New Paper : The Effect Of Cilostazol, A Phosphodiesterase 3 (pde3) Inhibitor, On Human Hair Growth

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29678305

Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Cilostazol, a phosphodiesterase 3 (PDE3) inhibitor, increases the intracellular level of cyclic adenosine monophosphate to cause vasodilation. Topical application of cilostazol is reported to improve local blood flow and enhance wound healing; however, its effect on human hair follicles is unknown.

OBJECTIVE:
The purpose of this study was to determine the effect of cilostazol on hair growth.

METHODS:
We investigated the expression of PDE3 in human dermal papilla cells (DPCs), outer root sheath cells (ORSCs), and hair follicles. The effects of cilostazol on DPC and ORSC proliferation were evaluated using BrdU and WST-1 assays. The expression of various growth factors in DPCs was investigated by growth factor antibody array. Additionally, hair shaft elongation was measured using ex vivo hair follicle organ cultures, and anagen induction was evaluated in C57BL/6 mice. Finally, the effects of cilostazol on vessel formation and activation of the mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway were evaluated.

RESULTS:
We confirmed high mRNA and protein expression of PDE3 in human DPCs. Cilostazol not only enhanced the proliferation of human DPCs but also regulated the secretion of several growth factors responsible for hair growth. Furthermore, it promoted hair shaft elongation ex vivo, with increased proliferation of matrix keratinocytes. Cilostazol also accelerated anagen induction by stimulating vessel formation and upregulating the levels of phosphorylated extracellular signal-regulated kinase, c-Jun N-terminal kinase, and P38 after its topical application in C57BL/6 mice.

CONCLUSION:
Our results show that cilostazol promotes hair growth and may serve as a therapeutic agent for the treatment of alopecia.

Dolph

Established Member
Reaction score
IIRC members of the German hair loss forums have tried this without success

Dolph

Established Member
Reaction score
Honestly though, it is interesting -- vasodilators again.

The more studies I see from all of these different angles, the more convinced I am that there really is an axis of baldness that seems to be more in the realm of diabetes, insulin resistance, poor circulation, etc. Doesn't mean there aren't other causes, but I think the current model of baldness -- breaking up alopecia into only a couple of categories, one of which being the monolithic "androgenic alopecia" -- is wrong. Too many things affect androgens, and too many things that aren't androgenic alopecia, or alopecia areata, etc, are also baldness. The whole model of looking at this is wrong.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly though, it is interesting -- vasodilators again.

The more studies I see from all of these different angles, the more convinced I am that there really is an axis of baldness that seems to be more in the realm of diabetes, insulin resistance, poor circulation, etc. Doesn't mean there aren't other causes, but I think the current model of baldness -- breaking up alopecia into only a couple of categories, one of which being the monolithic "androgenic alopecia" -- is wrong. Too many things affect androgens, and too many things that aren't androgenic alopecia, or alopecia areata, etc, are also baldness. The whole model of looking at this is wrong.

look this way, is somebody punch you , you can avoid the punch, block the punch, or make you as strong as you can so the punch will not hurt you or replace really fast the part that the punch damaged you .
You can block many things or repair the " signals " . That don't mean that is all started cause a couple of things. You can block testosterone, or you can block DHT, or you can block PDG2 , or increase PGEF2 to counteract, in part, the high PDG2, etc. It is complex, but at the same time, really simple .

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29678305

Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Cilostazol, a phosphodiesterase 3 (PDE3) inhibitor, increases the intracellular level of cyclic adenosine monophosphate to cause vasodilation. Topical application of cilostazol is reported to improve local blood flow and enhance wound healing; however, its effect on human hair follicles is unknown.

OBJECTIVE:
The purpose of this study was to determine the effect of cilostazol on hair growth.

METHODS:
We investigated the expression of PDE3 in human dermal papilla cells (DPCs), outer root sheath cells (ORSCs), and hair follicles. The effects of cilostazol on DPC and ORSC proliferation were evaluated using BrdU and WST-1 assays. The expression of various growth factors in DPCs was investigated by growth factor antibody array. Additionally, hair shaft elongation was measured using ex vivo hair follicle organ cultures, and anagen induction was evaluated in C57BL/6 mice. Finally, the effects of cilostazol on vessel formation and activation of the mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway were evaluated.

RESULTS:
We confirmed high mRNA and protein expression of PDE3 in human DPCs. Cilostazol not only enhanced the proliferation of human DPCs but also regulated the secretion of several growth factors responsible for hair growth. Furthermore, it promoted hair shaft elongation ex vivo, with increased proliferation of matrix keratinocytes. Cilostazol also accelerated anagen induction by stimulating vessel formation and upregulating the levels of phosphorylated extracellular signal-regulated kinase, c-Jun N-terminal kinase, and P38 after its topical application in C57BL/6 mice.

CONCLUSION:
Our results show that cilostazol promotes hair growth and may serve as a therapeutic agent for the treatment of alopecia.
Good find. You could of course just use adenosine, growth factors and dermarolll.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
anyone here used growth factors ? only thing i saw was that injection study and it looked promising
Yeah I’m waiting on mine to arrive in the mail. I’ll be using AGF-39. Google it.

Btg

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah I’m waiting on mine to arrive in the mail. I’ll be using AGF-39. Google it.
Phototrichogram showed 9.85% increase in hair density and 9.11% increase in hair thickness. In hair density, 30.1% showed 5-10% increase, and 25% of the patients showed more than 15% increase. In hair thickness, 35.3% presented 0-5% increase, and 21.5% patients presented more than 15% increase.
doesnt look bad if it is true

Seuxin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah, i read this study last week ;) You can geb the fulls tudy using sci-hub.
THey use 0.25% then 1% amount...

I'm sure you can get the raw stuff on alibaba for cheap....Then add to minoxidil...
Btw, i don't believe it could really help us.....