New study fails to demonstrate that baldness is a genetic problem

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
There is not a bald gene, as a eye color gene per example, ....
and if it could exist, which is the evolutive advantage of it? and in healthy scalp hair, without problems with hair loss, only certains hairs have this gene?
many questions.....

bushbush

Established Member
Reaction score
There is not a bald gene, as a eye color gene per example, ....
and if it could exist, which is the evolutive advantage of it? and in healthy scalp hair, without problems with hair loss, only certains hairs have this gene?
many questions.....

Many of these questions where just answered for you on the second page of this thread.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, bushbush, but are very complex for me, :),
Till now I have not see a probe that healthy hairs are different in scalp, and the basament of the current theory are based in the interpretations of ony one person, Dr. Hamilton, with a bunch of patients, .....and all people can be in error. Can any other doctor check the experience? I could have another explanation of eunuch's issue, ....., more simple.... Did you read the hamilton's publicactions?

Since that time, progress has been made in cell biology and laboratory techniques.
I would choose to compare the results today.

I am convinced that if we do a simple test with people with alopecia, we would discover that genetics is only a part of the puzzle. People with thicker hair and higher density, would have much less incidence of common alopecia.
Measures thickness and capillary density by phototrichogram, safe, simple, fast ..... and the result should be obtained would make some headway in trying to prevent the problem, ...., more later I could study the cure but surely it is much more difficult if not impossible.
Anyway I appreciate your comments.

Magma

Reaction score
In science, until something is completely discredited with continuous studies and we have a scientific reason for why it cannot be the case, it is always something that should be studied further. There is no scientific reason to believe there is a credible link between environment and hair loss. However, there is also no scientific reason to believe that such a credible link is impossible. Until this is no longer the case, scientists can always justify searching for possible links as that is how science naturally progresses.

Personally, I'm the only one in my entire extended family to go bald. Everyone else in my extended family is a strong NW0-1 all the way up to my late great-grand fathers. I also live in a completely different climate and country than the rest of my family. I accept the fact that I had a genetic susceptibility to male pattern baldness, but I also believe there is some environmental factors contributing to its manifestations as it would be an extraordinary coincidence that, out of my entire extended family, that I am the only to surpass NW2. Perhaps there is no link, perhaps it really is the result of extraordinary coincidence, but until science can sufficiently rule out any link, there will always be a scientific need to research this possible connection.

AB793

Reaction score
I have a couple of uncles and my father to compare to and I can say with confidence that my hair is by far the worst off of the entire group and I am about 30 years younger than all of them. They all have male pattern baldness to varying degrees (NW1-NW2/3) while mine is more of a NW3V. I attribute my hair loss to 3 factors. I strongly believe that my hair is far more susceptible to DHT than my Dad's, but I believe I have his male pattern baldness gene. In other words, I think that while my dad was young, his hair/follicles were able to fight DHT more effectively than mine are because I have the hair from my mom's side of the family. My older brother shows no sign of male pattern baldness and he has the same type of hair as my dad's side of the family. The third thing that I am almost positive played a part in my sudden onset of male pattern baldness was overwhelming stress/anxiety. I had multiple minor health issues that I feared were far worse than they ended up being, which coincided with my initial realization that my hairline was starting to recede (and has continued to do so, along with thinning of the vertex).

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
thank you to both comments.
A quick question, is your hair, colour, thickness, curly or straight, density or lenght different to your relatives?

Python

Established Member
Reaction score
The theory of evolution works on by producing Random mutations. If we did get a bald gene, it doesn't mean it was an advantage at all, we know that it is not but that's just the way biology works. In the animal world, maybe a gene mutation would exterminate a particular species, but for us humans, the bald gene doesn't render our survival useless.

We are still able to find mates and reproduce and of course, give the genetic baldness blueprint to our offsprings. The point is that many think that simply because this is an evolutionary change, it doesn't mean there was me at to be an advantage. It is a completely random process that took place long ago and we know for sure that it's not an advantage now.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
there are thousand genes regulating hair cycle (*), which is the bald gene?

(*) Dr Higgins in her paper demonstrated this nicely by by performing a micro-array, (a technique which compares, in bulk, gene expression between two or more samples). She showed that there was significant variation in several thousand genes between in vivo DP and 2D cultured DP (Fig 2A of her paper). http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2013/10/16/1309970110

abcdefg

Reaction score
If male pattern baldness were a recessive gene though couldnt it be passed by women in your family tree for many generations without ever showing itself really? I mean it could be in your genetic history really far back and no guy just happened to ever express it until you. Its possible. Yeah its probably a big combination of genes which is why instead of genes we should be trying to stop receptors from being affected by androgens in the first place or a safe way to stop androgens. It will happen in the future, but genes are not that important its more about how to stop it once you do have them and we assume you do if your on here

Python

Established Member
Reaction score
I just think there is a root gene responsible for this cascading series of events. Find that gene, eradicate it and get all of out hair back. We won't get the vital fat under the scalp though.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Phyton, there is not a root gene for common alopecia, other thing is alopecia totalis....

abcdefg

Reaction score
In the face of stem cells looking for male pattern baldness genes is a waste of time and money. In another few decades we will be growing organs and hairs so who cares what the genes are? We do need a better way to prevent or stop male pattern baldness though but even that can be done better ways it seems.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
In the face of stem cells looking for male pattern baldness genes is a waste of time and money. In another few decades we will be growing organs and hairs so who cares what the genes are? We do need a better way to prevent or stop male pattern baldness though but even that can be done better ways it seems.

Bingo.

Eventually, the process for having hair will be as easy as getting injections of cells into balding areas. It'll be dose dependant too so you'll basically tell the clinic how dense you want your hair; 100 or 200 hairs per centimetre squared. Problem COMPLETELY solved.

Now if only I could live a little longer....

Python

Established Member
Reaction score
Bingo.

Eventually, the process for having hair will be as easy as getting injections of cells into balding areas. It'll be dose dependant too so you'll basically tell the clinic how dense you want your hair; 100 or 200 hairs per centimetre squared. Problem COMPLETELY solved.

You're not that old dude. You should consider wearing a hairpiece, what is the worse than can happen?

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Losing his money (I'll say it again, it's the most expensive "solution" to hair loss), his time (and the less practical because of the maintenance), his energy, living in perpetual fear of being discovered, being actually discovered by his family, friends and girlfriend and made fun of in his back until he has no dignity left, someone sneaking behind his back to rip it, a girl ripping it off while he's pleasuring her, getting used to it and accepting this poor solution only to realise 30 years later that it prevented him from fully living his life, as in going in to the sun (the piece turns in a different colour than your native hair), swimming (damages all hair, so imagine a wig), going out when it's windy (you must keep it styled in a certain way so it looks realistic), that it costed him more than 25000$ and more importantly, that he still doesn't have any single hair back.

What's the worst thing that could happen? Oh not much.

HEADSHOT.

Python

Established Member
Reaction score
Losing his money (I'll say it again, it's the most expensive "solution" to hair loss), his time (and the less practical because of the maintenance), his energy, living in perpetual fear of being discovered, being actually discovered by his family, friends and girlfriend and made fun of in his back until he has no dignity left, someone sneaking behind his back to rip it, a girl ripping it off while he's pleasuring her, getting used to it and accepting this poor solution only to realise 30 years later that it prevented him from fully living his life, as in going into the sun (the piece turns in a different colour than your native hair), swimming (damages all hair, so imagine a wig), going out when it's windy (you must keep it styled in a certain way so it looks realistic), that it costed him more than 25000$ and more importantly, that he still doesn't have any single hair back.

What's the worst thing that could happen? Oh not much.

There's solutions to all of those problems. If you accept yourself and admit to family and friends before hand, that you were sick of it and this was the only realistic solution these days. If they can't understand, well they are not really your friends, I know my family would not ridicoule me for it.

If it's a girl you're afraid of, just come clean so there won't be surprises in the future. It's a better life than thinking about this curse none stop, I have to admit. Money comes and goes. I will admit that it might take a visit to the psychologist first.

- - - Updated - - -

Plenty of people are happy with their system

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
There's solutions to all of those problems. If you accept yourself and admit to family and friends before hand, that you were sick of it and this was the only realistic solution these days. If they can't understand, well they are not really your friends, I know my family would not ridicoule me for it.

If it's a girl you're afraid of, just come clean so there won't be surprises in the future. It's a better life than thinking about this curse none stop, I have to admit. Money comes and goes. I will admit that it might take a visit to the psychologist first.

- - - Updated - - -

Plenty of people are happy with their system

Never am I getting a fvcking 'hair piece' I've seen some of my closest friends openly laugh at the sight of a 'toupee'. Hardly anyone respects baldness and even less people respect a rug. I'd rather be fully bald than fully pathetic.

Python

Established Member
Reaction score
Never am I getting a fvcking 'hair piece' I've seen some of my closest friends openly laugh at the sight of a 'toupee'. Hardly anyone respects baldness and even less people respect a rug. I'd rather be fully bald than fully pathetic.

What's your status on your CB vehicle?

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score
Bingo.

Come on people...you're exaggerated, why would you want 200 hairs /cm^2?? Too much greed!
There's no need of such a thing! Even most girls don;t have that density i think.
You need to stop this density obsession.
For me, i'll be more than happy if i had, say, 50-60 hairs/cm^2, but UNIFORMLY distributed all over my head,and good hairline, i'd just keep the hair short and it would look completely fine.
And , if you;re, say, mostly NW3V, this is quite achievable by maintenance with finasteride and some hair transplants, if you're not bad donor, and then, comes the body hair transplante, etc etc...
Why having this SF expectations with 200 hairs/cm^2 and always be deceived because you cannot attain that?
It doesn't help at all!
So go get a hair transplant with a top surgeon, and problem is solved... Aaa, the hair transplant can't give you 200 hair per centimeter unless you transplant 20.000 grafts?
Well, then, bad for you, you're gonna live your life with a poor and not uniform density dreaming every second of 200 hairs/centimeter? What good for?
And what's with this hate on other people you rant here everyday?
You live too much for others opinion on you and too little for yourself, i think...
I'm sure if you got that 200 hairs/cm^2 you would discover other imperfection at you for which others may laugh and again and again...
So go, solve your problem with a hair transplant, and live your life!! As i remeber your hair is not that bad at all...
Why wouldn't you do a hair transplant? At top clinics they really do very good job.
Only because it cannot give you the hair you had at 16?
Why being so greedy? you don't need that!
Let's get down to earth and stop wanting perfection!
Nobody's perfect!
Ok, nature didn't give some of us plenty of hair, but surely we have something in plus towards those with monkey-like heads of hair.
What's the point in craving to perfect hair and live a miserable life, bashing the existing solutions which can make your hair better, but not perfect?? No good, no good, my friend...

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score
You have to understand that once you have a NW1 juvenile hair line transplanted, you keep it for the rest of your life. That's why my surgeon gave me a NW2,5 hair line. I didn't want to look like Ronald Reagan at 60 years old. You may argue that it happens, but it's definitely not common and it looks quite ridiculous. Same for the hair density, the 50 hairs per cm² that I have now are more than sufficient for the long-term.

You are perfectly right and down-to-earth. Your density now is very ok, and it would be even more natural as you age.
Same about hairline. I don;t know, but i find NW0-NW1 hairlines with that small forehead which comes with them not attractive at all. It's not about im frustrated i can never get that(actually i was born with Norwood 2), but it simply doesn't look too attratctive to me, men with NW0 look more like monkeys, no offence...
To have acceptable hair means:
-good hairline, not with "holes" on the temples.
-uniform density on the top, even if it's thinner and not that thick. You would simply cut sides/back shorter and it looks very ok.
As long as it';s uniform and not with patches with very thin and more thicker hair, it is ok. And i could live with that.
I don't get the guys wanting NW0 and 200 hairs per centimeter, they simply need to realise they don't need that.
I even didn't enjoy having long hair when i was younger, and it was much thicker. Simply keeping long hair gives some untidy appearence, it is always better shorter for men, i think. Or maybe the quality and texture of my hair haven't been very good. Shorter hair=means cleaner look, easier to wash/style, etc, better at all. And if you keep it short, there are no big differences in look if you have 50 hairs/cm or 150.
EEven if a cure will come and it would be able to make me thick NW0, i hardly would choose that option!