New Dermaroller Study; Thoughts, comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadman1

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone getting bruising? I use a 192 pin 1.5 mm and bleed but seem to get some slight bruising at the temples. Is this good or bad?

2young2retire

Experienced Member
Reaction score
reddish skin? thats very very good. indicates part of the healing provess in more particular when its like this stemcell activity is going on. be glad.
Anyone getting bruising? I use a 192 pin 1.5 mm and bleed but seem to get some slight bruising at the temples. Is this good or bad?

hairregrowth21

Established Member
Reaction score
Is anyone trying a protein shake after wounding?

I can go to the gym and lift all I want but if I don't give my body proper nutrition the muscles won't grow...

Wiggle

Reaction score
I have rolled 5 times so far. I feel a very good blood circulation after rolling. Focusing mainly on the temples, I've noticed many more vellous hairs growing in that area. They haven't matured yet but I'm seeing no real downsides so I will continue and see if it develops into anything serious.

slam1523

Banned
Reaction score
Wiggle when did you start seeing vellus hairs? Just did my 3rd roll and I bled like a champ and my temples are still super red from doing it this morning... I'm just focusing on my temples too... I've never used minoxidil on them soley, but I started after my first roll... Not seeing anything yet, but I really didn't expect to see anything for at least 6 months if in fact it is a treatment that works for me

maher

Banned
Reaction score
Fred is right. When i was applying minoxidil only on my temples area, vellus hair grow all over my forehead and cheeks. Could be i transmited it on my pillow. idk.

Anyway-- i hear monobraw is a HUGE hit in Belgium:

20061031021319!Monobrow.jpg

Wiggle

Reaction score
Wiggle when did you start seeing vellus hairs? Just did my 3rd roll and I bled like a champ and my temples are still super red from doing it this morning... I'm just focusing on my temples too... I've never used minoxidil on them soley, but I started after my first roll... Not seeing anything yet, but I really didn't expect to see anything for at least 6 months if in fact it is a treatment that works for me
I just saw them quite recently. After probably my 4th roll. They were mostly white but quite dense, some of them were more light blonde in colour (my actual hair colour is dirty blonde/light brown). I shaved them off a few days ago just so I could keep a better eye on if they start to thicken/darken as they come out of the follicle. The reason I am confident they are from the rolling is because I've been on minoxidil alone almost two years and I've rolled my "bad" temple much more aggressively and it is the one where all the vellous hairs are growing noticeably.

It's hard to tell what it's doing for my scalp, I can't get quite as hard as I'd like there because my hair gets in the way a bit and it's hard to numb that area (also due to the hair). But I don't seem to have lost anything since I've started the rolling.

slam1523

Banned
Reaction score
@fred why does it say on the bottle not to put it anywhere but the scalp if it can't be used to target? I was under the impression that initially rogaine said place it on your crown to see results on your crown why would it be different for the temples? Do you have a link or anything or is that just your opinion if it? Thanks for the help man... If it doesn't help I don't want to do it, cause it takes forever to dry! @wiggle did it all start showing up quick or did it start growing after week two but become more noticeable after week 4? Cause right now mines as shiny as when I started

Plyschapan

Reaction score
I completed the study at new years. Now I'm doing dermarolling every 14 days. What I have noticed: Tons of peach fuss along and below my hairline. The hairs are only visible at certain light conditions. Some of them have turned darker. They popped up after a few weeks, but since then not much has happened to them.

What I can say for sure is that my existing hair is thicker and growing longer. I used to be able to see (vaguely) my scalp at the vertex through my hair when I leaned forward and looked up in the mirror. I can't see it anymore. I can even tell with my naked eye just by looking at individual strands of hair that they are thicker than they used to be.

Also my fringe has been minituarized since forever. Hairs would only grow a certain length. Now my hair grow several centimeters longer. I can tell because I have baseline photos of my fringe pulled down on my forehead.

A few days ago this girl I've been seeing for a few years said: "I've never seen you with this much hair before, keep saving!" And I know she has a pretty good grasp of what my hair usually looks like because she is always staring at my hair line. You know the stare I'm talking about.

So, even if this is not a miracle cure, so far it's definitely the best treatment I've tried. Been on finasteride for 10 years. If it wasn't for that I would probably be completely bald now. But all it did was slow down the rate of hair loss. Since I started dermarolling my hair is actually getting better and better for the first time ever.

I've decided to go all in with the hair treatment these coming six months. Besides dermarolling, finasteride and minoxidil I will be adding Curcumin, resveratrol, capsaicin, biotin, L-carnitine, soy isoflavones, theaflavin and taurine.

Hair city here we come!

super

Reaction score
I completed the study at new years. Now I'm doing dermarolling every 14 days. What I have noticed: Tons of peach fuss along and below my hairline. The hairs are only visible at certain light conditions. Some of them have turned darker. They popped up after a few weeks, but since then not much has happened to them.

What I can say for sure is that my existing hair is thicker and growing longer. I used to be able to see (vaguely) my scalp at the vertex through my hair when I leaned forward and looked up in the mirror. I can't see it anymore. I can even tell with my naked eye just by looking at individual strands of hair that they are thicker than they used to be.

Also my fringe has been minituarized since forever. Hairs would only grow a certain length. Now my hair grow several centimeters longer. I can tell because I have baseline photos of my fringe pulled down on my forehead.

A few days ago this girl I've been seeing for a few years said: "I've never seen you with this much hair before, keep saving!" And I know she has a pretty good grasp of what my hair usually looks like because she is always staring at my hair line. You know the stare I'm talking about.

So, even if this is not a miracle cure, so far it's definitely the best treatment I've tried. Been on finasteride for 10 years. If it wasn't for that I would probably be completely bald now. But all it did was slow down the rate of hair loss. Since I started dermarolling my hair is actually getting better and better for the first time ever.

I've decided to go all in with the hair treatment these coming six months. Besides dermarolling, finasteride and minoxidil I will be adding Curcumin, resveratrol, capsaicin, biotin, L-carnitine, soy isoflavones, theaflavin and taurine.

Hair city here we come!

Wow.. that is very similar to my case! But i saw good gains when it comes to hair, specially after the doctors started dermarolling in places where i still had hair, not where i have a lot of hair, but where i still had them and they were thinning.

I saw that a lot of people asked questions about my treatment. Since it will be a long post, i will wait till i have more time and asnwer them all (the PMs also). I already explained my case hundreds of pages back, but i can do it again. Now, people seem to be more positive about it. When i first posted here, everybody was just saying i was full of ****, even when i posted some pictures (i almost don't take them, since i don't need to control anything, i SEE my hair getting better month by month, instead of just getting thinner and thinner as it was before).

And the DR certainly made my hair grow longer and thicker as you described too. My hair is only getting better, really slowly, but only getting better. And since is took years for my hair to get as thin as it was, i imagine it will take years to get great results with dermarolling. It is like the process flows now in the other way. Instead of slowly loosing hair, i am slowly gaining it (idk if someday it will stop).

I also noticed a pattern with my DR. The areas where i lost hair last where the areas where i started recovering it first. My temples where the last thing i "lost" and it is where i am seeing more results, really great results by now.

2young2retire

Experienced Member
Reaction score
norwood? LOL

- - - Updated - - -

hi super. any pics?
Wow.. that is very similar to my case! But i saw good gains when it comes to hair, specially after the doctors started dermarolling in places where i still had hair, not where i have a lot of hair, but where i still had them and they were thinning.

I saw that a lot of people asked questions about my treatment. Since it will be a long post, i will wait till i have more time and asnwer them all (the PMs also). I already explained my case hundreds of pages back, but i can do it again. Now, people seem to be more positive about it. When i first posted here, everybody was just saying i was full of ****, even when i posted some pictures (i almost don't take them, since i don't need to control anything, i SEE my hair getting better month by month, instead of just getting thinner and thinner as it was before).

And the DR certainly made my hair grow longer and thicker as you described too. My hair is only getting better, really slowly, but only getting better. And since is took years for my hair to get as thin as it was, i imagine it will take years to get great results with dermarolling. It is like the process flows now in the other way. Instead of slowly loosing hair, i am slowly gaining it (idk if someday it will stop).

I also noticed a pattern with my DR. The areas where i lost hair last where the areas where i started recovering it first. My temples where the last thing i "lost" and it is where i am seeing more results, really great results by now.

super

Reaction score
I stopped taking pics months ago (and the only good before and after i could make - i posted here before in this thread - is with a picture i took in july 2013, so the hair is actually way better now). And i only took the pictures to put on the forum, and i had no pictures to make a before and after on my temple (no before picture), and that is where the best results came, my hairline advanced considerably. Also the volume is better, and it also doesn't really show well on the crown pictures. The fotos i have that could make a decent comparison are those i put below, i posted them before here. But my hair is way better now, i only started DR hard (bigger area) in january (last year) and only started doing it twice a month (i did once a month before) in june or july. So the hair got a lot lot better after the "after" picture i have, since every time i do the procedure tiny new hairs appear. That means, doing it twice a month made the hairline grow exponentially.

Still, the results are pretty good, since the pictures are about 1 year apart, and at that time i was loosing hair FAST. So only maintaining it would be a awesome, but i did not only maintain. I gained hair on the temples (not shown in this picture unfortunately, maybe i will take a picture showing how it is now and explaining where it was before), i gained more volume overall and the crown is very slowly closing, i think DR may have great effect on people with diffuse hair loss, since new hair tends to appear more in areas where you already have it.

In the pictures below, you can only see the crown. Some people may not even see a lot of difference, but, as i said, in that period of DR i did it once a month only, sometimes once every 1.5 month, and in a smaller area. So, just maintaining the hair was a great result, i was balding really fast. After that, we improved the procedure (doing twice a month and more agressively, so the results in the last 6 months are better). Some may not see regrowth. I looked at the pictures a lot, and you can clearly see a reduction in the crown bald area and more hair in the top front area, more volume. Look at them bigger, in the thumbnail you may not see much, but if you look at them big, you will see some areas that were more "white" becoming "gray" (new small hairs) and some differences in volume at the top front area of the head and a reduction in the bald crown area

Before After
Topbeggining.jpgTopmiddle.jpg

Here only crown pictures (same period):

crownbeginning1.jpgcrownmiddle.jpg

And here some microscopic pictures. You can see tiny hairs growing, some more mature hairs, and if you pay attention, there are a lot of dots, black dots, that are hairs about to grow.

117 01 10 13.jpg118 01 10 13.jpg

And, as i said, those are pretty outdated pictures. My hair got better from there.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and i only started minoxidil after like 6 months of treatment, and it made a good difference (specially on the temples, only after minoxidil they started growing). So, i only started really doing the DR thing in january.

slam1523

Banned
Reaction score
@super did you just apply minoxidil evenly throughout the scalp or did you run it specifically into the temples?

super

Reaction score
I am not very careful with minoxidil, i apply it basically into the temples, crown area and also the top front area of the head. Basically in every place my doctor rolls now.

In the last two times i went there, my doctor started doing also carboxytherapy, this is supposed to help even further with the blood flow. But i only did it 2 times, so i don't know if it has any results, the doctor is just testing it, for free. He does it before rolling. It probably has some effect, since it basically does what minoxidil does, but in a bigger way. I think my hair got even thicker and longer after it, but for now it is only speculation. Before rolling, they also apply a peeling formula they make, a very strong one, after that anaesthetic and then roll (now, caboxytherapy and then roll).

Youcandoit

Established Member
Reaction score
http://health.yahoo.net/articles/mens-health/cure-baldness-could-lie-our-skin-cells

Baldness cure may lie in skin cells, more evidence supporting dermarooling

All men, no matter how young or old, fear the onset of baldness and will do anything in their power to either reverse or prevent hair follicles from thinning. A study out of the University of Pennsylvania’s Perelman School of Medicine used human epithelial stem cells to regenerate missing or dying hair follicles in mice for the first time in medical history.
According to the American Academy of Dermatology, the most common type of hair loss, or alopecia, is hereditary hair loss which affects approximately 80 million men and women in the United States. Hereditary hair loss, also known as male pattern-baldness in men and female pattern-baldness in women, is currently treated through hair transplantation procedures, certain prescription medications, scalp reduction or expansion surgery, or laser devices that emit laser light capable of stimulating hair growth.
“This is the first time anyone has made scalable amounts of epithelial stem cells that are capable of generating the epithelial component of hair follicles,” Dr. Xiaowei “George” Xu, associate professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine and Dermatology at the Perelman School of Medicine said in a statement.
Going Bald Named The Greatest Aging Fear By 94% Of Men
Xu and his colleagues from Penn and the New Jersey Institute of Technology added three genes to human skin cells, known as dermal fibroblasts, effectively converting them into induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs). iPSCs can replicate any cell type in the human body. In turn, these iPSCs were converted into epithelial stem cells (EpSCs).
When these newly converted EpSCs were mixed with other cells implanted into mice with compromised immune systems, not only did the implanted EpSCs produce an outer skin layer and follicles in mice that were similar to human hair follicles, but they also succeeded in creating hair shafts. These hair shafts reinforce the potential of hair regeneration. Within 18 days from the start of the study, 25 percent of iPSCs were converted into the EpSCs.
Can Circumcised Foreskin Lead To A Baldness Cure?
“When a person loses hair, they lose both types of cells.” Xu explained. “We have solved one major problem, the epithelial component of the hair follicle. We need to figure out a way to also make new dermal papillae cells, and no one has figured that part out yet.”
Xu added that these stem cells are not limited to regenerating hair and can be utilized in a number of scenarios including cosmetics and healing wounds. However, the research team admitted human trials involving EpSC implantation are far off. The next step in their research will look to test the same effects on dermal papillae, the second type of adult stem cell.

- - - Updated - - -

I stopped after I grew back all my hairline, took 10 weeks, I decided that if I have all my hair back then why not let the new scalp do it's job, I never had any shedding only few hairs came out from rolling. Now I am using violet ray which will induce blood flow and kill any bacteria in scalp and inflammation as well as charge cells and inject them with oxygen. I am also using 2000-3000 mg of msm which I been taking 2 months before starting dermarolling

i also noticed that I am growing more body hair in spots I never did since taking those high dosages of msm and vitamin c
Also started eating spring salads every day just about which I rarely ate veggies and fruits only carbs and protein before.

hairregrowth21

Established Member
Reaction score

Hair city here we come!

I am having a very similar experience. Thanks for sharing.

super

Reaction score
http://health.yahoo.net/articles/mens-health/cure-baldness-could-lie-our-skin-cells

I stopped after I grew back all my hairline, took 10 weeks, I decided that if I have all my hair back then why not let the new scalp do it's job, I never had any shedding only few hairs came out from rolling. Now I am using violet ray which will induce blood flow and kill any bacteria in scalp and inflammation as well as charge cells and inject them with oxygen. I am also using 2000-3000 mg of msm which I been taking 2 months before starting dermarolling

i also noticed that I am growing more body hair in spots I never did since taking those high dosages of msm and vitamin c
Also started eating spring salads every day just about which I rarely ate veggies and fruits only carbs and protein before.

Yeap. I started eating better too, but it was a little bit before i started rolling. I ear a lot of broccoli, it is great for the skin and health (so also to your hair), and it has evidence to back up that it regulates estrogen, so i took it to counter some of the finasteride side effects. I have been eating more clean and supplementing with Fish Oil and Resveratrol, i also eat curcumin with my chicken. All these made my skin a LOT better, no more acne problems at all, and my energy levels too. I don't know if it had great effect on my hair. But since the skin is way way way better, the hair probably is too. I figured. Well, if i am going to make my scalp blood flow better, why not put a lot of good nutrients and vitamins inside my body to make my hair healthier?

My doctor started using carboxytherapy. I think it works in a similar way to the violet ray you described. The CO2 injected makes the cells consume more oxygen or something like that and it helps a LOT the blood flow. I only did 2 times, so i don't know about the effects yet. But, as i said, i think my hair got thicker and longer after doing it (since i did 2 times, i have like almost 2 months of observation - i couldn't do the procedure exactly twice a month in dezember/november because of the festivities).

I am pretty help with the DR. Without it, as i always say, i would probably be almost entirely bald by now. And gladly i am not.

Status
Not open for further replies.