Newly Discovered Factor in Androgenetic Alopecia. The Cure is Near?

Saint-Loup

Reaction score
Re: A recently discovered new factor in AA, the cure is near :)

Boldy said:
Thats exactly how I think about it :)!

Transplanted hairs, have lived for years in a good growth environment, so it takes some years intill they going to shrink, and by aging, testosterone production gets lower, aswell the PGD2 inflammation.
Where have you seen that please?
It's the first time I read this theory. :book:
What we know is androgen receptors and 5alpha reductase are more important in balding hair follicles than in safe follicles.
And in hair transplant we transplant safe hair folicles ...

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

odalbak said:
This thread has been going on since march. Plenty of studies have been mentioned and discussions have been going in all directions. What do we have now? We know that PGE2 is beneficial, that PGD2 and PGF2 are detrimental. 3 questions have to be considered in order to find one or a combination of products that address the prostaglandin issue.

1. what product(s) increases PGE2 — but not PGD2 and/or PGF2?

2. what product(s) inhibits PGD2 and/or PGF2?

3. What product(s) does both?

Do we have answers to these questions?

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Boldy said:
2020 said:
ugh... PGF2 IS GOOD FOR YOU. Hairy people have it and it works for them in a positive way. Why would it work in a negative way for us???

because hairy people does not have exess PGD2 levels.

right, so the main problem is still excess PGD2 and not PGF2...

Experienced Member
Reaction score

odalbak said:
I reckon it's because it takes years for healthy follicles to be observably affected by PGD2's presence up there, all the more since transplants are done on mature men with lower testosterone production.

21535.GIF

don't you all remember that experiment where they took hair from scalp and implanted it on the arm? How come male pattern baldness follicles shrunk despite its "PGD2 environment" and donor follicles stayed the same size? What does that tell you?

T

TravisB

What's the status with OC000459?

odalbak

Established Member
Reaction score

2020 said:
don't you all remember that experiment where they took hair from scalp and implanted it on the arm? How come male pattern baldness follicles shrunk despite its "PGD2 environment" and donor follicles stayed the same size? What does that tell you?

I've never found the studies you're referring totally conclusive. One can think that once follicles get into a mechanism of shrinking after years spent on scalp, the much lower dht levels found on arm skin (that make us grow arm hair) are enough to still inhibit hair thickening at least over the several months of the study. Also I'm still waiting to see hairs transplanted on the vertex or temples still thrive after 20-30 years, and they're generally transplanted at an age when testosteroe is much lower so what would that prove? Anyway, all this was debated by you against some other bloke before and I didn't find your arguments convincing enough.

franciscosalta

Reaction score

2020 said:
odalbak said:
I reckon it's because it takes years for healthy follicles to be observably affected by PGD2's presence up there, all the more since transplants are done on mature men with lower testosterone production.

21535.GIF

1st , sorry for my poor english :)

perhaps male pattern baldness follicles are different in some way, and vulnerable to DHT, and when they are "atacked" by DHT , in response the skin produces PGD2 , and this prostaglandin makes the follicle to stop producing hair. So it doesn't matter where the follicle is, it will be damaged by DHT and it will produce PGD2... just a theory

Remember that.. "Inflammation is a protective attempt by the organism to remove the injurious stimuli and to initiate the healing process." (source = wikipedia)
So , perhaps the inflamation is a response to protect the follicle from DHT, or allergens or whatever, but it also stops the hair producing mechanism if the response is very high... Remember that in a recent study , scientists discovered that the follicles are still there, in bald men's head, but they don't produce hair... Perhaps that's why cetirizine can also cause hair loss, because it could inhibit PGD2 totally in healthy scalps, and removing healthy PGD2 levels "inflamation protective attempt".

Well.. IDK lol

Experienced Member
Reaction score

odalbak said:
I've never found the studies you're referring totally conclusive. One can think that once follicles get into a mechanism of shrinking after years spent on scalp, the much lower dht levels found on arm skin (that make us grow arm hair) are enough to still inhibit hair thickening at least over the several months of the study. Also I'm still waiting to see hairs transplanted on the vertex or temples still thrive after 20-30 years, and they're generally transplanted at an age when testosteroe is much lower so what would that prove? Anyway, all this was debated by you against some other bloke before and I didn't find your arguments convincing enough.

so basically you're saying that SOME PARTS OF SCALP create a bad environment for hair to grow and no matter what hair is there(male pattern baldness hair, donor hair), it will still shrink? Is that what you're saying??? That it's the environment and not the individual follicle?

Experienced Member
Reaction score

franciscosalta said:
perhaps male pattern baldness follicles are different in some way, and vulnerable to DHT, and when they are "atacked" by DHT , in response the skin produces PGD2 , and this prostaglandin makes the follicle to stop producing hair. So it doesn't matter where the follicle is, it will be damaged by DHT and it will produce PGD2... just a theory

^ could be

franciscosalta said:
Perhaps that's why cetirizine can also cause hair loss, because it could inhibit PGD2 totally in healthy scalps, and removing healthy PGD2 levels "inflamation protective attempt".

I'm thinking low levels of PGD2 in still hairy people are there to prevent hair from OVERGROWING. Could it be?

franciscosalta

Reaction score

2020 said:
franciscosalta said:

^ could be

franciscosalta said:
Perhaps that's why cetirizine can also cause hair loss, because it could inhibit PGD2 totally in healthy scalps, and removing healthy PGD2 levels "inflamation protective attempt".

I'm thinking low levels of PGD2 in still hairy people are there to prevent hair from OVERGROWING. Could it be?

It could be! Maybe PGD2 is needed to end the hair cycle (when the hair dies) :)

Boldy

Established Member
Reaction score

2020 said:
odalbak said:

so basically you're saying that SOME PARTS OF SCALP create a bad environment for hair to grow and no matter what hair is there(male pattern baldness hair, donor hair), it will still shrink? Is that what you're saying??? That it's the environment and not the individual follicle?

I think this theory is right. If i take a good look to my scalp, In the male pattern baldness area, there is more sebum production+ some kind of smell. while this particular smell + sebum, is not present in the not male pattern baldness area. So I think, that transplanted hairs, will shrink as well after 10 years, when people not using medication.

Saint-Loup

Reaction score

Boldy said:
I think this theory is right. If i take a good look to my scalp, In the male pattern baldness area, there is more sebum production+ some kind of smell. while this particular smell + sebum, is not present in the not male pattern baldness area. So I think, that transplanted hairs, will shrink as well after 10 years, when people not using medication.
But we often see on the old transplanted heads, transplanted hair alone in the middle of a bald area.
like that you know http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Sh ... 1&DrID=660
It's very ugly and people have to shave it regularly.

odalbak

Established Member
Reaction score

2020 said:

That, and I'm speaking of long term alteration of the follicles. And slower alteration of transplanted hair in middle aged men.

Saint-Loup said:
But we often see on the old transplanted heads, transplanted hair alone in the middle of a bald area.

Slower alteration of transplanted hair in middle aged men.

Loomis

Reaction score

When Follica came on the scene in 2008, David Steinberg left a comment on xconomy about their company, here's what he said.

I am with the company. While we have not tested this in humans yet we fully expect that hair will persist. There are multiple reasons for this. First of all, consider hair transplants - while they have other flaws, the hair does indeed persist despite the presence of circulating DHT. In a distinct, but similar way, the Follica treatment changes the microenvironment of the follicles. Further, a single hair cycle lasts several years, and at the very least the new hair should last one full cycle (because of the underlying physiology of the condition). Also, circulating levels of DHT actually drop over a man's life. We have seen numerous clinical reports of patients showing sustained hair cycling when exposed to conditions similar to the treatment Follica is pursuing (in a carefully directed and controlled way).

The reason I posted this is for when he mentioned the microenviroment changing with transplants. Maybe that's the reason why transplant hairs remain.

Experienced Member
Reaction score

so follica's hair will last only one cycle? I'm starting to think that's how Histogen works.... gives our follicles one last cycle which will last a couple years

LooseItAll

Established Member
Reaction score

LawOfThelema said:
Has anyone tried a solution of topical Quercetin extract?

I tried... It may be effective but it is really impossible to use it longterm because of the yellow stains everywhere that are very hard to wash off.

Jacob

Reaction score

Try a liposome/nanosome version...staining shouldn't be a problem.

Experienced Member
Reaction score

has anyone noticed how wikipedia's page on "androgenic alopecia" just got updated?

new entry:
A study by Korean scientists in 2012 showed that Grateloupia elliptica, a red seaweed native to Jeju Island, South Korea, has the potential to treat androgenic alopecia as well as alopecia areata.[28] [29]

reading the paper....

These results suggest that G. elliptica extract has the potential to treat alopecia via the proliferation of dermal papilla, 5?-reductase inhibition, increase of PGE2 production, decrease of LPS-stimulated pro-inflammatory cytokines and inhibitory activity against Pityrosporum ovale.

... and it's coming back to prostaglandins again :jackit: :jackit: :jackit:

T

TravisB

I have one question - is someone actually trying to mess with this PGD stuff? And what is the estimated date when we'll know if it works or not?