New Topical finasteride Study - Efficacy + Sides

ImpedingReceding

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why isn´t this discussed more? Seems like the perfect alternative until something real comes out. If we could attack dht in the right location without nuking the hormone levels in the whole body. Plus i like all in one solutions!

Yepesyellow

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The problem is that no presently available topical formulation has an accessible study measuring efficacy and systemic effects; there are a number of viable topical formulations that claim to reduce systemic effects, however in so far as I am aware, none have actually supported those claims with evidence.

Btg

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The problem is that no presently available topical formulation has an accessible study measuring efficacy and systemic effects; there are a number of viable topical formulations that claim to reduce systemic effects, however in so far as I am aware, none have actually supported those claims with evidence.
except for p3074 , shame it is taking forever

Yepesyellow

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Mate, don’t talk to me about it - at present P3074 is the only thing keeping me going, and it’s still likely over a year away. They should be filing for it soon though, been 8 months since the study.

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Mate, don’t talk to me about it - at present P3074 is the only thing keeping me going, and it’s still likely over a year away. They should be filing for it soon though, been 8 months since the study.

Pretty sure even in the p3074 studies it still reduce systemic DHT a huge amount ?

Yepesyellow

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Pardon, do you mean it didn’t reduce it significantly? If I remember correctly systemic inhibition was reduced from approximately 70% to 30-35% which is quite significant I’d argue. Not completely satisfying but in comparison to present alternatives quite decent.

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Pardon, do you mean it didn’t reduce it significantly? If I remember correctly systemic inhibition was reduced from approximately 70% to 30-35% which is quite significant I’d argue. Not completely satisfying but in comparison to present alternatives quite decent.

Looking at the results it only appears that a 30-35% reduction in serum DHT was achieved when using 100 / 200 ul. When using 1ml the reduction was basically the same as that of the 1mg pill. Which is even more frustrating because we all know you'd need 3-5ml to really cover a scalp.

Screen Shot 2018-10-23 at 01.51.04.png

Yepesyellow

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well I’m not scientifically competent enough to explain that, perhaps someone else could? I just don’t understand what the point in putting time, money and resources into a topical formulationt is, if it is essentially as likely to produce side effects as the pill...

floschen

My Regimen
Reaction score
Looking at the results it only appears that a 30-35% reduction in serum DHT was achieved when using 100 / 200 ul. When using 1ml the reduction was basically the same as that of the 1mg pill. Which is even more frustrating because we all know you'd need 3-5ml to really cover a scalp.

View attachment 102570

this is from their first study which was only one week long... they finished the phase 3 trial in the beginning of this year but I can't find the study results... didn't they publish them? would be suspicious if not... the thing is, afaik we don't even really know yet if it's the scalp DHT or actually the serum DHT which is causing the hair loss... finasteride might only be effective by going systemic

Yepesyellow

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No, I am quite certain that the results of the phase III trial remain unpublished, although Almirall did note that the top line results were positive in terms of targeted area hair count (TAHC). I’d hope that the results will be published soon. Do you have any idea about the comment Ollie made?

Btg

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No, I am quite certain that the results of the phase III trial remain unpublished, although Almirall did note that the top line results were positive in terms of targeted area hair count (TAHC). I’d hope that the results will be published soon. Do you have any idea about the comment Ollie made?
well they were using 0.25 % finasteride or something , they might aswell make it 0.025 % and you can use 1-2 ml

Yepesyellow

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Would the efficacy be reduced by doing that? I just can’t understand why Polichem and then Almirall would bother for something that would fare no better than current options.

Btg

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Would the efficacy be reduced by doing that? I just can’t understand why Polichem and then Almirall would bother for something that would fare no better than current options.
the data is pretty clear , they tried a 0.25 % solution with a special vehicle in people and applied 100 200 300 400 etc μL
They found that only 100 and 200 μL could inhibit a good amount of scalp dht without causing a huge reduction to serum dht .
So they found out that with 250μg and 500 μg of finasteride they could possibly make a decent product . That of course does not mean that people will aply 100 and 200 μL of the actual product since it is impossible . They will probably reduce the finasteride concentration in their product so that you can apply 1 -2 or more mls

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ultimately its a shame the dosage curve for finasteride is so flat or the topical approach would be much better as finasteride wouldn't cause such a sensitive reaction when hitting the bloodstream. Although this doesn't equate to the findings of my original post on this thread so who knows..

Btg

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ultimately its a shame the dosage curve for finasteride is so flat or the topical approach would be much better as finasteride wouldn't cause such a sensitive reaction when hitting the bloodstream. Although this doesn't equate to the findings of my original post on this thread so who knows..
The problem is that there are many conflicting studies in topical finasteride , some like the op and mazzarella making it sound great , some stating that it is useless , some saying it is the same as oral . So i guess it is hard to really draw conclusions

alibaba92

My Regimen
Reaction score
Topical finasteride seriously doesn't make sense to me unless it goes systemic. My regimen is much better.

Why doesnt it make sense ? Oral finasteride inhibits 5ar everywhere including the scalp and hence, less scalp DHT. Topical finasteride inhibits 5ar in the scalp and hence, stop scalp DHT and not serum DHT, which is the root of all nasty side effects. So, doesnt topical finasteride sound much better ?

iSlapBitches

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why doesn't it make sense ? The point is the hope of it not going systemic.

How does topical finasteride stop hairloss dude? its not an AR disruptor. finasteride stop hairloss from not allowing T to convert to DHT. How does that work on your scalp? Explain. I genuinely dont know.