Newly Discovered Factor in Androgenetic Alopecia. The Cure is Near?

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Re: A recently discovered new factor in AA, the cure is near :)

That theory is been around for years.. There are patents out there since forever ..just google it.. Guys! don't get too excited LOL.. Anyways.. Prostaglandins and DHT are also related to ED, benign prostatic hypertrophy and cancer. I think is just marketing hype to raise money..

Gizmo

Established Member
Reaction score

this thing is all over the news these days.
are there or are there not companies utilizing this discovery ?

K

Kirby

squeegee said:
That theory is been around for years.. There are patents out there since forever ..just google it.. Guys! don't get too excited LOL.. Anyways.. Prostaglandins and DHT are also related to ED, benign prostatic hypertrophy and cancer. I think is just marketing hype to raise money..
Oh bollocks, so no new "super-treatment" will ever result from this?

abcdefg

Reaction score

The more I read about this the more I doubt this means much of anything. How can they even write an article on something that has zero actual results no pictures or anything why bother bringing it up? I saw articles saying this is cure for male pattern baldness to be on sale in 5 years I mean these articles are flat out lies.
Also Merck has a drug right now that blocks this in trials and they said they saw nothing so I guess all these stories about this being a cure must have missed this fact.

Merck isn’t studying the anti-flushing drug in hair loss, said Ian McConnell, a Merck spokesman, in a telephone interview. “We haven’t seen any signalsâ€￾ in patient trials that the therapy might reduce baldness, he said.

Belmondo

Established Member
Reaction score

kc444 said:
Part of the research was an experiment with genetically altered rats/mice which appeared to demonstrate a casual relationship between the PGD2 pathway and hair loss.

Interesting, thanks for you reply.

I believe you but this seems too good to be true. I always thought that male pattern baldness was the result of a combination of factors and not just one isolated cause.

So if the protein is causing this, then what role does DHT really play? And why does finasteride work (for most cases, at least)?

Jacob

Reaction score

You do notice..the newer things that they're working on...don't seem to be focusing on "anti-dht".... :)

Weezert

Reaction score

Well the androgen receptor is a ligand activated transcription factor (basically has the ability to turn on genes when activated). I imagine, for whatever reason, in these cells, bald men have an increased number of response sites to the DHT-AR complex (T-AR complexes don't necessarily bind to the same places as DHT-AR complexes, although I don't have proof to back that claim up, it's important to be open minded though), and the increased activation of these sites causes more of PGD2-synthase to be transcripted-translated and hence local production of PGD2 is increased (by threefold according to George). It is what's known as a paracrine (locally acting) hormone, and so it only very slowly effects the tissues in close proximity to it's release.

The best thing about this study is that they showed increased PGD2 directly caused hairloss in the mice. This direct link is vital. The receptor was foundt o be GPR44, I have every faith that it will produce a treatment better than the current DHT inhibitors. I would honestly wait and see what the pharma companies produce. There are plenty of them out there other than the 'Big Pharma' often quoted in the media and on this site, and I'm sure once the link is concrete they'll jump on it. It has the chance to be a real moneyspinner for them.

This is the most significant breakthrough made in regards to hairloss research. Anyone who doesn't see that is either a) uninformed in this area or b) in denial,

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score

Prostaglandins E1 and E2 increased the sensitivity of glycolysis to insulin in the isolated stripped soleus muscle of the rat, but prostaglandin F2 alpha had no effect. Indomethacin, which inhibits prostaglandin formation, markedly decreased the sensitivity of glycolysis to insulin. These findings suggest that prostaglandins of the E series increase the sensitivity of muscle glycolysis to insulin in vivo.

Gizmo

Established Member
Reaction score

squeegee said:
Prostaglandins E1 and E2 increased the sensitivity of glycolysis to insulin in the isolated stripped soleus muscle of the rat, but prostaglandin F2 alpha had no effect. Indomethacin, which inhibits prostaglandin formation, markedly decreased the sensitivity of glycolysis to insulin. These findings suggest that prostaglandins of the E series increase the sensitivity of muscle glycolysis to insulin in vivo.

can I have that in english please?

odalbak

Established Member
Reaction score

Belmondo said:
Do we know for sure that it's the protein that's causing MPP?

The fact that increasing artificially PGD2 increases baldness suggests it could be. Now I imagine increasing DHT levels dramatically would probably increase baldness as well…

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score

Elevated insulin---increased delta desaturase enzymes---increased conversion of omega 6 fatty acids to arachidonic acid--increased prostaglandin 2's--increased production of cytokines--increased inflammatory
response throughout the entire body.

harold

Established Member
Reaction score

Hey all,

Havent posted in a long time as i generally havent focussed much on hairloss and related issues in a few years. Was very interested to do a pubmed search to see if anything new had happened research wise and to see that this result had finally been published and has caused a big ruckus. To give some perspective this was something some people were talking about here over 4 years ago thanks to the miracle of online patents:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=43715&p=412209&hilit=+pgd2#p412209

Its funny because around the same time Cotsarelis filed the patent on that whole wnt wounding thing that became the basis of Follica and that kind of swept this PGD2 thing aside. The PGD2 synthase elevation always seemed very dramatic and very well demonstrated in the info we had from the patent but as time went by and the results were never published it sort of became a secondary thing - it was only one set of unpublished findings from one group after all, who seemed set on pursuing a treatment based on other findings commercially. Still there were other hints that it might be really important such as hte effect of PGF2 analogs like latanorast on hair growth and the fact that mice which overexpressed COX-2 in skin developed hair miniaturization (an important point because hair miniaturization, not just hair loss, is a defining characteristic of male pattern baldness) and enlarged sebaceous glands.
http://www.pnas.org/content/98/13/7629.figures-only

Anyway some thoughts:
Basically:
Arachidonic Acid -- COX1/COX2--> Prostaglandin H2 --PG D Synthase --> PGD2 <binds to> PGD2 receptor
In this case the PGD synthase is apparently the PTGDS "lipocalin type" that is commonly found in the brain and not the PGDS type associated with mast cells. IN male pattern baldness it seems that something downstream of androgens upregulates this PTGDS and thats why we are getting so much PGD2 unlike in the mice where it was COX2 being upregulated and a whole host of prostaglandins being overexpressed. As mentioned the PGD2 receptor involved here is CTRH2.

So it seems we have 3 targets:
1) COX1/COX2 - lower all prostaglandin production
2) PTGDS - lower PGD2 production
3) CTRH2 - stop PGD2 from binding.

In terms of 2) and 3) I'm not sure that there is a lot we can do by ourselves. Indomethicain is a weak antagonist of CTRH2. Selenium Chloride (SeCl4) and sodium selenite (Na2SeO3) are inhibitors of PTGDS but from what i gather you wouldnt want to mess with selenium chloride at least. OTOH of course the commonly available NSAIDs like aspirin/ibuprofen/paracetemol are COX1/2 inhibitors. Still i havent come up with much research in terms of how to effectively apply them topically and how effective they might be.Theres also a bit about flavonoids like luteolin and quercetin interfering with PGD2 production but its not clear on the pathways involved (it may be more relevant to the PGDS pathway) but some of it at least appears to be COX related.

odalbak

Established Member
Reaction score

Thanks Harold for the links.

Could applying green tea extracts topically have any effect on hair loss?

mlb

Reaction score

Harold, what about Ramatroban.

Loomis

Reaction score

mlb said:
Harold, what about Ramatroban.

Or Setipiprant, from the company Actelion. It's in phase II/III at the moment I believe, and it blocks the right PGD2 receptor implicated in male pattern baldness.

abcdefg

Reaction score

Here is what I dont understand it says in the same article that Merck while testing a drug that does this sees no results for hair. So I mean if a drug they have in advanced testing doing this already shows no hair results what do we make of that?

-------------------------
Merck isn’t studying the anti-flushing drug in hair loss, said Ian McConnell, a Merck spokesman, in a telephone interview. “We haven’t seen any signalsâ€￾ in patient trials that the therapy might reduce baldness, he said.

odalbak

Established Member
Reaction score

Video interview of Cotzarelis.
http://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-03-i ... -loss.html

"Researchers found that as PGD2 inhibits hair growth, other prostaglandins work in opposition, enhancing and regulating the speed of hair growth."

That means our topical solution should target PGD2 only. What does that?

Loomis

Reaction score

abcdefg said:
Here is what I dont understand it says in the same article that Merck while testing a drug that does this sees no results for hair. So I mean if a drug they have in advanced testing doing this already shows no hair results what do we make of that?

-------------------------

Laropiprant (Merck's drug) selectively blocks the PD1 receptor - , that isn't the receptor that Cotsarelis was talking about. So Merck's drug won't be of any use to us. I posted a quote on page one of this thread from another forum explaining that.

Loomis

Reaction score

odalbak said:
Video interview of Cotzarelis.
http://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-03-i ... -loss.html

"Researchers found that as PGD2 inhibits hair growth, other prostaglandins work in opposition, enhancing and regulating the speed of hair growth."

That means our topical solution should target PGD2 only. What does that?

As I said a few posts up, a drug called Setipiprant does that, it's in phase II/III at the moment.