New To All Of This And Would Appreciate Some Guidance :)

FirstTimer

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

As my thread title says, I am completely new to this. Basically, I'm a 24 year old male who has over the last year or two, noticed a huge reduction in my hair density on top (although i still have full coverage and no sign of recession for the time being). On the Norwood scale I would say I'm a NW1/NW1.5 (My actual hairline and give or take 2cm backwards are of the old density with waves and kinks). However, from the crown onwards, the density is dramatically different (straight and fine)... I'm wanting to plan ahead now and start gathering some ideas as I'd rather resolve this issue now, then spend more time worrying and watching my hair fade away. I'm aware there'll be negatives as well as the positives so please don't shy away from stating your honest opinions or experiences.

Summarising everything up, I'm looking at getting a hair system (a topper, I think it's called) so obviously I would be required to shave the top. Would it be beneficial to get a system that starts from behind the hairline? or just go all out for the full topper? Ideally, I'll do this sooner rather than later (I don't want to spend more time worrying and being this self conscious and luckily I have a long summer break coming up where I'll be looking at experimenting with this). Furthermore, if done right, I presume it could be almost undetectable so nobody would presume a thing. I realise there's maintenance that comes along with it, but that's okay. I'm prepared to find a method/piece that works for me, and will need patience/getting used to, but to be honest, I'm also a little excited. Ideally I'd be wearing the combed back style (dry) so therefor can give some leniency to the hairline perhaps! So If anybody has any recommendations, previous stories (how did you first start out), maintenance guidance/advise, what type of system to choose from material wise, or anything at all related to this, A quick note is exercise wise I'm pretty low so I don't need anything to withstand regular swimming nor gym exercises. Any feedback would be a pleasure to hear! Thank you.

Kind regards
Adam

Last edited:

Noah

Reaction score
Hey FirstTimer

I wear a system and by and large have been very happy with the results of wearing. It is a truism that handsomer people have an easier time in life, and hair replacement is a cheap and easy way to harness that. The downside is the psychological noise that surrounds the idea of males using cosmetic artifice. The official line even today is that real men are not supposed to care about their looks or do anything much to improve or maintain them, and undoubtedly in some people's minds there is a stigma attached to wearing a system if they find out. So this is not for everyone, but it is cheap, painless, reversible, and the results can be excellent and undetectable if you go about it the right way, so it's worth trying if your hairloss bothers you.

Your email doesn't really say what guidance you are looking for, so I will keep it brief. If you decide to wear a system, you have to own the process - decide what style you want, do your own ordering, learn how to maintain the system. Stay clear of places like Hair Club that suggest they will do everything for you - the results are poor at every level. You can buy a great quality system off the Internet for around US$200 - 250, and there is fantastic DIY information on every aspect of the process on the Web. If you have queries, just ask.

All the best

Noah

FirstTimer

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Noah,

I've replied to you via private message, thanks! :) Also for any future posters, I've updated the first post as it was quite vague beforehand. Any more opinions or advice would be greatly welcomed.

86mike

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey FirstTimer

I wear a system and by and large have been very happy with the results of wearing. It is a truism that handsomer people have an easier time in life, and hair replacement is a cheap and easy way to harness that. The downside is the psychological noise that surrounds the idea of males using cosmetic artifice. The official line even today is that real men are not supposed to care about their looks or do anything much to improve or maintain them, and undoubtedly in some people's minds there is a stigma attached to wearing a system if they find out. So this is not for everyone, but it is cheap, painless, reversible, and the results can be excellent and undetectable if you go about it the right way, so it's worth trying if your hairloss bothers you.

Your email doesn't really say what guidance you are looking for, so I will keep it brief. If you decide to wear a system, you have to own the process - decide what style you want, do your own ordering, learn how to maintain the system. Stay clear of places like Hair Club that suggest they will do everything for you - the results are poor at every level. You can buy a great quality system off the Internet for around US$200 - 250, and there is fantastic DIY information on every aspect of the process on the Web. If you have queries, just ask.

All the best

Noah

i just recently discovered hair replacement system, and i am actually very interested. you said that i can by online, (i tried calling clinics in my country it cost a lot, like $1000 per piece) so i just want to ask, don't i need a custom fit? can you provide web address of your seller? thank you