust to treatment for some reason.

Anybody get their scalp burned by Nizoral or have any thoughts on the matter?

Thanks! :)

It used to burn the hell out of my scalp, which is why i stopped using it. That said, my scalp tends to itch most of the time anyway, which is another whole issue.

Just in case anyone is curious, I have, in fact visited the home of Regrowth, LLP, just east of LA. Interesting stuff.

cantosis

Reaction score
Hiya im in uk this is my first post. Just wondering about this Nizoralle thats sold in boots.....isnt it an anti dandruff shampoo....how can it help?

:freaked2:

cantosis

Reaction score
Re: Nizorelle.

moptop said:
This may be only of interest to UK users.

I have found this information on Nizorelle shampoo which says that it is the same as 1% Nizoral. It currently available from Boots at £4.99 per 100ml bottle and comes in three varieties for dry, normal or greasy hair.

I have stopped using the stuff but for anyone who doesn't want the hassle of mail order this would seem to be OK. You won't be able to get 2% over the counter in the UK though.

I have never seen this confirmed on this site previously but if someone has already mentioned this please accept my apologies. It probably wanted to be mentioned again anyway due to the site overhaul!

http://home.intekom.com/pharm/janssen/nizorele.html

hi im in uk as well....isnt this just an anti dandruff shampoo....how could it help?

Marc E

Reaction score
Hi Brucelee can you help me. I started using Nizoral for some dandruff and to prevent seb dermatitis on my scalp as I have it on my face. I decided on the followiong regimen. An alternation of Nizoral, Zixon (like head and shoulders) panteine pro v claryfying shampoo and possibly regualr poantent pro v shampoo or baby oil. Each of those I will use every four days or so, so an alternation between the four. Possibly use the Nizoral once every five days and use the Zixon twice in those five days. I shampoo twice a day so I will shampoo with each twice a day. I will leave the Nziroal in for apprx thritty seconds twice on the day I use it, same with the Zixon. I will leave the other shampoos in for less time. Possibly ten seconds. I am not experiencing hairloss but Ive heard that Nizoral causes both shedding and growth. Im very worried bc I dont want to play around with a hairloss shampoo if I dont have hairloss. Is using the Nizoral a bad idea for someone without hairloss and what about going off of the Nizoral once youve started. OK thanks. Marc.

G

Marc E said:
Hi Brucelee can you help me. I started using Nizoral for some dandruff and to prevent seb dermatitis on my scalp as I have it on my face. I decided on the followiong regimen. An alternation of Nizoral, Zixon (like head and shoulders) panteine pro v claryfying shampoo and possibly regualr poantent pro v shampoo or baby oil. Each of those I will use every four days or so, so an alternation between the four. Possibly use the Nizoral once every five days and use the Zixon twice in those five days. I shampoo twice a day so I will shampoo with each twice a day. I will leave the Nziroal in for apprx thritty seconds twice on the day I use it, same with the Zixon. I will leave the other shampoos in for less time. Possibly ten seconds. I am not experiencing hairloss but Ive heard that Nizoral causes both shedding and growth. Im very worried bc I dont want to play around with a hairloss shampoo if I dont have hairloss. Is using the Nizoral a bad idea for someone without hairloss and what about going off of the Nizoral once youve started. OK thanks. Marc.

Questions.

Do you actually have any seb derm on your scalp at present?

If so, have you treated it at all? If so, what have been your results to date?

What are you using on your face?

Are you having any hairloss at all?

Thanks

Marc E

Reaction score
I dont have Seb Derm on my scalp but I do have dandruff. I use just a regualr lotion on my face and try to wash it twice a day. It seems to work ok. I dont really notice any hiarloss on myself but Im still very worried about losing my hair or the possibilty of it. The Nizoral scares me bc it sort of messes with hairloss and hairgrowth ect and maybe Ill go off of it one day and that will cause hairloss or it could cause some shedding now. Im just worried. I use 1% and I leave it in for 30-45 seconds. I plan to use it every five days (twice on that day). OK thanks Ill wait to hear back from you.

G

Marc E said:
I dont have Seb Derm on my scalp but I do have dandruff. I use just a regualr lotion on my face and try to wash it twice a day. It seems to work ok. I dont really notice any hiarloss on myself but Im still very worried about losing my hair or the possibilty of it. The Nizoral scares me bc it sort of messes with hairloss and hairgrowth ect and maybe Ill go off of it one day and that will cause hairloss or it could cause some shedding now. Im just worried. I use 1% and I leave it in for 30-45 seconds. I plan to use it every five days (twice on that day). OK thanks Ill wait to hear back from you.

If the Nizoral as you are using it is dealing with your dandruff adequately, I would see no reason at all to change strategies. Use it say every three days and there is no danger that I can see that you are messing with anything other than keeping your dandruff at bay.

I would not use anything else on those days. On other days, just use a high quality shampoo (I think Nioxin is costly but a very good one) and rest easy.

Don't worry, be happy!

:lol:

Marc E

Reaction score
Hi thanks for the reply. I have a few more questions if you could answert them. Im planning on using Nizoral once every five days, twice in the day I use it bc I take two showers a day. The reason is bc I also use a dandruff shampoo called "Zincon". Its sort of like head and shoulders bc its active ingredient is Pyrithione Zinc 1%. But its a little higher quality. Ive been warned against using shampoos with the Lauryl Sulfates in them. For head and shoulders, Amonium Lauryl Sulfate is listed as the first inactive ingredient, but for Zincon, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is listed as the last inactive ingredient, so less concentrated. My plan is to rotate between Pantene Pro -V Clayfing shampoo, regualr Pantene Pro-V shampoo, Nizoral, and Zincon. Day 1 I will use Zincon twice, Day 2 Pantene Pro -V Claryfiing Shampoo twice, Day 3 Nizoral twice, Day 4 Pantene Pro V regaulr shampoo twice and Day 5 I will use Zincon once and Pantene Pro V claryfing shampoo once, and then start again. I leave the Nizoral and the Zincon in for 30-45 seconds when I use them.

What do you think about that regimen?

Do you think its safe to leave in the Zincon for 30-45 seconds?

Do you think its ok if I leave the Nizoral in for 30-45 seconds (twice in that day) instead of three-five minutes? I dont want to overdo it.

Have you heard of do you have any thoughts about Zincon? It claims to treat Dandruff and Seb Derm.

Also, do you think Im effecting hairloss on myself in any way by using the Nizoral, either negative or postitive? Could there be a negative to using the Nizoral, but underusing it? What I mean is that if I use the Nizoral but dont use it "enough" (onc every five days instead of three and leaving it in only for 45 seconds instead of 3-5 minutes), could that potentially have a negative effect in terms of hairloss. Sort of like if someone used a little rogaine and it caused some shedding but didnt use it enough to actually regrow hair. Do you have any thouhts on the possibilty of that in terms of Nizoral?

OK thanks so much.

fro

Established Member
Reaction score
nizoral question

do you know if nizoral 2% can potentially cause shedding early on after its initiation in one's treatment regimin.
Also, I did not have scalp problems prior to using nizoral, but felt that it might be good to add to my regimin of minoxidil 5% and propecia. Now my scalp is rritated and flaky. Is there something i can use with nizoral 2% so that my scalp does not get irritated?
thanks

G

Re: nizoral question

fro said:
do you know if nizoral 2% can potentially cause shedding early on after its initiation in one's treatment regimin.
Also, I did not have scalp problems prior to using nizoral, but felt that it might be good to add to my regimin of minoxidil 5% and propecia. Now my scalp is rritated and flaky. Is there something i can use with nizoral 2% so that my scalp does not get irritated?
thanks

I would use 1% nizoral. My scalp became irritated immed. when I used 2%.

fro

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bruce
And from I've read in these posts and in the study. nizoral can also allow rethickening of the hair follicle due to its anti-androgen activity.
The study comparing nizoral to minoxidil 2%, however, was done on the nizoral 2% formulation. There was a study comparing nizoral 1% and Head and Shoulder with Pyrithione Zinc 1% which found the nizoral 1% formulation to be even slightly more effective in thickening up the hair shaft compared to the nizoral 2%, and also found the Head and Shoulders to be counterproductive in treating hairloss. The latter study was done by the pharmaceutical company that produce the nizoral 1% formulation!
Also, because it can be a potential treatment for hair loss and exhibit hair growth stimulation, might it also cause some shedding like minoxidil and propecia early on?
Thanks

Lizzad

Experienced Member
Reaction score
thanks

Shedding? No

Irritated scalp? T-gel or T-sal are commonly used...

fro

Established Member
Reaction score
head and shoulders

I've used head and shoulders for the past two days, and for the first time in about two weeks, my irritation has almost completely subsided. Could head and shoulders be a potentially positive addition to one's regimine. I've used it in the past as well and have always found it to be the most effective agent in controlling scalp irritation. The only reason I've stopped using it is because of the study which produced negative findings in terms of head and shoulders(pyrithione zinc 1%) compared to nizoral 1% for those with male pattern baldness. This study, however, was done by the pharmaceutical company which produces nizoral 1%!
I also remember an article in Men's Health which quoted a study that found those who used propecia in combination with Head and Shoulders grew 6x as much hair as those who used propecia alone.
Any comments? 8O

Lizzad

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I also remember an article in Men's Health which quoted a study that found those who used propecia in combination with Head and Shoulders grew 6x as much hair as those who used propecia alone.
Any comments?

Yeah, i have a comment...wheres the study? If this was true the whole world would know & everyone here would be doing this.

Are you a Head & Shoulders salesman? :laugh:

fro

Established Member
Reaction score
My apologies, I will try to find that particular Men's Health issue and see where they referenced this info. There are apparently contradictory findings of whether or not Head and Shoulders with pyrthione zinc 1% can
be helpful for those with male pattern baldness.
As far as the irritation, though, its the only thing that has helped me. I tried Nizoral 2% which made my scalp dry and flaky, the 1% made my scalp respond similarly. Ideally, I'd like to find something that I can use topically post-nizoral use that will allow me to tolerate the nizoral 2%, as it seems to be the most tried and true treatment as far as scalp conditions that are conducive to hair loss.
I just ordered Folligen and will see how my trial with that goes.

Lizzad

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan to me, trial & error. There are a lot of shampoos out there, 80+% of which are virtually all the same basic formula. I just got some Tea Tree Oil Shampoo as it is supposed to be a decent anti-inflammarory. Cheap too, just like H&S.

Folligen is worth a try if you can spand a little more...or T-Gel or T-Sal.

:freaked2:

fro

Established Member
Reaction score
nizoral 2% and shedding

Lizzad,
do you feel that you shed a little bit upon starting the nizoral 2%? I believe that I did and I don't know if the is typical or not. It could have just been due to the irritation it produced.

Lizzad

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Nope, the only noticable shed i had was at the 2 week stage of starting minoxidil. It lasted for around 3 weeks i think. I doubt that nizoral is on the head long enough or active long enough to cause a shed, it is a mild anti-androgen, i don't think it would have the "power" to cause a shed. But this is just my thoughts.

Tea Tree Oil is also supposed to have an anti-bacterial and anti-fungicidal properties by the way...

fro

Established Member
Reaction score
nizoral and hair thickening

Can nizoral potentially help improving hair density in all areas including temps and hairline?