New study on Viviscal

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
I've always thought Viviscal was the odd one out. You might call it a scam, but I've never seen a supplement praised THIS much. Also the success on the market is off the charts, so maybe there is some truth to it? There have been several studies and yes, most of them lack critical data or weren't double blind, etc. But take a look at this article from September 2015. Also, in the round table with the doctors, they all seem to recommend it to their patients.

Also, people blatantly comparing Viviscal to a much cheaper fish oil are of course plain wrong. This marine protein extract ≠ omega 3 fatty acid.

Norwood One

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Wow the study does put some merit to the reviews I've also seen. I'm always wary of Amazon reviews that look like they've been clearly posted by shills.

http://www.amazon.com/Viviscal-Strength-Nutrient-Tablets-60-Tablets/dp/B002JPJ2ZS#customerReviews

But this is very interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

Another relevant link that summarizes all the Viviscal studies done in the past

https://www.georgetiemann.com/ProductInfo/Viviscal/ViviscalTrialsSummaryChart1.asp

"Dietary supplements (Viscaplus) stopped or reversed the spontaneous evolution of Androgenetic alopecia in 69.9% of males and 88.8% of females after 6 months treatment."

- - - Updated - - -

Although the disclosure at the end of the research publication does raise some red flags

"The opinions expressed in this supplement are solely those of the authors. Carl S. Hornfeldt PhD RPh has received honoraria fees as a consultant for Lifes2good. Mark Holland is an employee of Lifes2good. Steven H. Dayan MD was an advisor to Viviscal and an investigator in the clinical studies. Heidi A. Waldorf MD, Vivian W. Bucay MD, Wendy E. Roberts MD, and Steven H. Dayan MD all received an honorarium for their participation in the roundtable discussion."

Steven H Dayan is an advisor to Viviscal and an investigator in the clinical studies.

Axelaxelaxel

Reaction score
Viviscal uses shark cartilage from huge fisheries by-catch, retarded to label it ''sustainable". Just a side note that also questions their credibility. But hey it might do wonders for your hair!

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I have been using for it about 1.5 months and I notice less shedding. I was talking to someone who works at a hair transplant office and they see nothing but positive results from Viviscal. She said you should use it along with Propecia, LLLT, and minoxidil. I use the Vivascal Professional. I used to use Biosil but now I use this.

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been using for it about 1.5 months and I notice less shedding. I was talking to someone who works at a hair transplant office and they see nothing but positive results from Viviscal. She said you should use it along with Propecia, LLLT, and minoxidil. I use the Vivascal Professional. I used to use Biosil but now I use this.

That's extremely interesting. I'm on finasteride and min, but I still want a little extra. I'm now 2 months on BioSil, but also thinking about trying Viviscal instead. Did you get any results from BioSil? Seems to be praised a lot, as well.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
That's extremely interesting. I'm on finasteride and min, but I still want a little extra. I'm now 2 months on BioSil, but also thinking about trying Viviscal instead. Did you get any results from BioSil? Seems to be praised a lot, as well.
I think I am seeing more benefit from Vivascal so I am sticking with it.

irishdub

Established Member
Reaction score
I tried Viviscal for one year. It costs 50-60 euro for sixty tablets. You're directed to take two tablets a day for three to six months, thereafter one tablet a day.
So this will cost you fifty/sixty quid a month for upto six months and 25/30 euro for each subsequent month.
Is it worth it? Well in my opinion, no. Would I recommend it? No. Not worth it for the money.
You'll get NO new regrowth, just a little thickening of your hair.

I started a 15mg Zinc Picolinate supplement three months ago and achieving a better thickening affect with a fraction of the cost.
It says on the Viviscal website that 81% of customers would recommend it. I ain't in that stat. But by all means give it ago if you want to buy a quite expensive thickening supplement.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Doctor House, any regrowth from Viviscal in your opinion?
Too soon to tell. The study says you won't see anything significant until 5 or 6 months but I notice less shedding. Regrowth is very hard to accomplish with most treatments. I will settle for increase in density or thickness or even less shedding. Like I said, I think my source was very reliable as they have seen results in their practice. I do believe nutritional supplement can help but not by themselves. According this office, they believe in a multi-directional approach to hair loss. If you have the money, then go for it. I can afford it so I am going to stick with it.

irishdub

Established Member
Reaction score
Viviscal markets itself as a hair thickening supplement or a supplement for thinning hair. It does not promise to achieve new growth. Apparently there was a small study showing it benefited Alopecia Areata sufferers. I was one of them, it achieved zero new growth there too for me. It will thicken your hair. That's about it.
Also they always get celebrities to promote this product. Last year prominent ex Irish rugby player Ronan O'Gara was brought on board.
This guy has got the fullest, thickest head of hair you could ask for. It was funny, he was on a show here promoting it and the presenter asked him what he was doing taking this product, sure you have a fine head of hair, she told him. He explained he was preventing possible future thinning by using it.

Viviscal is a very expensive hair thickening supplement ALWAYS promoted by celebrities in various countries.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply DoctorHouse. :)

I noticed that you're on Viviscal. How much has it been helping to decrease the amount of hairs you shed? Any other benefits from it or too early to tell?
Too early to tell. I might suffer from thyroid hair loss as well so it might benefit me there. Mostly all the reviews have been positive and the office that told me about said they see their patients benefiting.

mpower

Established Member
Reaction score
let me add another House quote... "if I told you you are right, we'd both be wrong" ;)

I will give this one a try... spent so much money over the years already that it doesn't really matter now... LOL

abcdefg

Reaction score
Sounds pretty gimmicky and snake oil like to me. If celebrities are advertising it and its a guy with all his hair saying it helps prevent future thinning then you know its a joke for suckers. Your better off rolling the dice on experimental stuff RU, Seti, that kind of stuff than giving it to these half assed pseudo science products.

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It would be wise to stick to Biotin, MSM, Multivitamins, and Cod liver oil capsules. This **** is too expensive and the least it can do is improve your hair texture.

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
Sounds pretty gimmicky and snake oil like to me. If celebrities are advertising it and its a guy with all his hair saying it helps prevent future thinning then you know its a joke for suckers. Your better off rolling the dice on experimental stuff RU, Seti, that kind of stuff than giving it to these half assed pseudo science products.

It's more than a gimmick according to the studies. Of course it's no new finasteride or min, but it might very well be one of the best supplements for your hair. Can't expect wonders, but there's a ton of reviews on internet - some of which I'm absolutely 100% positive they're not fake - that people ended up with fuller hair. Sounds like a great supp for the diffuse thinners.

Scaramanga

Reaction score
http://imr.sagepub.com/content/34/5/514.full.pdf

It appears that the vast majority of research was carried out on female subjects (with positive reported outcomes), which led to this product being lambasted on the forums over the years. The above study however was carried out mainly on males, with good results if taken at face value . Published in the Journal of International Medical Research for what that is worth. Small sample size (n=51 males and 4 females) and inherent bias in the hair count test are among the risk factors.

Bukowski

Established Member
Reaction score
I'll say this about Viviscal; I've used for a couple of years. I even stopped smoking cigarettes because it's said that smoking effects the effect of Viviscal. It did not do **** for me. I repeat....did not do ****. Might work for men or women who don't suffer from male pattern baldness though.