New To Using Finasteride For Hair Loss. What Should I Know About Generics?

mjp92

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am a new user here and I was just recently diagnosed with very minor male hair loss. It mostly is thinning behind the hairline in the front but nearly everywhere else is unaffected.

My dermatologist recommended going to Costco because the price of 1 mg finasteride tablets is low. I have now, a three month supply of generic finasteride which is from a company called Aurobindo.

I have read posts on here with some people claiming that generic finasteride does not work, but I do not see how this could be true when the active ingredient is the same. Today is my fourth day of taking it, so I cannot say whether or not it is working, however the first two days I felt MINOR discomfort in the testicles and a slight woozy feeling in the head. This has subsided.

Others have claimed there is no difference between generic and brand name and both work the same. What should I know?

I would assume if purchased at a legitimate pharmacy in the US like CVS, Costco, Walgreens, Target etc. then it would not matter, it is not like ordering bootleg medications from some "online pharmacy."

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
You should know generics are cheaper than propecia and they both contain finasteride.

Reactions: br1

mjp92

My Regimen
Reaction score
So the benefits should be exactly the same then? That would have been my inclination but I just wanted to be sure.

mjp92

My Regimen
Reaction score
I definitely do feel the impact of taking the pills because for about half an hour after taking one, I do feel slightly light-headed and woozy. Is this because it affects hormone levels? I didn't know that decreased DHT could be physically felt.

Unacknowledged

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I definitely do feel the impact of taking the pills because for about half an hour after taking one, I do feel slightly light-headed and woozy. Is this because it affects hormone levels? I didn't know that decreased DHT could be physically felt.

• Chills
  • cold sweats
  • confusion
  • dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up from a lying or sitting position

Artisan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
They are the same..in theory. I'm always one for a cheaper alternative but I couldn't get on with the generic I was given. Took Finasteride generic for a few weeks and I got the sides from it, came off it, I wasn't going to restart treatment then decided to give Propecia a go. Maybe the binders, fillers etc that go into the tablets but I didn't experience the same side effects with Propecia, had decent gains to. I think in my case psychology was also a factor.

mjp92

My Regimen
Reaction score
I definitely think people have more control over their bodies than they think. If you think a medication is going to cause side effects, you're probably more likely to experience them. In my case, I go into this with no expectations.

I think if you had stuck with the generics you would have likely seen similar gains, but I personally view side effects as a good thing because they demonstrate that A. the medication is authentic and not just a fraudulent empty pill, and B. there is some change going on inside my body.

With that said I have not experienced sexual side effects, but for about one hour after taking the medication I have heightened sensitivity to light, and feel a bit lightheaded and dizzy.

Finjunkie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Costco finasteride is fine I been on it for years. Never take random people on the internet's advice over the doctor, people die from that. Also do yourself a favor and stop searching for any side effects possible, because of the placebo effect you will find literally everything. The studies are by far the most accurate information available. Search for "propecia package insert" and it should come up with a document that summarizes all the known studies in FDA approved language.

There's two main suppliers for prescription drugs in the US, McKesson and Cardinal. Some pharmacies source their own but to my knowledge most use those. So the drugs you get from different legit pharmacies should literally be the same, maybe even off the same truck. People that say to use certain pharmacies over others don't know that because they're idiots talking out their asses because it's the internet

mjp92

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think more people probably use generics rather than the original anyway.

Artisan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
QUOTE="mjp92, post: 1576878, member: 133205"]I think more people probably use generics rather than the original anyway.[/QUOTE]

LOTS more people use generics. They'd be stupid not to. I'm a complete and utter fucktard and NEED my PROPECIA like Kevin Spacey needs a hard dick.