Nizoral - beginners questions.

Funkymonk1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
1) Is it best to follow the instructions on the bottle exactly? It says to use every 3-4 days and then after about 2-4 weeks use only once a week (or even only once every 2 weeks).

2) I've also read that it's not recommended for "long term" use and you shouldn't use it longer then 8 weeks. So are you meant to take a break from it every couple of months? If how long should you stop using it?

3) Should I do a quick pre wash? If so should I use a different shampoo or use the nizoral for the pre wash?

4) I know using a conditioner is advisable but is it ok to use the conditioner straight after using the nizoral or is it better to use it on the days you don't use nizoral?

Yeah, I know this is a bit a*** and these questions have probably been asked before but I just want to get all my questions in one thread! If you're going to do something like this do it right.

Digidako

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1) Most people use it as part of "the big three", and I would assume they use it everyday.When I used 2% nizoral everyday it dried out my scalp, so I would recommend a shampoo that containes Keto, like Regenepure DR.
(2) I've been using ketoconazole shampoo everyday for 3 years, no problems. Like I said, use a less harsh shampoo (that contains keto) like regenepure or Revita.
(3) Always do a pre wash. I usually wet my hair, use some baby shampoo and let it sit for 2 mins, wash it out and then apply whatever keto shampoo I'm using for about 5 mins.
(4) All depends on what your preferences are. There is no problem using conditioner after shampoo. For me however, I love the volume I get from using Regenepure or Revita and I find conditioning flattens my hair.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What's this deal with 'pre wash'? Never heard of that... what's the deal there? Because of the harshness of Keto/nizoral? Not better after if you're going to do that?

Funkymonk1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've read that nizoral shampoo is absorbed into your scalp better is you do a quick pre wash first to get rid of the days muck and grime.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ah right OK, Wonder if that'd be the same effect, if you just used two applications of the nizoral? Probably the same mate.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Regenepure is always written about as 1%, but don't know how they know it? What's the score with Revita, is there much difference? I've just started using Regenepure. It's not great for styling hair afterwards, is what I've found, but early days.

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Regenepure is always written about as 1%, but don't know how they know it? What's the score with Revita, is there much difference? I've just started using Regenepure. It's not great for styling hair afterwards, is what I've found, but early days.

I contacted the company that makes Revita (divine skin) and the rep let me know Revita contains only .25% keto. This leads me to believe these "off brand" shampoos only add token amounts of keto into the shampoo just to claim it's an active ingredient. Personally, I'd stick to 2% nizoral/keto as it has the most studies behind it. If 2% is too harsh then use the otc 1% which is less harsh and still has a few studies showing its effective for male pattern baldness.

Iopu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The instructions on the bottle are for dandruff. Nizoral isn't marketed for hairloss. Personally I use revita 2 days on, nizoral 2% on the third day. Leave on for 10 minutes.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I contacted the company that makes Revita (divine skin) and the rep let me know Revita contains only .25% keto. This leads me to believe these "off brand" shampoos only add token amounts of keto into the shampoo just to claim it's an active ingredient. Personally, I'd stick to 2% nizoral/keto as it has the most studies behind it. If 2% is too harsh then use the otc 1% which is less harsh and still has a few studies showing its effective for male pattern baldness.

Be interested to hear what Regenepure claim is in theirs now. Assumed it was 1%
OTC 1%? You mean the old Nizorelle? They don't make it anymore. Which other one is there?

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Be interested to hear what Regenepure claim is in theirs now. Assumed it was 1%
OTC 1%? You mean the old Nizorelle? They don't make it anymore. Which other one is there?

in the states 2% is only by prescription and 1% is otc

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm using Ketoconazole shampoo and I'm skeptical that it has any impact. Since it's not that expensive or difficult i don't mind.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
in the states 2% is only by prescription and 1% is otc

Ahh, gottya, OK, it's different here in the UK, The Nizoral is OTC and 2%, I was a big fan of Nizorelle which was the 1%, but they discontinued it and I lost LOADS of hair when I stopped using it, It was by far better for me than the Nizoral. And this Regenepure makes my hair look like straw

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ahh, gottya, OK, it's different here in the UK, The Nizoral is OTC and 2%, I was a big fan of Nizorelle which was the 1%, but they discontinued it and I lost LOADS of hair when I stopped using it, It was by far better for me than the Nizoral. And this Regenepure makes my hair look like straw

Was the nizorelle blue colored shampoo and pearlescent, not see through? If so, the otc version in the states is similar. You could try ordering from here?

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Was the nizorelle blue colored shampoo and pearlescent, not see through? If so, the otc version in the states is similar. You could try ordering from here?

Yes! That was it, blue, like a cream, not clear, it also had a really pleasant smell, the best of the bunch, and even the hairdresser commented on hair condition was getting better. Sadly this is a few years ago now, and the damage has been done, and I've lost a ton of hair since. Johnson and Johnsons gave me some rubbish on email at the time about it not being worth doing anymore. So gutted about that. What is it called in the US, same as Nizoral?

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes! That was it, blue, like a cream, not clear, it also had a really pleasant smell, the best of the bunch, and even the hairdresser commented on hair condition was getting better. Sadly this is a few years ago now, and the damage has been done, and I've lost a ton of hair since. Johnson and Johnsons gave me some rubbish on email at the time about it not being worth doing anymore. So gutted about that. What is it called in the US, same as Nizoral?

Yes it's just called nizoral and comes in a blue bottle.

http://www.amazon.com/Nizoral-AntiDandruff-Shampoo-7-Ounce-Bottles/dp/B00AINMFAC

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Revita v Regenepure? I've not used Revita, but not a big fan of Regenepure at the moment. What do people prefer?

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks, Been using Regenepure few weeks, and my hair is getting thinner, Is this normal, for anyone who uses this, when you first started using it?

I use regenepure and I never lost hair on it...

Funkymonk1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Been using Regenepure few weeks, and my hair is getting thinner, Is this normal, for anyone who uses this, when you first started using it?

It may have been in my head but I thought my hair definitely got thinner when I first started to use nizoral.