new guy needs some help

paulr

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have come to terms with my hair loss, this sh*t is not gonna get any better. I have tried propecia and threw away 15,000 on hair transplant. It really hurts, not the fact that I spent so much money but the fact that im losing hair and its not getting any better. im combing literally 200 hairs out of my head after a shower. a couple of weeks ago, i was so depressed that i didn't shower for 3 days cause i didn't want to see my hair fall out :sobbing:

needless to say that this threw my confidence down the drain, 2 years ago, i was an out going guy that would flirt with girls without even knowing it. now i am afraid to be around girls because i don't want to be judged.

anyhow, that was then and im ready to move on. i am pretty young and can not see myself being bald while the rest of my friends have amazing hair.

i have been looking into getting a "hair system." and wanted to get some questions answered.

1. what is a good company for this? is it more important to find a good manufacturer or find shop that would cut and attach the hair.

2. i was not able to verify this, but there are pieces that you can keep on for several days at a time and those that you remove and put on daily. what are the advantages and disadvantages of both?

3. do you guys like the wigs? does it really make you more confident?

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Paul

Sorry to hear about your problems, particularly the 15 grand on transplants. That's a sickening amount of money to lose. What happened with those - they simply didn't take?

Anyway, it sounds like you have a positive attitude. Let me see if I can help you with some of the detail.

1. what is a good company for this? is it more important to find a good manufacturer or find shop that would cut and attach the hair.

You have 2 or possibly 3 choices.

First, you can go to a hairpiece salon, which will take your measurements, order a hairpiece for you, fit it and probably maintain it for you. Prices vary wildly, but you can expect to pay around the 1,000 mark for the unit and maybe about 80 - 100 for maintenance. Most of these places push you towards a monthly regime - ie the piece is hard-bonded on and you keep it in place for a month a time, doing some maintenance on the front hairline yourself during the month. You go back every month, and they take the piece off, give you a haircut and a head scrub, and glue it back on again for another month. The best known / most notorious exponent of this method is Hair Club for Men, but there are many others, some national franchises and others local. The hairpieces have to be fairly heavy-duty to stay decent-looking for a whole month. Obviously if you go this route you want a salon near to you. Since I don't know where you are I can't make any suggestions.

Second, you can buy your own hairpieces on the internet. This is the favoured route for younger guys now, and it is what I do and what I would recommend. You can get very good units for around 200. There seem to be more decent quality vendors springing up every month. The ones I have found to be decent are Coolpiece and BA Hair Apparent. You have to make your own template, but it is not rocket-science. You also have to find a local barber to cut your piece in, or you can do that remotely on the internet too. With this method you have control over how often you take your piece off. The average is about every 7-10 days, although you could do it every day if you wanted. Because they don't have to last as long, the pieces can be finer quality.

The third possibility is a combination of the first 2 - you find an obliging local salon who will help you make a template to allow you to buy on the Web, and will then fit the piece, cut it in and generally show you the ropes. This is only a possibility if you can find such an obliging salon. Many places which sell their own pieces will not cut in internet-bought pieces, so you would need to ask around.

2. i was not able to verify this, but there are pieces that you can keep on for several days at a time and those that you remove and put on daily. what are the advantages and disadvantages of both?

Yes. The pieces are the same, it is just the methods of attachment that are different - ie you use less strong glue or tape if you want to take off every night. I know a few younger guys who take their pieces off every night, but it is more a thing for older guys whose wives know they wear. If you don't sleep in your piece it cuts down wear and tear on the piece and gives your head a break. The disadvantage is that your attachment is less robust - if you can peel it off every night so could your 4-year-old nephew! Most younger guys who are dating want a firm hold, and probably don't want to see themselves shaved to a horseshoe more than they have to.

3. do you guys like the wigs? does it really make you more confident?

This is a very subjective issue. I much prefer it to being bald for all the reasons you mentioned. My peer group have good heads of hair, whereas I was noticing a distinct waning in interest by girls as my hair was receding. Now I have my hair back I have the girls back; simple as that. So it is really worth it for me. I am less self-conscious, and I no doubt give off a more confident vibe. And I am simply much better looking with hair, as I think most white guys are.

On the other hand, of course the hair is not growing out of my head. My increased confidence depends on me keeping that a secret, or at least managing the information on a need-to-know basis. I wont deny that when you first get a piece you do worry that everyone will be able to tell, and that you will be made a laughing stock. But provided you do a decent job of transitioning that wont happen, and the paranoia eventually goes away. Every now and again I get a frisson of concern that someone has spotted my piece, and every so often I have to have an awkward conversation with someone (a doctor or whatever), but so far the experience has definitely been a positive one. I think more young guys would think more seriously about the possibility of wearing a hairpiece instead of shaving or a transplant if they knew how good they look.

I hope that was helpful. Feel free to keep asking questions until you get the info you need.

Noah

Last edited:

tizonalex

Reaction score
Hi Noah

Does tape make your scalp itchy and give you an allergy? I have a hair piece with a hair clip system (no implants) of course not robust, also because the front hairline isnt so good I have to have a fringe to hide it. I am worried that my scalp will be damaged from using all that tape and glue.

My hair is quite thin, and can just cover up the bald spot. The thought of shaving my head scares me because there's no going back.

thanks

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Tizonalex

I haven't had any significant problem with itchiness due to tape allergies, although I know a couple of guys who have. But there are dozens of different brands of tape, so if you notice an allergic reaction you just change to another brand. You would be very unlucky if you couldn't find a tape that would work for you.

To be honest I would be more worried about a piece held on with clips, because of the possibility of traction alopecia (the clips irreversibly nixing the hair they are attached to by constantly pulling on it). Plus, as you say, you don't get a very firm hold and the attachment is very detectable to the touch. Do you use tape to keep the front hairline down? What kind of base are you using?

I don't suppose any guy likes to shave off his hair, but you get a far better look and feel from a hairpiece which is attached to bare skin, so you really have to do it if you are committed to wearing a piece. And it is not really true that there is no going back. If you hate the piece you have the option of tossing it in the trash and buzzing your head, and no one will be any the wiser. In 6 weeks you will be back where you started. You can tell your friends that you had a skin rash and the doctor told you to buzz, or you can tell them you thought you might like a buzzed head but now you have decided you don't.

Noah

tizonalex

Reaction score
Hi Noah

Thanks so much for your response. It was really helpful. The hair piece that I have at the moment I got it from a private vendor in Australia who ordered it from South Korea, the vendor will not give me the name because otherwise I can go order it myself without her. It's real human hair, but I don't think the quality is that great because you have to have a fringe to cover up the front line, because it is a using clips. No I don't use any tape of glue for the front line because I still have some hair underneath.

My hair is in the thinning stage so I thought clips would work best for me just for now, however it doesn't look very good, and I think some people can tell that it's a wig, because when they see me they would stop looking at my face when talking to me. For those who know me, they wouldn't stop looking at my hairline. I feel kind of awkward talking to people in that wig I have.

Noah do you know of any good hair piece companies that you would recommend. I live in Australia, the ones over here are Whitecliff, Advance Hair Studio, Ashley and Martin. I am thinking about Whitecliff hair at the moment from what I have researched. I don't trust Ashley and Martin.

Thanks heaps :)

Tizonalex

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Tizonalex

In the long term you don't want to be stuck with a hairpiece on which you can't expose the hairline. There is going to be a day when the wind blows blows your fringe up or someone runs their hands through your hair, and you will be embarrassed. A nice lace piece glued or taped to shaved scalp will avoid that and is the way forward.

I don't really want to name good and bad suppliers on a public forum. If you send me a PM I will give you the information I have.

Noah

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Seaback

Yes, you can do that with most hairpieces. I would do that with my lace pieces if I needed a very secure bond - eg if I was water-skiiing. It is a bit over the top for everyday wear, and obviously there is more mess to clean up when you take it off, but I know at least one guy who always wears a full-head bond because he likes the feeling of absolute security.