New wearer - Trying to establish my routine, curious of others

Brad98

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey all - just starting wearing this past week. So far, so good, just trying to establish my routine. Have read quite a few posts on here, so getting some ideas, but thought I’d summarize.

About me. I’ve got a poly, thin skin (seems to be all you can get right now). Initial application was done with walker tape bond and tape. I work out daily and have sweated in the unit pretty heavily about 5 out of the past 7 days. Had a little lift at the hairline 3 days in, which I fixed with some extra bond and a toothpick to get it under in a small amount, but didn’t do a full hairline clean up (going in tomorrow for supervision with that and plan to do a full system detach / reattach). My main complaint (if you’d call it that) is that the system is a bit itchy (not surprised given my workout routine).

Routine this week. Waited 36 hours before getting the unit wet the first time. Stylist advised I should probably have gone 48 hours. Have conditioned the until every day after and allowed to air dry. Have shampooed once (order came from HairbyMHE and that’s the guidance provided). Have dampened the unit in the mornings to brush out any tangles and have used my leave in conditioner spray and moroccanoil hair cream for styling.

How often do others do full system detach/reattach? How often do you clean the hairline?

Couple of observations. Sleeping hasn’t been horrible, but I can definitely tell I’m concerned with damagin the unit and haven’t slept great. Showering is becoming more routine, but found it interesting that when you put your head under the water, you don’t actually feel the water. Is that different with lace? I’d like to go the lace route, but, as discussed, hard to go that direction right now.

Anyway, thanks for any tips/tricks/general discussion.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Brad, and welcome to the forum.

How often do others do full system detach/reattach?

This is deeply individual based on your lifestyle, type of bond, etc. I recommend to clients don't leave the system on for more than three weeks. I do it once a week.

How often do you clean the hairline?

Well, you do it as often as needed. If you see lifting... then it needs to be done. Maybe you want to try tape instead of liquid adhesive.

Steve

threadkilla

My Regimen
Reaction score
Been wearing for over 10 years...not sure what my system is...never asked...it has a mesh/material crown with a plastic edge...

I tape up and wash every week...take off..clean..only use conditioner...gently run wide comb to detangle...rinse...gently comb again..tape up and fit...spritz with water and style..use leave in cream conditioner as a hold and also protects and add shine...

longest i have gone is about 10 days before changing but after that more than ready...pieces generally last about a year..have 2 spare which are cut to different lengths so lookks like had cut...

Brad98

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Brad, and welcome to the forum.

How often do others do full system detach/reattach?

This is deeply individual based on your lifestyle, type of bond, etc. I recommend to clients don't leave the system on for more than three weeks. I do it once a week.

How often do you clean the hairline?

Well, you do it as often as needed. If you see lifting... then it needs to be done. Maybe you want to try tape instead of liquid adhesive.

Steve
Thanks, appreciate the response. Pretty much in line with what I’ve read everywhere. I’m trying to run the balance between being good to the system and being good to my scalp with the detach/re-attach. Given my activity level, I’m thinking every week is going to be the interval - just have to figure it all out. Am really curious to see how I do with it, quite nervous that it’s going to be a mess to re-attach.

How does tape at the hairline work? Given that’s it’s poly, are you able to get tape right to the edge?

Brad98

My Regimen
Reaction score
Been wearing for over 10 years...not sure what my system is...never asked...it has a mesh/material crown with a plastic edge...

I tape up and wash every week...take off..clean..only use conditioner...gently run wide comb to detangle...rinse...gently comb again..tape up and fit...spritz with water and style..use leave in cream conditioner as a hold and also protects and add shine...

longest i have gone is about 10 days before changing but after that more than ready...pieces generally last about a year..have 2 spare which are cut to different lengths so lookks like had cut...
Thanks for the response, sounds like you have a good routine. Pretty close to what I’m trying to do. Don’t want this thing to be more hassle than it’s worth. I’ve been shaving my head for close to 17 years so this was just a way to try a new style - got tired of looking at a cue ball in the mirror. Not that it looked bad and I’ve always embraced being bald (runs in the family), but it’s fun to see myself with a full head of hair again and looking a good 5 years younger.

Hoping I can get at least 6 months of life out of the piece since we’re dealing with this shortage anyway.