Newly Discovered Factor in Androgenetic Alopecia. The Cure is Near?

Loomis

Reaction score
Re: A recently discovered new factor in AA, the cure is near :)

czvezda said:
rwhairlosstalk said:
Hmmm.

I've read that aspirin reduces COX-2. I wonder will that translate in less hair shed. You know, aspirin may be an anti inflammatory.

This is the quote from PGD2 study:
This model predicts then that efforts to reverse alopecia should optimally focus on both enhancing PGE2 and inhibiting PGD2 signaling. This model also explains why agents such as aspirin, which inhibit upstream prostaglandin synthesis enzymes
(PTGS1 and PTGS2), have minimal effects on hair growth because of likely equally decreased production of PGE2 and PGD2.

Also in the study they say,

Additional evidence that prostaglandins control hair follicle cycling
and can be used therapeutically to treat Androgenetic Alopecia arises from findings on
the possible mechanism of the Androgenetic Alopecia drug minoxidil. Although minoxidil
alters potassium channel kinetics, it is also known to increase
production of PGE2. Given the decreased amount of PGE2 present
in bald scalp versus haired scalp, minoxidil may normalize
PGE2 levels.

Maybe the reason why some people respond well to stuff like minoxidil and others don't is simply down to the amount of PGD2 present in their scalps, that seems to make sense to me, although it's elevated for all male pattern baldness sufferers there's bound to be a scale on how much is present, probably the longer you suffer from male pattern baldness the more there is present.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score

Guys look up at healthy eicosanoids...

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Cody333 said:
czvezda said:
rwhairlosstalk said:
Hmmm.

I've read that aspirin reduces COX-2. I wonder will that translate in less hair shed. You know, aspirin may be an anti inflammatory.

This is the quote from PGD2 study:
This model predicts then that efforts to reverse alopecia should optimally focus on both enhancing PGE2 and inhibiting PGD2 signaling. This model also explains why agents such as aspirin, which inhibit upstream prostaglandin synthesis enzymes
(PTGS1 and PTGS2), have minimal effects on hair growth because of likely equally decreased production of PGE2 and PGD2.

Makes me think if I do daily aspirin (reduced cancer prospect research that just came out) it make reduce hair growth. Uh oh.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score

Interesting study: http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/conte ... 6.full.pdf

Administration of a specific COX-2
inhibitor restored hair growth, indicating that the alopecia was attributable
to elevated COX-2 enzymatic activity.

Loomis

Reaction score

tomcatt said:
There is a PGE2 gel !

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6625668

So we could use this gel and take a cox-2 inhibitor (to reduce all the prostagaldin)

It wouldn't be a very good idea to reduce all the prostaglandins, I think the best thing the experimenters can do is first test the PGD2 inhibitor on its own, getting the right dosage is going to be the trouble, if there's up to 12x the amount in balding areas then it might take quite a high dosage of the inhibitor to bring it down to normal range, they're not going to have a way of testing how much it's being lowered though, which will be a major problem, people using it might think it's not working but in reality it might have reduced it to 6x what you get in a normal scalp, but they won't know and could stop using it before it gets to the point of doing the job they're looking for.

If they can get the inhibitor dosage right, and it normalizes the amount of PGD2 present, then for all we know the PGE2 could start to normalize in the scalp as well, without the need to add any other medication, if it isn't the excess PGD2 lowering the PGE2 then the experimenters should look at a way to add minoxidil to their treatment, but I don't think they should be taking anything else while testing the PGD2 inhibitor, you never know how different meds will interact with each other, and it could end up having a negative effect on the inhibitor.

LooseItAll

Established Member
Reaction score

My celecoxib arrived. I mixed 4g with 1 l of ethanol and a tad of PPG. 4mg per 1 ml. I am using about 4-5 ml daily on the whole balding are along with minoxidil 2,5% and flutamide 1%.

Experienced massive shed after minoxidil. So let's se what a COX-2 inhibitor can do.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score

LooseItAll said:
My celecoxib arrived. I mixed 4g with 1 l of ethanol and a tad of PPG. 4mg per 1 ml. I am using about 4-5 ml daily on the whole balding are along with minoxidil 2,5% and flutamide 1%.

Experienced massive shed after minoxidil. So let's se what a COX-2 inhibitor can do.

Bad *** LosseitAtll.!!! Way to go.. Celecoxib is one of the best COX-2 inhibitor..molecular weight is 381.38 ..so I thing will be effective as a topical..Keep us updated... I will jump on the bandwagon soon.. I am on 2% Miconazole Nitrate + Diclofenac (Cox 2 inhibitor... but the otc version.. ) Probably update it to the prescription version soon... Miconazole also inhibit Cox..

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score

Cody333 said:
tomcatt said:
There is a PGE2 gel !

So we could use this gel and take a cox-2 inhibitor (to reduce all the prostagaldin)

It wouldn't be a very good idea to reduce all the prostaglandins, I think the best thing the experimenters can do is first test the PGD2 inhibitor on its own, getting the right dosage is going to be the trouble, if there's up to 12x the amount in balding areas then it might take quite a high dosage of the inhibitor to bring it down to normal range, they're not going to have a way of testing how much it's being lowered though, which will be a major problem, people using it might think it's not working but in reality it might have reduced it to 6x what you get in a normal scalp, but they won't know and could stop using it before it gets to the point of doing the job they're looking for.

If they can get the inhibitor dosage right, and it normalizes the amount of PGD2 present, then for all we know the PGE2 could start to normalize in the scalp as well, without the need to add any other medication, if it isn't the excess PGD2 lowering the PGE2 then the experimenters should look at a way to add minoxidil to their treatment, but I don't think they should be taking anything else while testing the PGD2 inhibitor, you never know how different meds will interact with each other, and it could end up having a negative effect on the inhibitor.

Where did you get that x12 at? The study is claiming : They found that levels of PGD2 were elevated in bald scalp tissue at levels 3 times greater than what was found in comparative haired scalp of men with androgenetic alopecia.

Loomis

Reaction score

squeegee said:
Cody333 said:
tomcatt said:
There is a PGE2 gel !

Where did you get that x12 at? The study is claiming : They found that levels of PGD2 were elevated in bald scalp tissue at levels 3 times greater than what was found in comparative haired scalp of men with androgenetic alopecia.

Apologies, I must have read it somewhere without checking. My point still stands though, getting the right dosage of any inhibitor is going to be difficut.

Bet24

Established Member
Reaction score

I have a question... if this works, do this treatment will be for life?, like minoxidil?

J

jonson

Had anyone try that and see results?

T

TravisB

LooseItAll said:

Keep us updated! It could be interesting.

Anarch

Established Member
Reaction score

Celecoxib is basically an Aspirin-like drug.

Aspirin was derived from White Willow Bark.

Just buy White Willow Bark extract and top off a bottle of Minoxidil. That's what I'm going to do … maybe the end of this month.

Loomis

Reaction score

Aspirin like substances aren't going to help, if you want to inhibit the right receptor you need to be using the right drug, I don't see the point in wasting money on stuff we know won't help.

Loomis

Reaction score

Anarch said:
Cody333 said:
stuff we know won't help.

How do you know? Did you try it? :dunno:

Well if it's like Aspirin, according to the PGD2 study,

And I just did a quick Google search to see if there was any information about Celecoxib decreasing production of PGE2, and there does appear to be quite a few articles saying that it does. I'm no expert in these things, so maybe someone with a better understanding can have a look, but it doesn't look like it would help us.

Anarch

Established Member
Reaction score

But you said "know" and you didn't back that up with anything.