New Dermaroller Study; Thoughts, comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pablozaur

Reaction score
IMAG0308.jpg

Hi guys, I thought I share, this is my right temple which has been bold for years..
I know it's probably nothing but I have only done 2 mild rolls and I'm few days away from 3rd roll..
I took some better pictures and I'll be taking them every month this one is just a quick one with my mobile.
These hair look preety random probably because I didn't go too hard with the roller but next roll is gonna be a bloodbath!

The Far Side

Established Member
Reaction score
@korlicbus he actually posted several, I have yet to see any of your's though...?

I can't be sure I checked all 480 pages thoroughly but all I ever saw were pictures of some guy called Joe or something from 2006 who was a bit of a dermarolling pioneer. He linked that guys before and after photo several times, but the pictures are disappointing because the before was in bright natural light and the after was indoors in dim light. The only other thing I came across was one microscope picture but it wasn't paired with a before picture, better than nothing I guess. I don't have any pictures to contribute to the dermarolling discussion because I recently started a new regime which would just cloud any results. I am planning to post a 'My Story' thread with every-3-monthly progress pictures regarding that regimen though.

I have been lurking on the forums for years prior to signing up and I followed the dermarolling thread keenly.

The impression I got was that it became a bit of a cult with the two main dermarolling champions belittling people who raised any legitimate questions about the results and science behind dermarolling, or the legitimacy of the original study. My own enthusiasm towards rolling, and I'm sure everyone elses would have been increased tenfold by one decent before and after picture from squee, rather than just more and more text shooting people down and saying rolling is the best thing ever without showing us his own "amazing" progress. I still have faith in 2young2retire though, I've never been more excited about someone getting a haircut...

I'm going to try rolling on a couple of trouble areas whilst neglecting some others (all of which I'm applying topicals to), so maybe I can contribute something DR'ing related in a few months.

DesperateOne

Banned
Reaction score
Did my tenth roll, left it 10 days this time since been on antibiotics and ibuprofen for a chest infection, not much change except tome smaller hair shedding 6 or 7 a day, they have no white bulbs but seem to be black vased at the bottom. Noticed something weird, I rolled my right temple and it felt spongy as anything and bloody, I showered the blood out and noticed like 4 wrinkles about 2cm long...this been 2inches away from hairline...looked in the mirror today and it's turned out the are infact hairs that was stuck down, similar to eyebrow hairs. Not jumping the gun but hope is the start of something positive bearing in mind I have dupa

Question panda, can you tell me how did you know you had DUPA and not alopecia totalis? I am in the same boat and I know it's even worse than male pattern baldness, can you tell me if you have think scalp skin? Like if your skull feels flushed to the scalp, thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't be sure I checked all 480 pages thoroughly but all I ever saw were pictures of some guy called Joe or something from 2006 who was a bit of a dermarolling pioneer. He linked that guys before and after photo several times, but the pictures are disappointing because the before was in bright natural light and the after was indoors in dim light. The only other thing I came across was one microscope picture but it wasn't paired with a before picture, better than nothing I guess. I don't have any pictures to contribute to the dermarolling discussion because I recently started a new regime which would just cloud any results. I am planning to post a 'My Story' thread with every-3-monthly progress pictures regarding that regimen though.

I have been lurking on the forums for years prior to signing up and I followed the dermarolling thread keenly.

The impression I got was that it became a bit of a cult with the two main dermarolling champions belittling people who raised any legitimate questions about the results and science behind dermarolling, or the legitimacy of the original study. My own enthusiasm towards rolling, and I'm sure everyone elses would have been increased tenfold by one decent before and after picture from squee, rather than just more and more text shooting people down and saying rolling is the best thing ever without showing us his own "amazing" progress. I still have faith in 2young2retire though, I've never been more excited about someone getting a haircut...

I'm going to try rolling on a couple of trouble areas whilst neglecting some others (all of which I'm applying topicals to), so maybe I can contribute something DR'ing related in a few months.

You're right, but now the forum is squeeky clean and one can see the difference right away.

slam1523

Banned
Reaction score
@korlicbus. No I feel you bro... I don't mean to jump on you but I just don't like that anyone in here thinks that anyone owes. Anybody anything... At the end of the day this treatment will work on some and not on others... I've seen minoxidil do wonders for some but not much for me that doesn't mean it doesn't work... My point is you've got to try it and if it works great if it doesn't well you'll find something that helps at some point... Squeegee posted great articles, but like hellhouser said it's nothing we can't do ourselves if were that curious... Good luck homie,.. Hope it works... I've only done a couple rolls, but I bled like a champ last night doing it!

2young2retire

Experienced Member
Reaction score
^tha indicates that your scalp was hypoxiated till now ,till your previous rolls created vessels(angiogenesys) so now maybe your scalp gets all the necesary amount of blood and oxygen to fuction....keep on it.

hairregrowth21

Established Member
Reaction score
I just noticed a few hairs coming out of a scar I have been dermarolling just above my eyebrow. They are on the lower corner closest to the eyebrow and probably where I happened to be placing the deepest punctures at full 1.5MM.

I also just received a few different types of rollers. 1080 needles at .25, 1.5 and 3MM as well as this 1.5MM DNS Roller with the red photon light:
http://www.dnsroller.com/DNS-Roller...=DNS SE + Roller (540)&listname=DNS SE Series

I tried the .25MM 1080 Needles and literally did not feel any pain or prickles at all. At .5 there is still a little discomfort so it is nice to know that I can use this freely and easily every night or every other night if I wish to increase absorption.

I only rolled lightly with the DNS biogenesis roller but the needles were a little crisper than other 1.5MMs I have rolled with and I think I like the red photon light. It is supposed to increase oxygen and enhance cell activities. I will be using this for my next hard roll.

Speaking of which, I will be treating my next hard roll just like I used to treat my hard lifts when I was weight-training. Your body absorbs up to 60 grams of protein after breaking down a muscle group (whether it be biceps/triceps, chest/back, or scalp tendon) and nutrient absorption is at a heightened state afterwards. I am going to put off my daily supplements until right after rolling, take my amino acids at that time and maybe eat a pizza for maximum possible calorie intake. :band:

gmachine

Reaction score
Ok, so I've been dermarolling for 25 weeks now thanks to this thread
Still not sure whether or not it's really helping, but here are some pictures:

before (4.5 months on minoxidil):http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=24f0bkl&s=5#.UuGnfvYo4y4
today:http://i41.tinypic.com/vyb2nc.jpg

It looks like I might've had some improvement, or at least stayed at baseline, which is a little impressive considering I haven't been on any kind of DHT blocker during this period.

Like other folks have said, I don't think dermarolling is necessarily a solution to our problem, but it does seem to work in some capacity.

hairregrowth21

Established Member
Reaction score
Also, I tried that tea that Rambo suggested, holly crap, that thing is spicy as hell. I will need to add less cayenne next time.

I have found that adding honey almost completely negates the spice fyi if you're still drinking it.

- - - Updated - - -

osmosis (a kind of passive diffusion) is also a mechanism of transport, and finally a lot of substance permeate through the skin using active transport, I have pointed out before an example of topically applied Hyaluronic acid, were they detected its polymer size of up to 40000 daltons in the skin and even detectable in the blood after topically applying it to human skin.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10571728

That said, even in the worse case of passive diffusion, in the one study I posted above, they noted that adhesive tape stripping leads to an increase in skin permeation:

I have also noted a study here that showed that vigorously brushing for only 10 seconds could increase skin absorption by up to 100 times (too lazy to repost the same things again and again...)

bump...

If you brush, apply a few topicals, apply HA, then more topicals, absorption will be strong across the board...

Thor9

Established Member
Reaction score
The market is flooded with 540 needle rollers; I guess the "more-is-better" technique sells. We might not be able to find any 192 needle rollers in the near future.

SCALPMASTER

Reaction score
Typical of people to post some form of interesting results then disappear completely. How to tell if it continued to work & they just stopped coming to hairloss forums, or if (unfortunately the more likely scenario) their method stopped working & they gave up. Jason5's improvement was quite noticeable, I'd be really intrigued to see how it progressed from there.

I would also like to know what happened to Jason5. He was one of the people that was getting results similar to those seen in the indian study.

saintsfan92344

Established Member
Reaction score
Casperz also had some early results but it seems to have stopped at that, hopefully between myself and the others that are stopping rolling and the ones that are continuing rolling past the study we can find out the most effective procedure or determine if it really is effective at all. results at this pointer all over the place, some claim results while still rolling some have nothing with not really any sheds and for me I have lost so much hair rolling its sad but my goal was 12 weeks like the study claimed to have done and I did my 12th roll last week now I am HOPING to see some regrowth.

Stefanovic

Reaction score
I've used it for 5 weeks so far. On the bald spots ( receding hairline) I feel short hairs, you cannot really see them in a pic but it doesn't feel bald at this point. Some hairs are a bit longer.

Kalio

Reaction score
Could there be some added benefit of letting the dried blood stay in place for some time instead of wiping it off after dermarolling? Or even repeated rollings over the same area to get as much blood flowing?

Also I am now like 7 weeks in, and I think I am seeing a couple of longer vellus hairs growing between the terminal hairs in my widows peak. Mind you, on spots were there were previously no hairs anymore.

bhobho

Reaction score
Thank you guys. Just two questions:
Do you ever use minoxidil ? Get some results?
Did you make pre- treatment pics?

Thank you, again.

sweetsymphony

Reaction score
I'm 5 months in and definitely getting results.

There was a time I hated tying my hair up because I felt like people who looked closely could tell I had a hair transplant. Now the fine vellous hairs are getting thicker and longer and you almost can't tell which hairs are transplanted and which are naturally regrowing. It looks a bit weird to have a bunch of tiny hairs about and inch long sticking up everywhere but I'm not complaining!!!

I took some pictures last night but have no idea how to upload them on here through my phone. Wish I had baseline pics to show you too but unfortunately my laptop crashed a couple months back so all my photos are gone.

robpow

Reaction score
What is the difference between the type of inflammation that could lead to hairloss and the type of inflammation created by DR'ing?

Juan1991

Reaction score
Seems like there are very different results in the forum. The way we dermaroll our scalp and using ketoconazole products like nizoral could be the cause.

We should do a survey like this:

1. Are you seeing positive results from dermarroling?

2. When you dermaroll your scalp, do you roll in one direction or more than one?

3. From 1 to 5, how much pressure would you say you are applying?

4. Do you bleed? How much?

5. Has the bleeding increased since you started?

6. Do you use ketoconazole based creams o shampoos? How often?

Please excuse my English

Status
Not open for further replies.