newbie spironolactone question

jx

Reaction score
good or no? how much success have you guys had with it? is it worth even adding to a regimen on minoxidil 5% and finasteride?

viperfish

Reaction score
If your on finasteride there is really no need for the spironolactone. If your not on finasteride get on spironolactone right away. Using both finasteride and spironolactone is not really necessary. However, spironolactone blocks other things than just DHT which may help your hair. I don't want to confuse you.......... if your on finasteride that's fine you don't need the spironolactone.

frenchy

Established Member
Reaction score
thought oral spironolactone induce feminization (?)

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score

but I wouldn't take more than you need. If finasteride and min is working for maintaining don't take it. I'm not going to comment on it's effectiveness

abcdefg

Reaction score
I say dont bother. From my experience its not near the effectiveness of finasteride. If it was everyone would be on topical spironolactone instead with no systemic sides and with success stories. It might work but I dont think the vehicle or chemical gets absorbed or used properly or its just not strong enough. Its one of those chemicals you wished would work better than it seems to in practice.

Nadester

Experienced Member
Reaction score
How about using spironolactone topically in HUGE quantities??
That miracle uses about 30% spironolactone power in his cream.

Volcomander

Reaction score
thought oral spironolactone induce feminization (?)

Interesting. I was referring to topical form.

I say dont bother. From my experience its not near the effectiveness of finasteride. If it was everyone would be on topical spironolactone instead with no systemic sides and with success stories. It might work but I dont think the vehicle or chemical gets absorbed or used properly or its just not strong enough. Its one of those chemicals you wished would work better than it seems to in practice.

So the verdict is its no good? I am looking for and alternative topical to minoxidil

psyhotria

Banned
Reaction score
Theoretically a good adjuvant. However, if finasteride and minoxidil alone are doing wonders for you, then it wouldn't be necessary, of course.

smyth01

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought its long been accepted topical spironolactone is useless. Its mechanism of action does not make sense for it to work in the scalp, only internally.

psyhotria

Banned
Reaction score
I thought its long been accepted topical spironolactone is useless.
Clinical evaluations of topical applications of spironolactone concluded that "as far as the topical use is concerned spironolactone seems to be highly effective with absence of systemic effects" Messina M, Manieri C, Musso MC, Pastorino R.: Oral and topical spironolactone therapies in skin androgenization. Panminerva Med, 1990 Apr-Jun,32:2,49-55

Nadester

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Spironolactone is POWERFUL even more than finasteride AND dutasteride
How?? It reduces your free testosterone, then inhibits 5ar enzyme AND the BEST part is it FREES estrogen that is bounded by SHBG. FYI estrogen is the reason why women have so great long hair. Increasing it at scalp only won't be possible without systemic side effects.
The reason why TOPICAL spironolactone is not that effiecient is bcoz you are making a LOCAL effect but the fact is you STILL are making DHT at those other follicles.For best its good for maintainence but not as god as finasteride coz WHO THE HELL WOULD SMEAR THE DAMN CREAM ON THEIR HEAD??
Now for the regrowth to occur, you HAVE to increase estorgen in scalp while inhibiting 5ar enzyme. This won't be possible without going systemic.

BTW can we mix crushed spironolactone tabs to liquid minoxidil and hope it works properly??

psyhotria

Banned
Reaction score
BTW can we mix crushed spironolactone tabs to liquid minoxidil and hope it works properly??
NO, and the reason is that spironolactone is (a) not very stable in solution. And (b) spironolactone+minoxidil solution results in an extremely malodorous solution. BTW I will be starting topical spironolactone in a custom made vehicle (no cream) very soon. However, not instead of finasterdie but rather adjuvant. And because I have used spironolactone systemically already, I will instantly know if it works or not.

ladysmanfelpz

Established Member
Reaction score
NO, and the reason is that spironolactone is (a) not very stable in solution. And (b) spironolactone+minoxidil solution results in an extremely malodorous solution. BTW I will be starting topical spironolactone in a custom made vehicle (no cream) very soon. However, not instead of finasterdie but rather adjuvant. And because I have used spironolactone systemically already, I will instantly know if it works or not.

How long were you on oral spironolactone? What solution are you making?

psyhotria

Banned
Reaction score
How long were you on oral spironolactone? What solution are you making?
It was only a brief test drive, for about 40 days (50mg/d); I was ordering avodart (dutasteride) at an online pharmacy and they were also selling spironolactone (quite cheep), so I took the opportunity and ordered some (20x100mg) out of curiosity. So, the most notable positive effect I can remember was a strengthening of hair (pull test) and also it felt fuller and with an improved 'bounce'. There were also mild sides, most notably slightly decreased libido and increased fatigue. Back to present - the vehicle for the spironolactone (2%) will be something like the K&B solution that Kane is selling for his RU. Pure (isolated) spironolactone and only small batch at a time. Three months of resource.