New Prostaglandins (PGD2 and PGI2) study

ElToso

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Background: Though androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) is one of the most common diseases affecting both sexes and all races, its pathogenesis is not completely clarified. The aim of this study was to investigate the role of the four major prostaglandins (PGs) (PGE2 , PGD2 , PGF2α , and PI2 or prostacyclin) in the pathogenesis of Androgenetic Alopecia in males and females.

Methods: Human scalp biopsies were obtained from 30 adults (17 males and 13 females) suffering from Androgenetic Alopecia and from 30 healthy adults (18 males and 12 females). In each subject, two skin biopsies were performed, one from the frontal bald area and another one from the occipital area with normal hair growth. In the healthy group, biopsies were taken from both areas too. In each sample, all four PGs were measured.

Results: In the patient group, PGD2 and prostacyclin or PGI2 levels were increased in bald compared to haired scalp. On the contrary, measurements of PGE2 and PGF2α showed that they were diminished in bald areas compared to haired areas. PG levels in healthy samples were comparable to the haired areas.

Conclusion: These results support that there is a fine balance between these four proteins in scalp hair follicles, and its maintenance may be crucial for hair growth. Furthermore, their receptors could be potential targets for treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Could estrogen have a function somehow in balancing these four proteins? Would it be hard to alter or correct without estrogen? Just as the discovery of reductase inhibitors changed the way that we thought about androgen production, we might find that estrogen plays some role for both sexes in maintaining a full head of hair.

"Conclusion: These results support that there is a fine balance between these four proteins in scalp hair follicles, and its maintenance may be crucial for hair growth. Furthermore, their receptors could be potential targets for treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia."

Yeah, the paper's not posted, just the abstract. Interesting.

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
They knew PGs play a role back in the 1990s and I wonder why no one targeted them yet (clinically).
If I remember well Cotsarelis study shows that there is a causal link. That increasing PGD2-->inhibits growth. So people have been trying to block PGD2. We got stuff from China a while back. It is hard to figure out without people sticking to their regimen. Since PGD2 blockers - if they work - they likely slow bladness as opposed to show new growth.

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I thought Cotsarelis showed reasonably compelling evidence that by increasing pgd2 ==> baldness.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score

Prostaglandin D2 Inhibits Hair Growth and Is Elevated in Bald Scalp of Men with Androgenetic Alopecia​

We show that PGD2 inhibits hair growth in explanted human hair follicles and when applied topically to mice

Also Cots did not use scalp hairs in human hair culture
"Briefly, human hair follicles in growth phase (anagen) were isolated from face and brow-lift tissue obtained from plastic surgeons."

ElToso

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I find the role of PGI2 interesting, I was not aware of it.

NSAIDs have the ability to block production of PGD2, PGE2 and PGI2
"The production of PGI2 and PGD2 decreases after repetitive administration of niacin in parallel with the development of flushing tolerance"

Most recently it has been observed to block the synthesis of PGI2. No cytoplasmic binding protein has been demonstrated.

ElToso

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It is interesting that this receptor is not overexpressed
in our patients. Perhaps research on treatment should focus on drugs that target PTGDS activity and
not PTGDR2.

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Perhaps this helps explain why this is such a hard one to solve. (not hair loss related)

The effects of PGD2 are extremely context dependent. It can have pro- or anti-inflammatory effects in clinically important pathological conditions.
Collectively, these results show that when hematopoietic PGD synthase is overexpressed, tissue resident cell–derived PGD2 suppresses skin inflammation via DP in the early phase, but hematopoietic lineage cell– derived PGD2 stimulates CRTH2 and promotes inflammation during the late phase. DP-mediated vascular barrier enhancement or CRTH2-mediated neutrophil activation may be responsible for these effects. Thus, PGD2 represents opposite roles in inflammation, depending on the disease phase in vivo

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
We still don't know if pgd2 is the cause of male pattern baldness or just a byproduct of it

People tried seti in the past. Totally useless to take orally, too weak. I saw some success stories with topical seti, but it is costy and apparently its difficult to find quality seti . The others Pgd2 blockers like TM are way too powerful and cause sleep problems, but seems to completely halt shedding.

Seriously, i think Aspirin can be a good weapon along with pge2 analogs

I will try a new protocol to reduces pgd2 greatly with aspirin and Niacin (both oral and in high doses) . Since aspirin reduces pge2 too, i will take oral castor oil since ricinoleic acid has pge2 properties.

Aspirin can cause bleeding problems, that's why you must take vitamin k2 with it. Aspirin reduces glycin, it can causes hearing problems like tinnitus. So supplement yourself with glycin or collagen. Never take aspirin on an empty stomach.

I started today. I will tell you if i see a decrease in shedding or whatever

I have a good feeling this time

Last edited:

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
People tried seti in the past. Totally useless to take orally, too weak. I saw some success stories with topical seti, but it is costy and apparently its difficult to find quality seti . The others Pgd2 blockers like TM are way too powerful and cause sleep problems, but seems to completely halt shedding.

I have not heard of that, interesting. Re TM, people can cut the dose to a bare minimum, until there are not sides I presume? Clearly if they are having sides from a topical means it is quite powerful, going systemic and they are overdoing it. I don't think something need to completely halt shedding to work.

Be careful with Aspirin.

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have not heard of that, interesting. Re TM, people can cut the dose to a bare minimum, until there are not sides I presume? Clearly if they are having sides from a topical means it is quite powerful, going systemic and they are overdoing it. I don't think something need to completely halt shedding to work.

Be careful with Aspirin.
TM, even at extremely low dosage (like 10mg orally), inhibits 100% of the body pgd2. That's the problem, it's too powerful

ElToso

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
TM also binds to the Thromboxane Receptor, so it could give more sides. It also has a long half-life.
Timapiprant (OC) seems like the best choice. I don't know how much it costs on Alibaba on average.

It is interesting that this receptor is not overexpressed
in our patients. Perhaps research on treatment should focus on drugs that target PTGDS activity and
not PTGDR2.
I think this factor should not be underestimated.

Overall, ricinoleic acid, acteoside, amentoflavone, quercetin-3-O-rutinoside and hinokiflavone were predicted to be PTGDS inhibitors with good pharmacokinetic properties and minimal adverse skin reactions. These compounds have the highest potential for further in vitro and in vivo investigation with the aim of developing safe and high-efficacy hair loss treatment.

Isneezedsohard

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don’t f*** around with asprin. I’m sticking to a niacin flush— castor oil protocol. Bro science— but I feel like 1-2mg every/every other night will keep PG levels down, and the stuff that does accumulate, I’ll flush every 3 nights with Niacin flush.

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don’t f*** around with asprin. I’m sticking to a niacin flush— castor oil protocol. Bro science— but I feel like 1-2mg every/every other night will keep PG levels down, and the stuff that does accumulate, I’ll flush every 3 nights with Niacin flush.
Your talking about 1-2g of niacin , right?

1000mg per day seems good. Take it every day, pgd2 is formed constantly

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
TM also binds to the Thromboxane Receptor, so it could give more sides. It also has a long half-life.
Timapiprant (OC) seems like the best choice. I don't know how much it costs on Alibaba on average.

I think this factor should not be underestimated.

English is not my native language, i don't understand the paper very well.

Does it say PGD2 could be not detrimental for hair?

Isneezedsohard

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
English is not my native language, i don't understand the paper very well.

Does it say PGD2 could be not detrimental for hair?
No, it does seem to be bad for hair. It’s elevated in balding men, indicating it has a detrimental effect on follicles and scalp health