New Paper : The Effect Of Cilostazol, A Phosphodiesterase 3 (pde3) Inhibitor, On Human Hair Growth

InBeforeTheCure

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Good to see they used human DP cells

@IdealForehead, @InBeforeTheCure what do you guys think about this study?

The mechanism may overlap somewhat with minoxidil, adenosine, and PGE2 since all those are known to activate cAMP in DPCs. But as far as I can tell, there have been no reports of hypertrichosis with this drug...? In that case, it's unlikely to do much unless the topical has huge advantages over oral.

kiwipilu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
good find!
in the study they say they used (30% polyethylene glycol + 70% ethanol), as vehicle on mice. cilostazol (0.2 and 1%)..." any mice here?

anyway here some highlights from the study:

"cilostazol and 2% minoxidil, a hair growth inducer used as a positive control, similarly thickened the back skins of the mice."
"findings suggest that topical cilostazol enhances hair growth effectively. Further, cilostazol is suitable for topical use because it is expected to be absorbed through the skin without difficulty due to its low molecular weight (369.46 g/mol). Moreover, the long clinical history of its oral use guarantees its systemic safety following topical use, particularly because its serum level is much lower when it is applied topically [20]. Additionally, in the present
study, cilostazol-treated mice did not show any evident adverseeffects."
"In summary, our results demonstrate that cilostazol significantly stimulates hair growth both in vitro and in vivo. In addition, it accelerates in vitro proliferation of DPCs, enhances ex vivo hair shaft elongation, and induces in vivo anagen hair induction through the promotion of vessel formation."
"The results showed that at concentrations of 1–10 mM, cilostazol-treated DP-CM noticeably enhanced ORSC proliferation more than the vehicle-treated DP-CM. In addition, the most effective concentration of cilostazol-treated DP-CM was 1 mM"
mkayyyy

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So if i dropped 1 x 50mg tablet into 60ml of minoxidil would that equate to roughly same the dose they were using?

baldingAF

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Bumping this back up cause I'm going to have it put in a cream.

Was having a bunch of ish but because of interactions and having the right base ima limit it largely to the PGDTS group of ish.

This is where I live right now:

Quercetin (as they don't have Rutin)
as according to this recent study Rutin (combining the flavonol quercetin and the disacchariderutinose (α-L-rhamnopyranosyl-(1→6)-β-D-glucopyranose) is more effective at blocking PGD2
https://www-ncbi-nlm-nih-gov.proxy-...uercetin-3-O-rutinoside+androgenetic+alopecia

PGE2 (Prostaglandin E2) - 100mcg/ml

Cilostazol - listed in this forum

Does anyone have any idea on the concentration of Quercetin that would be best?

Gonna try this out soon so if anyone has an idea on additional compounds, interactivity or vehicle (currently is water based transdermal topical) I am open to it all

P.S. Got tired of minoxidil but might go back and Finasteride/Duta is not an option for me