New Hair Piece And Anxiety Anxiety Anxiety

Tommo1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just got a new hair system today and the anxiety is killing me. It doesn’t even look too bad just totally different than what I’m use to.
I’m off to a wedding in 4 weeks and normally wear a hat most of the time if not I have toppik in, but it looks totally different.
Anyone gone through the same experience?

Noah

Reaction score
I think pretty much everyone has had that feeling, but it will go away in a few days. My suggestion is to drive to a town well away from where you usually hang out, where you know you won't bump into anyone you know and you can completely relax. Then go out and talk to people. Wander around the shops, talk to the shop assistants, go into a pub and chat to the barman. Get used to the fact that people are not looking at your hair - what they are seeing is a normal bloke with a regular appearance - nothing to see here.

Are you aiming to make a stealth transition, without anyone picking up on it? Is that the source of the anxiety? If so, then prepare for the worst - work out what you will say if anyone pics up on the new hair. Hopefully they won't, but you will feel better if you have planned and rehearsed for it. There are a range of options, but my favourite if anyone spots anything and raises it is to say 'yeah, I was thinning a bit, so I have had some treatments to thicken up my hair. But listen, it's still a sensitive subject with me, so if you don't mind I don't want to talk about it, and I would appreciate it if you keep what I have just told you to yourself'. I have used that line a few times when I have chosen to tell girlfriends. If you are really firm and direct like that 99 times out of 100 people will respect your wishes.

Good luck man, and take it easy.

Noah

Tommo1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice mate.
I’m really not use to having hair this thick, even though I went for a low density piece 80 per cm I believe, probably should have gone for 70 I guess.
It seems to sit a little bit high, do they normally settle down after a while?

Noah

Reaction score
They do start off a bit bouffant, and then the knots settle down in about a week. You can help the process along by wearing a beanie or a ball cap over the unit.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The feelings you have are normal. I went through the same kind of transition. Most people don't know about systems so will probably assume you've had a hair transplant done. You could even go to another stylist and have the system thinned out more - but be careful and make sure the stylist is aware that it's a system.

Get some leave-in conditioner and use it a few times a day to weigh the hair down.
And wash your hair a couple of times (cool water). This will help get rid of the bounce.

Tommo1

My Regimen
Reaction score
image.jpg
Thanks for the help guys but I’m freaking the f*** out right now!
Really put my self in a corner this time. I’ll feel like I’m either going to have to shave it and bare all my scars in front of everyone or wear the system and get caught out for that. I’ve got just under 5weeks to sort this out.

Noah

Reaction score
No need to get freaked out about that. The place that sold you it has done a good job - it is very restrained and conservative on density and on the amount of recession they have built into the design. They were right to do that, because you do have some recession of your side hair. But the result looks very authentic and balanced - no hint of a hairpiece to me, and I know what all the common tells are.

The only slightly negative comment I would have is that it is very black. It is a good colour match with your side hair so far as I can tell from the photo, but your side hair is also very black. One would normally expect a 36 year old man to have at least a few grey hairs, and a small percentage of grey (even 5%) would add authenticity to your piece. But if I saw you out on the street I might suspect that you dye your hair; I wouldn't be clued in that you wear a hairpiece.

So chill man - no one is going to be able to tell from looking at you that you're wearing.

Noah

matt0135

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey dude your system is good with the recession and everything .end of the day it's always going to be more hair than you're used to .

With my first piece it was a tad too dense so I would put a lot of mousse in it and that showed more scalp and did the trick.

Tommo1

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ll post a few more pics tonight. Spoke with the lady and she’s going to thin it out a bit and tone the colour a bit, and if I’m not happy with that we will try a thinner system.
Shouldn’t have left it till the last minute.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ll post a few more pics tonight. Spoke with the lady and she’s going to thin it out a bit and tone the colour a bit, and if I’m not happy with that we will try a thinner system.
Shouldn’t have left it till the last minute.

I REALLY don't suggest you f*** with this. The color match looks spot on, the cut looks perfect (put a little product on the cowlick in the back).

The density is fine.

I see SO many examples of guys going from balding to WALL OF HAIR and super extreme (ok, we will ignore my Viking ponytail, I am not a conservative person).

I really think you should be very happy with these results.

Seriously!

Tommo1

My Regimen
Reaction score
image.jpg
Thanks guys.
I went back to get some touch ups done and thinned the system out considerably, I’m much happier now! The only problem is the hair line, seems to get a black line where it joins is it the glue? How do I get rid of it?

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Tommo, the picture is not clear enough to be able to see what you are referring to. Could you try for a more focussed one?

Tommo1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Turns out it’s just the glue building up on the edges cleaned up ok.
So I just got another system an ultra thin skin one and it is so much better than the lace one, I can barely tell I’m wearing it. I would say 99% undetectable only problem is the price$1000 aud
And it only lasts for a month or so, surely I can find something similar for better price, might try north west lace??

Noah

Reaction score
Turns out it’s just the glue building up on the edges cleaned up ok.
So I just got another system an ultra thin skin one and it is so much better than the lace one, I can barely tell I’m wearing it. I would say 99% undetectable only problem is the price$1000 aud
And it only lasts for a month or so, surely I can find something similar for better price, might try north west lace??

That is a ridiculous price for one month's worth of hair. Why does it only last 1 month? What happens at the end of the month?

Tommo1

My Regimen
Reaction score
I actually don’t know what happens after one month of wear, I think it tears if you take it on and off.
Bit of a rough pic but you can see straight through it and it just looks like scalp

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 263