New Study: Finasteride, Permanent Ed And Peripheral Nervour System

INT

Reaction score
// Peripheral Nervous System Involved in Post-Finasteride Syndrome Patients with Severe Erectile Dysfunction, New Study Demonstrates for the First Time

Condition also has ‘broad consequences’ on plasma and cerebrospinal fluid neuroactive steroid levels

SOMERSET, N.J., April 18, 2017 – Post-finasteride syndrome (PFS) patients suffer from altered levels of critical brain-function regulators, including neuroactive steroids, according to a new clinical study published in The Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.

Titled Neuroactive Steroid Levels and Psychiatric and Andrological Features in Post-Finasteride Patients, the three-year study also uncovered evidence of neuropathy of the pudendal nerve among those with severe erectile dysfunction.

In all, 16 men with PFS and 25 control patients were evaluated in the study conducted at the University of Milano’s Department of Pharmacological and Biomolecular Sciences by a team of 12 researchers led by Roberto Cosimo Melcangi, Ph.D. The PFS patients had discontinued finasteride for a median of 5.4 years at the time of evaluation, and had no prior history of erectile dysfunction or depression prior to finasteride use.

Key findings of the study include broad effects on plasma and cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) neuroactive steroid levels observed in 14 PFS patients, as compared to 25 controls. Statistically significant decreased levels of DHT, pregnenolone, progesterone, 17-beta estradiol and dihydroprogesterone (DHP), and increased levels of DHEA, testosterone and 3-alpha diol were observed in the CSF of PFS patients.

In plasma, statistically significant decreased levels of DHP and allopregnanolone, and increased levels of pregnenolone, DHEA and testosterone were observed.

Decreased plasma levels of allopregnanolone and decreased CSF levels of progesterone are common features of anxious/depressive symptomatology. Important physiologic effects of neuroactive steroids on brain function include neuroendocrine control of reproduction and sex behavior, synaptic plasticity, morphology of neurons and astrocytes, maintenance of cytoskeleton proteins and myelin, adult neurogenesis, and cognition-related functions.

The study also identified, in 25 percent of PFS patients, the first objective evidence of abnormal somatosensory evoked potentials (SSEP) of the pudendal nerve. Abnormal SSEP findings were observed in PFS patients with severe ED.

Peripheral neuropathy of the pudendal nerve, the major nerve supplying the genitals that is critical for peripheral neurogenic control of erection, in PFS patients is a novel finding that demonstrates for the first time involvement of the peripheral nervous system in PFS patients with severe ED.

Additionally, 50 percent of the PFS patients were diagnosed with major depression based on the results from validated questionnaires, the Mini-International Neuropsychiatric Interview, the Beck Depression Inventory and the Beck Anxiety Inventory.

Such depression represents the first confirmation of findings in research led by Shalendar Bhasin, MD and published last year in The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism (Characteristics of Men Who Report Persistent Sexual Symptoms after Finasteride Use for Hair Loss), which suggested that men who experience persistent sexual dysfunction after discontinuing finasteride have “neurobiological abnormalities.”

“Among the most important milestones of Professor Melcangi’s research is that it builds directly on Dr. Bhasin’s work,” said Dr. John Santmann, CEO of the Post-Finasteride Syndrome Foundation, which sponsored the study.

“Medical science is now one step closer to characterizing the underlying biologic mechanisms of PFS, which in turn promises to pave the way for the development of effective therapies,” he added. " \\

Might explain why guys can still have side effects after quiting finasteride and after homonal levels have returned to normal. Interesting...

INT

Reaction score
Well thats terrifying

Jep it is.

Unfortunately I am also a victim. No mental side effects anymore but my ED remained. Sometimes I manage to get erections up to 90% of what they once were but most of the time it is around 80%. Haven't had proper morning wood in over a year.

g.i joey

Reaction score
Jep it is.

Unfortunately I am also a victim. No mental side effects anymore but my ED remained. Sometimes I manage to get erections up to 90% of what they once were but most of the time it is around 80%. Haven't had proper morning wood in over a year.

Were you having the side effects while on the drug? Also, what makes you classify it as 80% as oppose to 100? Did your c*** shrink?

WMQ

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Makes sense. Remember reading somewhere that 5AR type III is mostly distributed in peripheral tissue. People around forums used to argue that only type I has something to do with your brain and nervour system so people claiming depression, brain fog and permanent ed can only be imagining things. Can't be farther away from the truth.

Sometimes studies like these make you wonder how can people stay on finasteride or even dutasteride the triple inhibitor for years and not getting side effects. It sounds simply impossible when all these dots are connected right? The "individual physiology" can really drastically vary huh

soitbegins

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not really very technical with all this.... but isn't a 16 participant ridiculously small? Also if only 4 out of the 16 had this issue with the pudendal nerve how do we know finasteride caused it? Not a supporter of finasteride or anything i just want to know what the science guys think haha!

WMQ

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not really very technical with all this.... but isn't a 16 participant ridiculously small? Also if only 4 out of the 16 had this issue with the pudendal nerve how do we know finasteride caused it? Not a supporter of finasteride or anything i just want to know what the science guys think haha!
I might be wrong but I think that's not the point of the study. If we can rule out relevancy with percentage then the whole pfs thing might as well gets disregarded. The study is just intended to shed some light on the possible reason why a small portion of people get so fucked up from finasteride.

Not very comforting to the vast majority who take it though haha.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score

A small study is typically done first as these tests are very expensive.

g.i joey

Reaction score
It boggles my mind how some people end up with a whole shebang of symptoms and then some people take and get off the drug without a scratch, as if there's no middle point.

Given, this study was just done to assess whats happening in those with pre existing PFS and not to those who are on the drug or got off with no lingering effects. Still, alot of this info is worrisome to any user.

Grasshüpfer

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Makes you feel pretty weird. But yeah a small subset might experience persisting side effects..

'I don't wear rubbers and I don't wear sunscreen.'
Strawberries - Why?

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
It boggles my mind how some people end up with a whole shebang of symptoms and then some people take and get off the drug without a scratch, as if there's no middle point.

Given, this study was just done to assess whats happening in those with pre existing PFS and not to those who are on the drug or got off with no lingering effects. Still, alot of this info is worrisome to any user.

I'm sure there's a middle point, those people just have mild side effects and don't notice.

@RhinestoneHLT was on finasteride for 11 months and had no idea that he had side effects. It was his wife who informed him that he had stopped grabbing her ***.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Didn't get off Finasteride a day too early it seems.

I don't have ED but my sensitivity definitely isn't like pre-finasteride. On my best day I still have maybe 60-70% of sensitivity down there. I'm sure it can be fixed but it's not easy. It would probably take increasing androgens which of course is counterintuitive to hair loss. This sh*t sucks.

Last edited:

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
what the f*** are we doing to ourselves

I'm just saying, in between the whole Finasteride, Estrogen, AR antagonist and other bullshit we end up dousing ourselves with...

The day I put a rock-hard dick inside a semi-good looking chick as a NW2, I'm gonna call a happy day.

The expectations of the hair loss sufferer are indeed low.

abcdefg

Reaction score
That is an incredibly tiny percentage of the total men on finasteride. I think the whole thing comes down to inhibiting the 5-ar type 3 enzyme on top of the 5-ar 2 it was designed to stop. It does that in the brain and takes out neurosteroids that you didnt want changed.
The erectile dysfunction is probably related to nerves and neurosteroids. Its partly mental not completely physical, and neurosteroids fit that hole

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is RU safter than finasteride?

Unknown.

The mechanisms are different.

RU inhibits the androgen receptor to prevent DHT from binding to the androgen receptor. In theory, little of it goes systemic.

Finasteride inhibits 5ar, to prevent testosterone being converted to DHT, to prevent DHT binding to the androgen receptor, to prevent hair being damaged. Unfortunately, 5ar does many things in the body besides make DHT.