New Vpa+wounding Delivery Method From Ky Choi

kingjohn

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
big news here boys!! new study came out last tuesday 3/13 demonstrating a more effective and accurate method of vpa+wounding delivery

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0142961218301856

however, the biggest point is that this is from dr ky choi, whom you might remember discovered ptd-dbm, which got huge press here, reddit, and in mainstream media for being the most recent "cure" for Androgenetic Alopecia when coupled with vpa and wounding, which actually creates robust new follicles (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022202X17315555 and https://www.reddit.com/r/tressless/comments/7fax04/a_south_korean_lab_actually_discovered_the_cure/ and https://www.indy100.com/article/bal...e-wonder-drug-proteins-thinning-baldy-8071226 and https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...chemical-material-to-prevent-hair-loss.109920). evidently they are working on improving the wounding portion of the process.

something big is happening over in south korea boys!

edit: link to the full article: http://sci-hub.tw/https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0142961218301856

some highlights:
(dmn-vpa is the proposed new delivery method)

Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 1.09.03 PM.png

"To evaluate the efficacy of DMN-VPA in inducing hair regrowth, we shaved the dorsal skin area of 7-week-old male mice at telogen phase and applied 50 µl of 1 M VPA either as topical VPA or as DMN-VPA once a day for 28 days (n = 7/group). To confirm whether hair regrowth was induced solely by application of VPA in these treatment groups, we included two control groups of mice treated daily with either topical control or DMN control (n = 7/group). At day 28, all mice of the DMN-VPA-treated group and two out of seven mice treated with topical VPA, showed hair regrowth (Fig. 3a). The regrown hairs uniformly covered the entire shaved region in DMN-VPA-treated mice. In contrast, in the topical VPA group, hair regrowth was mainly concentrated in the center of the shaved region (indicated by a dashed line in Fig. 3a). In both the control groups, none of the mice showed hair regrowth. These findings show that DMNVPA delivers encapsulated VPA with a high accuracy over the whole region. The effect of VPA on hair density was evaluated by quantifying the number of hair shafts/cm2 over an untreated (unshaved) region in comparison to the treated (shaved) region for each mouse to account for natural variation in hair density (n = 2/group). In topical VPA-treated mice, the shaft density was 634.5 ± 9.1 shafts/cm2 in the untreated region and 642 ± 15.5 shafts/cm2 in the treated area, a mean difference of 7.5 ± 6.3 shafts/cm2 (Fig. 3b). In the DMN-VPA group, hair shaft density differed by 35 ± 19.8 shafts/cm2 , being 648.5 ± 13.44 shafts/cm2 to 683.5 ± 6.3 shafts/cm2 in unshaved and shaved regions, respectively (Fig. 3c). Next, we compared regrown hair shaft thickness of the same type in topical VPA- and DMN-VPA-treated mice (n = 20/group). In both groups, hair shaft thickness varied widely, from 7.26 µm to 51.64 µm (Supplementary Fig. 3). However, the mean hair shaft thickness under topical VPA (19.05 ± 11.41 µm) was significantly lower than that under DMN-VPA treatment (27.15 ± 12.01 µm) (Fig. 3d). Control groups were excluded from the comparison due to the lack of hair regrowth at 28 days post experiment. Scanning electron microscopy (SEM) revealed no damage to the surface of regrown hair shafts in both treatment groups (Fig. 3e). Additionally, we sectioned the treated dorsal skin regions to compare the hair regrowth characteristics in more detail (Fig. 3f). The mice treated with DMN-VPA had the highest number of HFs among the four groups, followed by topical VPA. Histomorphometrical analysis of HFs showed that DMN-VPA treatment also promoted telogen-to-anagen transition more effectively than topical VPA (Fig. 3g). As expected, most of the HFs in both control groups remained in telogen phase at day 28. To verify that the normal epidermis properties was not damaged by DMN-VPA application, the epidermal thickness was measured for each group. The epidermis was 13.81 ± 1 µm thick on average (n = 10/group), with no significant differences between and within groups (Fig. 3h). However, due to the difference in the number of HFs in each group, the dermal thickness significantly differed (n = 10/group). The dermal thickness in the topical control group was 417.3 ± 20 µm, and it significantly increased to 563 ± 135 µm upon treatment with topical VPA. Likewise, DMN-VPA treatment significantly increased the mean dermal thickness from 505 ± 27 µm to 661 ± 103 µm (Fig. 3i). Also, the dermal thickness under DMNVPA treatment was significantly higher than that upon topical VPA application. Altogether, these data imply that DMN-VPA effectively elevates HF regrowth by accelerating telogen-toanagen transition without damaging the hair shafts or epidermis layer."

Last edited:

kingjohn

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
also, a couple months back i emailed dr ky choi about the progress on ptd dbm, and got this in response:
Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 4.30.59 PM.png
while its not much, it does indicate that they have seen promising enough results in preliminary trials that they are proceeding with toxicity and druggability tests on the molecule

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Mouse study, but no biggie since we already know wounding is effective on humans.

At this point, studies that involve wounding are just another feather in the cap.

We know it works; we just need it on the market in a method that can reliably deliver results to each and every patient.

Godspeed, Follica.

God fuckin' speed

BaldAsshole

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This guys sound like they are the real thing. But much time would be required in order from them to commercialize their stuff, I think that other solutions may arrive before. In any case, this kind of cure is the best for me, I would prefer this to a cloned hair transplant.

kingjohn

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Mouse study, but no biggie since we already know wounding is effective on humans.

At this point, studies that involve wounding are just another feather in the cap.

We know it works; we just need it on the market in a method that can reliably deliver results to each and every patient.

Godspeed, Follica.

God fuckin' speed

yes its in mice and yes its wounding, which is already proven in humans, but the bigger picture is that ky choi et al are working on something big in conjunction with ptd dbm, which could be (if we are to believe the reddit "insider" and comments from dr choi) a functional cure. i can see ptd-dbm + dmn-vpa as a revolutionary new wounding process that any hair transplant Doctor/derm can do

kingjohn

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This guys sound like they are the real thing. But much time would be required in order from them to commercialize their stuff, I think that other solutions may arrive before. In any case, this kind of cure is the best for me, I would prefer this to a cloned hair transplant.

vpa is already approved so all theyd need to do is prove safety of ptd dbm which dr choi told me they are currently doing a couple months ago, and the reddit "insider" said tests had already been underway at the end of last year so who knows how far along they are now. i agree though, id definitely prefer a treatment like this

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
So we are talking about follicle neogenisis without cell injection? Sustaining follicles are dependent on the interaction and attraction of stem cells also and that would seem a problem as it they are unique to ones genetic predisposition. (?)

kingjohn

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So we are talking about follicle neogenisis without cell injection? Sustaining follicles are dependent on the interaction and attraction of stem cells also and that would seem a problem as it they are unique to ones genetic predisposition. (?)

yes we are talking about follicle neogenesis, i suggest you check out the studies and reddit discussion in the op that came out at the end of last year on ptd dbm, which essentially stops the mechanism of balding. the proposed mechanism to balding is dht --> cxxc5 --> other proteins --> follicle miniaturization and ptd dbm would inhibit the binding of cxxc5 and the other proteins, so that scalp hair follicles would essentially be immune to dht

edit: some interesting excerpts from the reddit discussion to put into context how hype this is:

"I’m a PhD in Molecular and Cellular Physiology. My specialty has to do with cytoskeletons (related to cancer). I got a draft of some research done by some South Koreans yesterday kinda randomly and the lab actually (no joke) discovered the mechanism to (probably) universally regenerate hair follicles. It should be in the news soon...my guess is early next week. It doesn’t seem like they’re lying about anything either...my understanding is that they are directly funded by the South Korean government. DHT suppression actually finally makes sense as a treatment with their discovery too...we already knew about the relationship between androgens and wound healing but it’s much clearer now. Exciting times."

"The researcher that runs the lab is one of the most respected researchers on planet Earth. That’s not hyperbole. Look him up. He says this is the end...he’ll be able to create the functional cure from this, essentially. The research that led to this was initially for CANCER and WOUND REGENERATION. These discoveries related to hair follicles were basically by accident."

"You’ve read about a “cure” in a peer-reviewed medical journal? I’ve never heard of an any well-respected researcher purporting to have discovered a cure...maybe from industry, but nobody trusts that...

These researchers are the first that are going to come out and say it. It’ll take a little while but some human trials have already started (insider information! Lol)"

"They have discovered that disrupting a specific protein interaction causes hair follicles to completely regenerate. They have a specific chemical that causes the disruption and it works well. These proteins are more than just “involved in hair loss”."

"There’s a bunch of unpublished stuff as well...like how it’s been tested in vivo...on humans"

https://www.reddit.com/user/myhipsareliars/comments/

Last edited:

kingjohn

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

17AndBalding

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
well know in august https://twitter.com/Derma2018/status/925577856989593600
i feel like its worth noting that hes a cancer researcher by trade, yet all the sudden due to the study from late last year, hes presenting at a world renowned dermatology conference. makes you wonder what he and his lab know at this point
This sounds crazy because I'm not well versed on the technical aspect of this all but I believe this is indeed it man. If a world renowned .. What is he a scientist?.. Says he f*****g cured hairloss he wouldnt lie if that would toy with his reputation. Hypeeee!!

Seuxin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
They have to test on human....I use VPA and now use Sodium Valproate since approx 2 years now...with wounding, licl, dutasteride, minoxidil.....and no changes at all with VPA....

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
"I’m a PhD in Molecular and Cellular Physiology. My specialty has to do with cytoskeletons (related to cancer). I got a draft of some research done by some South Koreans yesterday kinda randomly and the lab actually (no joke) discovered the mechanism to (probably) universally regenerate hair follicles. It should be in the news soon...my guess is early next week. It doesn’t seem like they’re lying about anything either...my understanding is that they are directly funded by the South Korean government. DHT suppression actually finally makes sense as a treatment with their discovery too...we already knew about the relationship between androgens and wound healing but it’s much clearer now. Exciting times."

Interesting all people know that DHT acts as a hairgrowth, ..., at least in body hair. I would like to hear how this PhD guy explains it.
It is call a Paradox. Till them we have no idea if this mechanism is the universally regenerate hair follicles.