New Studies Show Vit D Implicated In Hair Loss And Calcipotriol

Medina

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Guys what we're talking about has nothing to do with Vitamin D itself (supplements, injections etc will do nothing)

We're talking about the receptors, which are lower in bald scalps

paleocapa89

Established Member
Reaction score
What about vitamin D3 injections to the scalp? has anyone ever tried that?

A hair transplant doctor (Dr. Amiya Prasad) is performing PRP+ACELL+Vitamin D injections. I have no idea whether it's effective or a scam and I do not want to advertise him by any means, so I'm not gonna link him but if someone is interested, a quick google search will help you find him.

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm getting pretty convinced right now, why wouldn't women be born with the same "hair sensitivity" as their brothers? The answer is that they ARE, they're just protected by the VDR in their scalp, until they get too old or suffer the drop in VDR-boosting hormones. I'm starting to think the reason finasteride works is as much to do with the Estrogen increase as the DHT decrease.

DHT inhibits VDR which causes miniturazation... Am I sounding stupid right now or could this be it?

There is nothing in Finasteride that causes hair growth, you get a small 15% global increase in estrogen which in some users causes minor regrowth. I think this hypothesis has been around for a while.

Medina

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There is nothing in Finasteride that causes hair growth, you get a small 15% global increase in estrogen which in some users causes minor regrowth. I think this hypothesis has been around for a while.

Never heard anyone say it, in fact I used to hear people argue that estrogen causes hairloss

EDIT: but if that's the case then why not just go on a very high estrogen diet? Has anyone tried that?

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
And what's the point in white dudes going bald to get more sun exposure if all the receptors in the scalp are being turned off? Vitamin D needs the receptor to work.

If there are no receptors than the Vitamin D that would have attached to it is now free to go to another place where it is deemed to be of more importance. So this mechanism would serve two purposes: increase the amount of Vitamin D produced and make sure that more of it goes to around the body. Makes total sense.

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Never heard anyone say it, in fact I used to hear people argue that estrogen causes hairloss

EDIT: but if that's the case then why not just go on a very high estrogen diet? Has anyone tried that?

Because it turns you into a woman.

Medina

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If there are no receptors than the Vitamin D that would have attached to it is now free to go to another place where it is deemed to be of more importance. So this mechanism would serve two purposes: increase the amount of Vitamin D produced and make sure that more of it goes to around the body. Makes total sense.

Yes I did think of that after I posted it.. but why not women? Don't they need Vitamin D too?

Because it turns you into a woman.

Doubt that, I think it would help. Not that I'm big on the diet methods.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score

I think that people say estrogen kills hair due to the idea that estrogen upregulates DHT.

Doesn't apply to finasteride users.

resu

Reaction score

Look at transsexuals who were balding when they were men then when they transitioned into female they regrew a ton of hair while on hormones.

Jk1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
M
Guys what we're talking about has nothing to do with Vitamin D itself (supplements, injections etc will do nothing)

We're talking about the receptors, which are lower in bald scalps
Medina from what i read its both vit d serum levels and vit d receptor expression. You need both for this to work. So intetestingly vit d increases estradiol which helps activate vit d receptor. So now we need to find what other things increase vit d receptor. How long did u take vit d before u stopped ?

Jk1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
M

Medina from what i read its both vit d serum levels and vit d receptor expression. You need both for this to work. So intetestingly vit d increases estradiol which helps activate vit d receptor. So now we need to find what other things increase vit d receptor. How long did u take vit d before u stopped ?
A simple regime maybe 5 to 10000 iu vit d internaly and retina a , circumin and cod liver oil topical. Maybe if this was done at an early stage no hair loss would have progressed. The qn is can this also reverse hairloss after scalp skin is now damaged is the qn to me... hence why i will be dermarolling and scalp massage as well to help this repair process.

Medina

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think that people say estrogen kills hair due to the idea that estrogen upregulates DHT.

Doesn't apply to finasteride users.

Is that a fact?

Look at transsexuals who were balding when they were men then when they transitioned into female they regrew a ton of hair while on hormones.

I know

M

But I'm saying it's the receptors that are important if the theory is to be believed. Vitamin D is acquired from food anyway. as well as sunlight, so extra injections/supplements of it would probably lead to Vitamin D poisoning.

It's receptors that need to be looked at

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is that a fact?
I don't know if estrogen actually upregulates DHT, only that it's alleged to do so.

Separately, I mostly agree with you on receptors. However, what the body sees is the product of receptors times vitamin D serum levels. So maintaining slightly higher vitamin D will help you if you're missing 20% of your receptors.

Further, if balding men are missing 20% of their scalp vitamin D receptors, it does seem plausible to me that they might be missing vitamin D receptors elsewhere in the body. That could explain why baldness correlates with insulin resistance, heart disease, prostate cancer, shortness, early puberty, etc.

resu

Reaction score
A simple regime maybe 5 to 10000 iu vit d internaly and retina a , circumin and cod liver oil topical. Maybe if this was done at an early stage no hair loss would have progressed. The qn is can this also reverse hairloss after scalp skin is now damaged is the qn to me... hence why i will be dermarolling and scalp massage as well to help this repair process.

There are supplements that already have curcumin and vitamin d.

https://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/curcumin-vitamin-d-capsule/11279952.html

Medina

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know if estrogen actually upregulates DHT, only that it's alleged to do so.

Separately, I mostly agree with you on receptors. However, what the body sees is the product of receptors times vitamin D serum levels. So maintaining slightly higher vitamin D will help you if you're missing 20% of your receptors.

Further, if balding men are missing 20% of their scalp vitamin D receptors, it does seem plausible to me that they might be missing vitamin D receptors elsewhere in the body. That could explain why baldness correlates with insulin resistance, heart disease, prostate cancer, shortness, early puberty, etc.

Yes I would want to raise my levels too but doing that without fixing the receptor issue will be a waste of time. We've seen this kinda thing again and again in hairloss forums. A study gets released and everyone jumps the gun without understanding the facts, and they sit around wondering why they never got any regrowth from that bottle of Vitamin D sitting in the cupboard.

You make a great point though about the other illnesses, I've done some reading in the past few days and there ARE connections.

Also, VDR's are low in the airways of Asthma sufferers.