Newbie!! Considering Partial Hair System But Don't Know Where To Start (help)

Adam.daas

My Regimen
Reaction score
I know that my questions have been asked countless times but would appreciate some in-depth information so I can get myself going and learn the ropes. I have been losing hair since I was 17 and now I am 25 so you can get the picture. Tried minoxidil, didn't dare to give finasteride a shot (didn't want to f*** with my hormones), but it didn't seem to be working. Now I am looking into the possibility of getting myself a partial hair system to put an end to my misery and I would like to get some answers to my questions:

1- What is the success rate for me to go completely solo and order my hair system online, considering it is my first time? If high, I need websites of good suppliers.
2- How can I accurately determine the hair color of the hair system?
3- Should I order a custom or stock hair system? if custom or stock, what is the best way to deal with it?
4- How to get the measurements of my scalp? Are they needed at all?
5- Name a good salon in Toronto or Mississauga area to do the trimming and styling for the stock system.

I am not sure I addressed all my questions here as I am still very new to this and I believe there is a learning curve to it. Please be generous with your answers!!

Forgot to mention that I live in Mississauga, Canada and would also be interested to know if anyone here had a good experience with studios in Toronto. In the end, I would really want to do it myself instead of getting rip off constantly.

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Adam

1- What is the success rate for me to go completely solo and order my hair system online, considering it is my first time? If high, I need websites of good suppliers.

Based on the people I have talked to, the success rate for switching to a hairsystem (both on-line and DIY or through a salon) is about 80%. About one person in five doesn't take to it, and ends up shaving. I don't think it makes much difference whether you do it through a salon or you do it on a DIY basis. I will PM you with some suggestions for suppliers and salons.

By far the best way is to send a hair sample.

3- Should I order a custom or stock hair system? if custom or stock, what is the best way to deal with it?

The only real advantage of stock is speed - you can get a stock piece in a few days if they have your colour, whereas a custom piece takes 6-8 weeks. Stock is also very slightly cheaper, but the difference is minimal. If you are not in a hurry, it makes sense to get a custom piece, which is a perfect colour match and a perfect snug fit. Also there are various other customisation options, such as the base design, position of tape patches, a hard parting and/or crown swirl etc.

I would strongly recommend making a template, whether you choose a stock piece or a custom one. If you go custom you will send the template to the manufacturer. If you go for a stock piece, you will use the template to cut the stock piece down to the right size. It is very important that the piece fits your bald area snugly, with no gaps and no overlaps, if you want a good result.

Noah

matt0135

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I know that my questions have been asked countless times but would appreciate some in-depth information so I can get myself going and learn the ropes. I have been losing hair since I was 17 and now I am 25 so you can get the picture. Tried minoxidil, didn't dare to give finasteride a shot (didn't want to f*** with my hormones), but it didn't seem to be working. Now I am looking into the possibility of getting myself a partial hair system to put an end to my misery and I would like to get some answers to my questions:

5- Name a good salon in Toronto or Mississauga area to do the trimming and styling for the stock system.

I am not sure I addressed all my questions here as I am still very new to this and I believe there is a learning curve to it. Please be generous with your answers!!

Forgot to mention that I live in Mississauga, Canada and would also be interested to know if anyone here had a good experience with studios in Toronto. In the end, I would really want to do it myself instead of getting rip off constantly.

Hey dude! I would highly recommend 3rd dimension studios in north york, near yorkdale. Systems are more expensive than online but they take care of you and give you a proper, custom system that looks amazing. The owner himself has been wearing for 30 years and I have my first system from them and I love it.

I am definitely going to consider going the full DYI route once i've gotten everything under my belt. To be honest I would recommend going the salon route at least to do everything properly and you won't have to worry about the colour, fitting, etc.

I go once every 3-4 weeks for a re & re however I do my own hairline maintenance weekly.

There are, however, good resources here and other places to go full DIY.

Just please don't go to hairclub or something along these lines. I went with surehair as my first system and although it was not bad, it definitely was not what I was looking for. (it's really amazing what difference the right density and attachment makes)

Best of luck to you!

Adam.daas

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Adam

Based on the people I have talked to, the success rate for switching to a hairsystem (both on-line and DIY or through a salon) is about 80%. About one person in five doesn't take to it, and ends up shaving. I don't think it makes much difference whether you do it through a salon or you do it on a DIY basis. I will PM you with some suggestions for suppliers and salons.

By far the best way is to send a hair sample.

The only real advantage of stock is speed - you can get a stock piece in a few days if they have your colour, whereas a custom piece takes 6-8 weeks. Stock is also very slightly cheaper, but the difference is minimal. If you are not in a hurry, it makes sense to get a custom piece, which is a perfect colour match and a perfect snug fit. Also there are various other customisation options, such as the base design, position of tape patches, a hard parting and/or crown swirl etc.

I would strongly recommend making a template, whether you choose a stock piece or a custom one. If you go custom you will send the template to the manufacturer. If you go for a stock piece, you will use the template to cut the stock piece down to the right size. It is very important that the piece fits your bald area snugly, with no gaps and no overlaps, if you want a good result.

Noah

Thanks a lot Noah!! Could you please walk me through the process of making a template?

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Adam

If you go to YouTube and search "hair system template" you will find dozens of videos showing you how, which can explain the process better than I can. Here are a couple to get you started:

If you have any problems, feel free to come back for help. It is a bit fiddly if you are doing it single-handed, and it might take a few goes to get one you are satisfied with. It's easier if you have someone to help you, but generally guys don't want that, for obvious reasons. Just remember, it doesn't have to be accurate to the last millimetre - the lace is stretchy and quite forgiving. It just has to show the area and shape of your bald spot and give an indication of the curvature of your head.

Noah

Adam.daas

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Adam

If you go to YouTube and search "hair system template" you will find dozens of videos showing you how, which can explain the process better than I can. Here are a couple to get you started:

If you have any problems, feel free to come back for help. It is a bit fiddly if you are doing it single-handed, and it might take a few goes to get one you are satisfied with. It's easier if you have someone to help you, but generally guys don't want that, for obvious reasons. Just remember, it doesn't have to be accurate to the last millimetre - the lace is stretchy and quite forgiving. It just has to show the area and shape of your bald spot and give an indication of the curvature of your head.

Noah

Thanks a million!