Newly Discovered Factor in Androgenetic Alopecia. The Cure is Near?

israelite

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: A recently discovered new factor in AA, the cure is near :)

Gangsterboy u using the cream vehicle used in the sudy?

Saint-Loup

Reaction score

Boldy said:
PGE2 sounds very promising for me.

The PGE2 and PGF2? were also described as possible modulators of hair growth. Indeed, topical use of viprostol, a PGE2 analogue, was reported to increase human hair growth and terminal hair counts after 50 weeks treatment (11) while administration of 16,16-dimethyl PGE2 protected mice from radiation-induced alopecia (12). Minoxidil, a potent trichogenic agent, was found to enhance prostaglandin endoperoxide synthase-1 (PGHS-1) activity, suggesting a link between prostaglandin synthesis and hair growth (13), as later confirmed by the role of PGHS-2 in the control of hair cycle (14). Latanoprost, a PGF2? analogue used to treat glaucoma, was reported to induce hypertrichosis in humans (15) and stump-tailed macaque (16). Moreover, as isopropyl unoprostone and PGF2?, it stimulated conversion from the telogen to the anagen phase in mice model (17). On the contrary, cyclooxygenases (COX)-2 overexpression induced a reduction in hair follicle density and delayed postnatal hair follicle morphogenesis in transgenic mice compared with wild-type animals while COX-2 inhibitors restored normal hair growth (18,19).
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 586.x/full

Saint-Loup

Reaction score

Transdermal viprostol in the treatment of male pattern baldness
Fifty-seven men were randomly assigned for treatment of androgenetic alopecia with viprostol, vehicle, or placebo twice daily for 24 weeks. Nonvellus hair growth was assessed subjectively by both patient and investigator and objectively through hair counts from macrophotographs of the target area. Nonvellus target area hair counts declined in all three treatment groups at the end of the 6-month study. Viprostol is not an effective hair growth promoter in androgenetic alopecia.
1990 Sep
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2212146

Saint-Loup

Reaction score

Boldy said:
2020 said:
there's not much you can research.... we need scientists to actually conduct experiments and then learn from that.

For example: what would happen if you applied large amounts of PGD2 on your donor hair? Will it shrink?

find a bunch of castrated people. Measure their PGD2 levels on their scalp.

.... on and on.... I don't see why they couldn't do so many obvious experiments over the weekend or something...

still, we could learn allot, there are thousands of studies on pubmed, that can bring us closer to solve the puzzle, for example, we now know PGF2 alpha increases testosterone more then 100%, these levels are elevated in the scalp. while PG2E, should do the opposite with testosterone(not sure yet have to read more), wich these levels are down regulated.

We need the perfect solution for full regrowth.
What I don't understand in "the puzzle" is why testosterone/DHT grows body hair and beard but shrinks scalp hair.
Some receptors seem to be inverted.

Sparky4444

Reaction score

Ok guys....I'm trying to follow this thread but I am getting info overload..

...When I feel like my scalp get's itchy -- and I don't mean itchy from wearing a ball cap -- it always struck me like this was an allergic reaction, much like when I get itchy skin from an allergy...

...talking about Centrzine makes sense to me -- this is what Reactine is and I've taken this on and off during allergy seasons....maybe it also explains why some days my hair seems to be strong at the root level, but other times it feels lifeless and ready to all fall out..

..as far as I understand, anti-histamines just minimize the symptoms of your body attacking itself for the greater-good, so-to-speak...but does the theory lend itself to actually make a physical impact to the skin cell structure on the scalp??

...I have no problem getting on board with my vertex if I could crunch up some centrizine into a vile of Tricomin for delivery..but in what concentration??

:dunno:

odalbak

Established Member
Reaction score

Are prostaglandins useful as a whole for hair growth?
Or is PGE2 (and possibly other prostaglandin forms) only beneficial because they counteract PGD2 and PGF2?

Anyone that can answer this question please do.

Saint-Loup

Reaction score

odalbak said:

Are prostaglandins useful as a whole for hair growth?
Or is PGE2 (and possibly other prostaglandin forms) only beneficial because they counteract PGD2 and PGF2?

Anyone that can answer this question please do.
It's precisely the topic of the study... :smack:
(and currently, it's just a theory)
you have to read it. :whistle:

But why do you want to counteract PGF2? :unsure:

In contrast to PGD2, the level of prostaglandin E2 (PGE2), which is synthesized by PTGES rather than PTGDS, was more abundant in haired scalp compared to balding scalp (Fig. 2E), with 3.1 ng/g balding scalp and 6.4 ng/g haired scalp as detected by UHPLC-MS (Fig. 2F).

Our studies show that prostaglandins are dysregulated in Androgenetic Alopecia, the most common type of hair loss in men. Specifically, PGD2 inhibits hair growth and thus represents a negative counterbalance to the positive effects on hair growth shown for PGE2 and PGF2?.

There is precedence for the opposing functions of individual prostaglandins that are downstream from the PTGS enzymes. For example, in the lung, PGE2 causes relaxation, whereas PGD2 causes contraction of bronchial muscle tone (16). Our results suggest that in mouse and human skin, a balance between PGE2 and PGD2 controls hair growth. This model predicts then that efforts to reverse alopecia should optimally focus on both enhancing PGE2 and inhibiting PGD2 signaling. This model also explains why agents such as aspirin, which inhibit upstream prostaglandin synthesis enzymes (PTGS1 and PTGS2), have minimal effects on hair growth because of likely equally decreased production of PGE2 and PGD2.

Our findings also suggest that supplemental PGE2 could be therapeutic. By correcting its deficiency and increasing its level in bald scalp, the inhibitory effects of PGD2 may be overcome. Analogs of PGF2?, which are already FDA-approved to promote eyelash growth, should also have similar effects on the scalp and are currently in clinical trials for this indication.
:eek:nfire: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3319975/

Boldy

Established Member
Reaction score

yess, we need PGE2.

and one thing they forgot in the study, pgf2alpha is indeed good for eyeleshes and so on, but they forget it inhibits progesterone and highers LH, which results in doubling testosterone! which highers PGD2!

we need cheap suppliers for PGE2: CAS number: 363-24-6

Go ahead guys, try your best to find cheap and good source to order from.

and let me know, I need this stuff also ASAP.

odalbak

Established Member
Reaction score

This thread has been going on since march. Plenty of studies have been mentioned and discussions have been going in all directions. What do we have now? We know that PGE2 is beneficial, that PGD2 and PGF2 are detrimental. 3 questions have to be considered in order to find one or a combination of products that address the prostaglandin issue.

1. what product(s) increases PGE2 — but not PGD2 and/or PGF2?

2. what product(s) inhibits PGD2 and/or PGF2?

3. What product(s) does both?

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Saint-Loup said:
Transdermal viprostol in the treatment of male pattern baldness
Fifty-seven men were randomly assigned for treatment of androgenetic alopecia with viprostol, vehicle, or placebo twice daily for 24 weeks. Nonvellus hair growth was assessed subjectively by both patient and investigator and objectively through hair counts from macrophotographs of the target area. Nonvellus target area hair counts declined in all three treatment groups at the end of the 6-month study. Viprostol is not an effective hair growth promoter in androgenetic alopecia.
1990 Sep
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2212146

how is that even possible??? Why didn't it work? :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Experienced Member
Reaction score

ugh... PGF2 IS GOOD FOR YOU. Hairy people have it and it works for them in a positive way. Why would it work in a negative way for us???

LawOfThelema

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Has anyone tried a solution of topical Quercetin extract?

Boldy

Established Member
Reaction score

2020 said:
ugh... PGF2 IS GOOD FOR YOU. Hairy people have it and it works for them in a positive way. Why would it work in a negative way for us???

because hairy people does not have exess PGD2 levels.

Boldy

Established Member
Reaction score

There is still one thing I can not understand.

Why is transplanted hair not affected BY PGD2./J2.

Lets say, you transplant hair to the temples, in the temples area, there is allot of PGD2, why are the new transplanted hairs surviving the excess PGD2 in the temple area.

odalbak

Established Member
Reaction score

Boldy said:
why are the new transplanted hairs surviving the excess PGD2 in the temple area.

I reckon it's because it takes years for healthy follicles to be observably affected by PGD2's presence up there, all the more since transplants are done on mature men with lower testosterone production.

2020 said:

Bimatoprost helps with eyelashes by increasing PGF2, but PGF2 also increases testosterone by 100%. No problem for eyelashes. Maybe not so good for scalp hair… This has already been mentioned by Boldy a few posts ago.

Boldy

Established Member
Reaction score

Thats exactly how I think about it :)!

Transplanted hairs, have lived for years in a good growth environment, so it takes some years intill they going to shrink, and by aging, testosterone production gets lower, aswell the PGD2 inflammation.

I found some studies, that show, PGE2 promotes KERATIN production!
We Androgenetic Alopecia people have 50% lower PGE2 Values.

I Really think we should get PGE2 ASAP. It could work out wonders. :) in combination with a good CRTH2 antagonist.

odalbak said:
Boldy said:
why are the new transplanted hairs surviving the excess PGD2 in the temple area.

I reckon it's because it takes years for healthy follicles to be observably affected by PGD2's presence up there, all the more since transplants are done on mature men with lower testosterone production.

2020 said:

Bimatoprost helps with eyelashes by increasing PGF2, but PGF2 also increases testosterone by 100%. No problem for eyelashes. Maybe not so good for scalp hair… This has already been mentioned by Boldy a few posts ago.

odalbak

Established Member
Reaction score

Thanks Boldy.

"supplemental PGE2 could be therapeutic. By correcting its deficiency and increasing its level in bald scalp, the inhibitory effects of PGD2 may be overcome. "