New To All This. What's My Norwood Rating And A Few Other Questions.

ThinOnTop55

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been suffering from thinning hair on the crown for a few years now, but in the past its been so light and slow so I let my hair grow out a bit and was able to cover it. Didn't think much of it as I'm 29 and never imagined I'd be bald. Never thought it would get to this point but here we are. It seem's to have thinned out much more over the past 6 months so I've decided to try and do something about it now (though it looks like I should've started a lot earlier).

Attached are some snaps that I took today. Apologies for the bad angles and out of focus shots. These are the best takes, trust me.

Question 1: What rating do you think I am on the Norwood scale? I cant quite place it as the diagrams I have seen have complete bald patches whereas mine is thinning. Please let me know if additional pictures would help.

I bought 6 bottles of Regaine foam 5mg and have started with it today.

Question 2
: Is it better to shorten my hair (grade 2) whilst I am going through the regain for 6 months? It would make it easier to apply to the scalp rather than get it on the hair. I put it on for the first time earlier today and noticed my hair got sticky so I don't want to be wasting any when there's a fair amount of area to cover.

Question 3: Should I start taking Finastride too? I'm thinking of making an appt with the GP and adding that too to give myself the best chance.

Question 4: Would using keratin hair fibres be detrimental whilst using Regaine? I'd let the foam dry completely before applying the fibres.

Answers to these questions and/or any other advice anyone can offer would be much appreciated. I've only just noticed the gravity of the situation (can't see it in mirrors normally) and it's knocked me back for 6.

EF2CCeJ

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 321
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 303
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 323
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 307
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 331
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 319

ThinOnTop55

My Regimen
Reaction score
Photos 2 and 3 probably give the closest view of what it looks like. I don't think the other pictures are as accurate of the true nature.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
NW5V

otis p mcdonald

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hairline looks fairly okay but you have obvious thinning at the crown. I think Finasteride and Regaine would help immensely and I would get on it now

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
Whats ur family history of hairloss? Did ur father bald young? And I think rogaine works best for crown so you might have some good results with that. I used rogaine on my hairline for 4 months and have yet to see results.

ThinOnTop55

My Regimen
Reaction score
The frontal hairline itself seems fine to me. I've not noticed that receding. Temples show signs of receding sonices been applying small amounts of regaine to them too.

Father has significant thinning on crown and top of head, but not completely bald. Not sure when it started for him, perhaps late 30s/early 40s. Elder brother also has thinning on crown but not as significant as mine I don't think. His started in late 20s. I've started regaine and will hopefully start finasteride next week when I see my GP. I'd be happy with getting back to a NW2/3 even. Seeing my hair like this for the first time has really knocked me back confidence wise.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Really?

What's the best I can hope for/expect from 6months of regaine + finasteride?
Since it works best in the crown area, you could reverse it and maintain.

ThinOnTop55

My Regimen
Reaction score
Would it be better if I trimmed my hair down so that more of the regaine went into the scalp? Or would that negatively impact hair growth?

ThinOnTop55

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you think it's too early to consider a hair transplant? Or should I start seeking consultations?

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Need to be on finasteride for about 1 year before you should think about getting a transplant

ThinOnTop55

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've noticed that the hair on top of my head (between the crown and the hairline) has also become very thin as well but I'm finding it difficult to apply the foam evenly over the scalp on this area. Going back to my previous post, is it better to buzz cut it all so I can get the foam onto that part of the scalp easier? Or would that affect the regaine treatment? I don't mind having a short hair cut for a few months in order for the long term benefits.