NFL Playoffs

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
The NFL Playoffs are just around the corner. Any predictions? Sleepers? Unfortunately, I think my beloved Patriots don’t have much of a chance of going too deep. Their defense is below average, and the offense is certainly nothing special anymore either. My predictions:

AFC Championship game will feature the Bengals playing against either San Diego or Indy. One way or the other, I see the Bengals riding an emotional season and becoming America’s favorite team and going very deep.

In the NFC, I think the Vikings and Saints are the 2 favorites, but the Cowboys and Giants can play with them, depending on which Giants and Cowboys team shows up. My prediction (and it’s not a very bold one) is that the Saints come out of the NFC and go to the Super Bowl.

Super Bowl prediction: Saints vs. Chargers
Champion: Saints

Thoughts? Comments?

Cassin, Gardener,

You must’ve loved what you saw out of the Cowboys on Saturday night, huh? I have Austin on my fantasy team, so I was loving every minute of it.

Bald Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
The Chargers look like a team that could go all the way!

Has New England got a Wild Card spot?

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
Any team that gets in can take the SB. I love it!

The team with the best playing QB and defense takes it.

Very true. A case can be made for any team.

Dave,

The Patriots likely will host a first round playoff wild card game. I think they'll play either Baltimore or Denver. I hope it's Denver, because I personally think they suck.

The Gardener

Reaction score
:cue the smack talking Stephen A Smith voice:

Well, record-wise, the playoff picture is a complete toss up especially in the AFC. What a mess.

Given that, I will make my playoff predictions on the basis of trajectory and momentum. In the NFC, I like Philadelphia and New Orleans. Philly has a swagger to them this year, and the Saints have one of the most entertaining offenses to watch in the league. I also like the Cowboys, firstly because I'm a totally shameless homer and a die hard Cowboy fan, and second because I think they will show up this year, and I actually like how Tony Romo's game has developed this season. Hate to say it, but if the Cowboys don't go anywhere this season, in the offseason I think it very well might be time to entertain the notion of an upgrade at QB. Brett Favre and Minnesota is the sentimental favorite, but I think NO and Philly have more balance and depth... and I see Brett back on the bayou playing touch football in his Wranglers earlier rather than later. I don't like the Giants because they are frustrating to watch, so I'm rooting against them this year. The Yankees' baseball victory did enough to spur on the New York sporting arrogance, they don't need a second dose, thank you. And besides, we all know how many TV ads that Peyton Manning is in.. do we want Eli Manning to DOUBLE the amount of Manning face time we are subjected to on television?

In the AFC, San Diego looks really strong, but I absolutely HATE their recently recruited army of bandwagon fans out here in SoCal. The bolts have a few good seasons and suddenly lightning bolts start appearing everywhere... on the backs of trucks, bumperstickers, etc. I have an instinctual hatred for the Chargers because the TV networks sometimes treat San Diego as if they are a "local team" in LA, and will often times show a Chargers game against some sorry opponent rather than a marquee matchup. If my memory serves me well, last season they showed some sorry matchup like the Chargers versus the lowly Browns, and in doing so pre-empted an epic Dallas/Philly game that had playoff ramifications. So, I'm going to be the contrarian here and think the Chargers will make an early departure in the playoffs. Call it one part bad Gardner karma, and one part perennial chokage which seems to be the norm for Norv and company. Hopefully, next year, the bandwagoners will scrape off the lightning bolt decals and re-apply the USC college decals they used to have. I hope the Trojans aren't in permanent decline!

Denver sucks. That leaves Indy and Cincy as the marquee teams, and the Pats and Baltimore lurking dangerously in the second tier. Indy has the mojo to make the run. Although in decline, I think Baltimore has some mojo left as well. Cincy is inconsistent, and what the heck happened to the Pats defense?? Looking down the list at the rest... hmmm... Miami sucks, the Jets have a young quarterback with a fantastic arm, but unfortunately is still working on how to discern which receivers are wearing which color uniforms... Tennessee, man, I would HATE to have to play them now, but I don't think will be a factor... and Sixburgh has become suxburgh, unfortunately.. no Polomalu equals no defense. So...

My superbowl prediction:
Philly versus Indy... and I'll take Philly for the win. How's that for making a stand? Did I just type "Philly"? Wow, I guess there's a first time for everything.

Bald Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
I think it will be San Diego that will win it. I am not saying the other teams suck but i have a feeling it will be SD. But saying that SD's defence is a bit of a shambles so maybe on form they won't win but if I had to bet I would put my money on SD!

Bald Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
The Gardener said:
:cue the smack talking Stephen A Smith voice:

Well, record-wise, the playoff picture is a complete toss up especially in the AFC. What a mess.

Given that, I will make my playoff predictions on the basis of trajectory and momentum. In the NFC, I like Philadelphia and New Orleans. Philly has a swagger to them this year, and the Saints have one of the most entertaining offenses to watch in the league. I also like the Cowboys, firstly because I'm a totally shameless homer and a die hard Cowboy fan, and second because I think they will show up this year, and I actually like how Tony Romo's game has developed this season. Hate to say it, but if the Cowboys don't go anywhere this season, in the offseason I think it very well might be time to entertain the notion of an upgrade at QB. Brett Favre and Minnesota is the sentimental favorite, but I think NO and Philly have more balance and depth... and I see Brett back on the bayou playing touch football in his Wranglers earlier rather than later. I don't like the Giants because they are frustrating to watch, so I'm rooting against them this year. The Yankees' baseball victory did enough to spur on the New York sporting arrogance, they don't need a second dose, thank you. And besides, we all know how many TV ads that Peyton Manning is in.. do we want Eli Manning to DOUBLE the amount of Manning face time we are subjected to on television?

In the AFC, San Diego looks really strong, but I absolutely HATE their recently recruited army of bandwagon fans out here in SoCal. The bolts have a few good seasons and suddenly lightning bolts start appearing everywhere... on the backs of trucks, bumperstickers, etc. I have an instinctual hatred for the Chargers because the TV networks sometimes treat San Diego as if they are a "local team" in LA, and will often times show a Chargers game against some sorry opponent rather than a marquee matchup. If my memory serves me well, last season they showed some sorry matchup like the Chargers versus the lowly Browns, and in doing so pre-empted an epic Dallas/Philly game that had playoff ramifications. So, I'm going to be the contrarian here and think the Chargers will make an early departure in the playoffs. Call it one part bad Gardner karma, and one part perennial chokage which seems to be the norm for Norv and company. Hopefully, next year, the bandwagoners will scrape off the lightning bolt decals and re-apply the USC college decals they used to have. I hope the Trojans aren't in permanent decline!

Denver sucks. That leaves Indy and Cincy as the marquee teams, and the Pats and Baltimore lurking dangerously in the second tier. Indy has the mojo to make the run. Although in decline, I think Baltimore has some mojo left as well. Cincy is inconsistent, and what the heck happened to the Pats defense?? Looking down the list at the rest... hmmm... Miami sucks, the Jets have a young quarterback with a fantastic arm, but unfortunately is still working on how to discern which receivers are wearing which color uniforms... Tennessee, man, I would HATE to have to play them now, but I don't think will be a factor... and Sixburgh has become suxburgh, unfortunately.. no Polomalu equals no defense. So...

My superbowl prediction:
Philly versus Indy... and I'll take Philly for the win. How's that for making a stand? Did I just type "Philly"? Wow, I guess there's a first time for everything.

I have to agree that in the last few seasons of watching NFL games over here in England they are always showing games featuring SD more than other teams. Last sunday they showed SD vs Bengals and on xmas day they are showing SD vs Titans. I have prob seen about 6 or 7 games this season featuring the bolts. Saying that as a Cowboys fan they are showing alot of Cowboys games as well so it isn't all bad :)

oni

Reaction score
Hot_sexy_girl_playing_american_football_001.jpg

Bald Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Natural for me especially when they hang down like puppy dog ears :)

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin, Gardener,

You have to love the Cowboys chances right now. They are playing great D, they just demoralized Philly (who they play in round 1), and are clicking on all cylinders. When I look at that roster, I have to say they're the most talented team around...Barber/Felix combo...Romo...the playmaking ability of Austin, Crayton and Witten (sorry, but Williams absolutely blows)...and then the vicious pass rush. I don't want to jinx it for you guys, but I think this is the year Romo becomes the man.

As for the Pats - what are the odds that 2 years ago, Bernard Pollard tackles Brady and ends his season and destroys his knee...and yesterday, when Welker goes down to basically crush any hope the Pats had, who was there to make the tackle - Bernard Pollard. Anyway, I never count out Brady and Belichick, but it's not looking too good around here. I change my SB prediction:

Dallas 34 San Diego 24

Cassin

Reaction score
Cassin said:
Any team that gets in can take the SB. I love it!

The team with the best playing QB and defense takes it.

Right now this is the Cowboys and they are 100% healthy.

Their biggest flaw is their kicking game. If its a close game and the kick is 30 + yards I am real nervous.

I don't know if the Pats are cooked yet but at some point every dynasty comes crashing down and its always painful. I wonder how much longer Belichick will be around NE. My God...can you imagine the contract and control someone will give him? 7 million a year for 5 and 100% control. I know he is signed through 2013 but who knows what escape clauses they have.

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, very true, the kicking game is pretty lousy…and that is a HUGE part of playoff football.

As for Belichick, I agree that someone would give him complete control. I just read that Buffalo fired the entire staff…I’m sure they’d love to bring in Bill. I would think he stays here for the duration of the contract, though…I’ve heard that he loves living here.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Great Cowboys game! I think this is a make or break year for Romo, and so far he's making it big time. I like how he's developed this year, and it looks like he's getting the post season monkey off his back. The running game looks strong, Miles Austin is developing into a stud receiver... I'm loving it all.

I don't want to jinx it!.... Philly will probably school us next week....

Wes Welker... damn. That hurts. But, you can never count out Tom Brady.

The Gardener

Reaction score
On that topic of the coaching carousel, I just saw an entertaining little blurb on ESPN about Mike Leach being a potential good fit at Oakland? I kind of like the idea... and it suits Leach's pirate fetish to boot.

Another topic... Tim Tebow. How will his skills translate into the NFL? Will he be able to pull a Vince Young and convert himself into a more prototypical NFL QB, or, will he become the most expensive backup quarterback in NFL history?

Who do you give your train wreck of the year award to? I nominante the Denver Broncos.

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
Wow...what a thumping the Patriots took. That one was over from the start. I didn't truly think they could handle either Indy or San Diego anyway...oh well.

The NFC is now filled with some very high octane offenses, so it is a very wide open field. As for the AFC, I think it will ultimately be San Diego vs Indy, as I just don't think Baltimore and the Jets can hang.