New here/New Hair, Beginner Questions

Technologic0280

My Regimen
Reaction score
Years (Decade?) long lurker, but finally took the plunge before the holidays and went to my local hair replacement place. Had my system cut-in and bonded on the 4th of January. I went with tape because I was nervous I would react to any glue (allergies). Been balding for many years (I turn 41 in 3 weeks). So learning a TON here, but have some questions about my new system.. I have a poly/lace hybrid, which the place felt would be best for me given my very active lifestyle. So far, I am loving it!!

* I've had it 2 1/2 weeks now, and washed it twice by removing it and shampooing/soaking/conditioning. How often should I wash the system?

* What can I use to get tape residue off the poly part of the system? I have been using rubbing alcohol but the tape residue is STUBBORN o_O

* Is it OK that I remove it every two days because what little hair I DO have grows fast, so I need to shave my head, and it feels SO GOOD to air out my scalp?? lol. Yes. its a breathable base, but damn does it feel great. No harm in removing it so often, right?

Thanks for any replies. Starting out at ground zero, but learning fast and loving it. I wish I hadn't waited so long.

PaulMac

Reaction score
Glad to hear of your success my man!

Are you using tape on poly skin? I think that's supposed to be a no-no but I've only had lace systems myself.

I'd just use shampoo to wash it then use leave in conditioner. Most regular conditioners leave a coating on hair and might interfere with the lace in my experience. There are some all natural ones that I would seldom just scrunch into the hair rather than washing the whole thing with it though.

Removing it to often probably isn't great for the longevity of the hair lasting. You might need a new system in 2 months or so at that rate. Once again though, I can only speak for lace systems. Some hairs definitely come out every time you clean the system.

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Techno, let me add my congratulations on taking the plunge. It's great to hear it had been a positive experience for you. Here is my perspective on your questions:

* I've had it 2 1/2 weeks now, and washed it twice by removing it and shampooing/soaking/conditioning. How often should I wash the system?

I shampoo my lace system weekly. The rest of the time (e.g. after sports and workouts) I just shampoo my biohair at the sides and back, and just let the warm shower water run through the system hair. I find if is enough to keep it looking good. Always condition the system any time you shampoo it, and try to keep the conditioner off the knots.

* What can I use to get tape residue off the poly part of the system? I have been using rubbing alcohol but the tape residue is STUBBORN o_O

Some people use baby oil. Or you could soak that part of the base in a shallow dish of 99% isopropyl alcohol. When you say "poly/lace hybrid", do you mean lace with a poly rim, or what sort of design?

* Is it OK that I remove it every two days because what little hair I DO have grows fast, so I need to shave my head, and it feels SO GOOD to air out my scalp?? lol. Yes. its a breathable base, but damn does it feel great. No harm in removing it so often, right?

Some people remove every night for bed and sleep bald, although that is not so common among younger guys. Continually pulling the system off can take a toll on it though. It can stretch and distort the lace, which will cause wrinkles in your attachment later, or if you are using tape on thinskin you could tear the base. You could try using light-tac tape, which comes off more easily, although it depends on your domestic circumstances and your lifestyle. Obviously you don't want the thing coming off in the course of your normal physical activities.

Anyway, enjoy your new hair and your new look!