New Puretech Article Mentions Follica

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is that because a graft typically has 2-3 hairs each?

What is the typical number of individually implanted hairs (not graft) per 1cm2 in a hair transplant? Since Follica and Riken seem to refer to individual hair counts and not hair groupings.

Yes, grafts are 2-3 hairs, so 2.5. I think the typical maximum density is about 30-40 grafts per 1cm/2. so about 60-100 hairs maybe? I'm not sure.

Torin

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, grafts are 2-3 hairs, so 2.5. I think the typical maximum density is about 30-40 grafts per 1cm/2. so about 60-100 hairs maybe? I'm not sure.

S*** so would there really be that much of a difference in density between a strong hair transplant of 100 hairs per 1cm/2 and if Tsuji only maxes out at 100-120 hairs per 1cm/2? Seeing as normal non-balding density is more like 200-300 I think, so significantly higher.

Not saying Tsuji will max out at 128 hairs but this is what he achieved in the mice and seemed to say with some pride that it matched the average density of Japanese people.

So he might just settle around that 130 mark which of course would make most people more than happy and make his job of replicating and applying the cells that bit easier and cost effective than if he was shooting for the 300, 400 crazy density that we all really secretly want from this.

Either he's shooting for flat, crêpe-like, office hair density that is just OK in that no-one will say you're balding. Or he goes for full rockstar, Michaelangelo's David density.

Last edited:

drakeznathan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
S*** so would there really be that much of a difference in density between a strong hair transplant of 100 hairs per 1cm/2 and if Tsuji only maxes out at 100-120 hairs per 1cm/2? Seeing as normal non-balding density is more like 200-300 I think, so significantly higher.

Not saying Tsuji will max out at 128 hairs but this is what he achieved in the mice and seemed to say with some pride that it matched the average density of Japanese people.

So he might just settle around that 130 mark which of course would make most people more than happy and make his job of replicating and applying the cells that bit easier and cost effective than if he was shooting for the 300, 400 crazy density that we all really secretly want from this.

Either he's shooting for flat, crêpe-like, office hair density that is just OK in that no-one will say you're balding. Or he goes for full rockstar, Michaelangelo's David density.

What ? I thought Tsuji's method is cell division so considering that I was thinking that taking cell from donor area unlimited grafts can be generated. What's up with 100-120 max hair then ?

NorwoodGuardian

Established Member
Reaction score
What ? I thought Tsuji's method is cell division so considering that I was thinking that taking cell from donor area unlimited grafts can be generated. What's up with 100-120 max hair then ?

Lol you believe in this hair transplant shill?
Read his past posts you can find nothing positive and he is trying to create doubt on Tsuji method in terms of releasing time and now the number of hairs.
Torin I am desperate, nothing is going to work, better to have a hair transplant sooner rather than later. Please suggest me a hair transplant doctor lol.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not yet. Will start that process now.

Good luck, I tried talking to so many people affiliated with Follica when I was in Miami, nobody was able to say anything at all.

Torin

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol you believe in this hair transplant shill?
Read his past posts you can find nothing positive and he is trying to create doubt on Tsuji method in terms of releasing time and now the number of hairs.
Torin I am desperate, nothing is going to work, better to have a hair transplant sooner rather than later. Please suggest me a hair transplant doctor lol.

You're crazy paranoid.

hair transplants suck ***. I would never get one in a million years. Nor would I suggest one to anyone. So don't call me a hair transplant shill!

Get a grip and don't insult anyone who raises reasonable questions/doubts. I didn't read that it was against the rules to do that here.

Tsuji is our saviour. I believe it. He created 128 hairs per cm2 and seemed satisfied by saying it matched Japanese hair density. And that's really good.

But I am a perfectionist and hope the density can be tuned to personal ppreference/as high as you want it and Riken/Kyocera will oblige. However it might be impractical for them to offer such tailored service with such new technology at the very start. They may offer a cookie cutter, one size fits all approach.

Now Tsuji must have mentioned 128 hairs pcm2 for a reason. It might be that it is his reasonable goal to offer this more than adequate density to slick bald patients. A scientific breakthrough and success.

Or it might be really easy for them to adjust the cells and be like, "You want 400 pcm2 density? No problem, you got the yen? Let's note it down".

We just don't know but we have to be ready for the lesser reality, that is a 128 pcm2 density cap.

Last edited:

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is it possible it will be released next year?
Also the device is expected to be used at home?

I don't know. I think they're aiming for a 2018 release.

Blackber

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Is it possible it will be released next year?
Also the device is expected to be used at home?
As Hellouser said they're aiming for a 2018 release and that's without any delays which should be expected at this point with any new treatment.

Yes this device is expected to be used at some, they've mentioned a certain type of phone app that will be used along with their device. Presumably the phone app will help you keep track of progress and let you know when/how often to use the device - but that's just my assumption.

Nadia1972

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was advised the Dermaroller to renew cells and have regrowth but many here have said that it does not work.I think I will refrain
All these new treatments to come out 2018,2020.I hope that's true , we not wait for nothing.Otherwise, it will be for my children

Tracksterderm

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Good luck, I tried talking to so many people affiliated with Follica when I was in Miami, nobody was able to say anything at all.
I remember that from the section about your trip to Miami. But I would think it is easier to get some feedback from PureTech rather than Cots directly.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
I remember that from the section about your trip to Miami. But I would think it is easier to get some feedback from PureTech rather than Cots directly.

You wouldn't get details from Puretech though, most of us here probably have a better understanding of hair loss research than the high rollers behind puretech.

Last edited:

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Dr. Cots, Follica youre brilliant! How on Earth did you come up with this novel idea?
;)

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 284

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dr. Cots, Follica youre brilliant! How on Earth did you come up with this novel idea?
;)

Is that the wounding device? Thought it'd be a cheese grater.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's a good idea Hell! Suggest that to Follica and they can get that product on the market in ten short years. Geez.

Maybe they'll release it within 5 years if everything goes smoothly?

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You're crazy paranoid.

hair transplants suck ***. I would never get one in a million years. Nor would I suggest one to anyone. So don't call me a hair transplant shill!

Get a grip and don't insult anyone who raises reasonable questions/doubts. I didn't read that it was against the rules to do that here.

Tsuji is our saviour. I believe it. He created 128 hairs per cm2 and seemed satisfied by saying it matched Japanese hair density. And that's really good.

But I am a perfectionist and hope the density can be tuned to personal ppreference/as high as you want it and Riken/Kyocera will oblige. However it might be impractical for them to offer such tailored service with such new technology at the very start. They may offer a cookie cutter, one size fits all approach.

Now Tsuji must have mentioned 128 hairs pcm2 for a reason. It might be that it is his reasonable goal to offer this more than adequate density to slick bald patients. A scientific breakthrough and success.

Or it might be really easy for them to adjust the cells and be like, "You want 400 pcm2 density? No problem, you got the yen? Let's note it down".

We just don't know but we have to be ready for the lesser reality, that is a 128 pcm2 density cap.
Why would he have to adjust any cells? It depends on how many germs you implant into the 1cm^2 section of scalp. If my memory serves me, you get about 4 hairs per germ on average.

hilbert

Established Member
Reaction score
2.18 world average afaik.
high density hair transplants go up to 70 fu/cm2.
normally 50.
lower densities to save some grafts.
30 fu/cm2 is not cosmetically sufficient in most cases.

Torin

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
2.18 world average afaik.
high density hair transplants go up to 70 fu/cm2.
normally 50.
lower densities to save some grafts.
30 fu/cm2 is not cosmetically sufficient in most cases.

So would 130 individual hair strands amount to approx 50-60 fu/cm2? Same as a mid-range sort of fue?

No reason to think they wod cap it arbitrarily at 130 (why would they?), but it is nonetheless noteworthy that he grew precisely 128 hairs on 1cm2 on the mouse and he added that this was the same density as the Japanese average.

It seems a little low to me even for populations with naturally lower hair density. I think the average is more likely around 200+ for most populations on earth. Probably 300+ in a good deal.

I would have rather seen 250 hairs packed onto our little mohawk mouse! Just to put the full potential of this beyond any doubt.

Last edited: