New clinical trial intended to prove the Androgenetic Alopecia theory.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Rutt said:
castrates don't lose hair
psuedoherms dont lose hair
people taking dutasteride in significant amounts to reduce DHT to castrade levels don't lose hair.

freakout you sound terrified of taking finasteride, you should know it's the only thing you can do until topical antiandrogens come out.

DHT is not the only factor in male pattern baldness. I lost of lot of hair overdosing Dutasteride.. DHT is necessary for proper hairgrow btw.

cuebald

Reaction score
squeegee said:
DHT is necessary for proper hairgrow btw.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
squeegee said:
DHT is necessary for proper hairgrow btw.

Squeegee, can you give me some of what you've beeen smoking? :dunno:

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
armandein said:
why? a healthy hair need a sebaceous gland operative, and DHT is involucrated...

I know that's your favorite theory, Armando, but there's just no scientific evidence for it...

armandein

Established Member
Reaction score
yes Bryan you are right, this is my idea,..., I don't have proof for it (till now), but sebaceous gland exist before hair, and all hair have a attached a sebaceous gland, ....,

BTW , please see this photo,
Pulled_out_hairs_multiple_x100.jpg

Can you see sebum at the bottom of hair?
This photo is dyed with osmium tetraoxide, not with the usual eosina.... where fats are eliminated before.....

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
armandein said:
yes Bryan you are right, this is my idea,..., I don't have proof for it (till now), but sebaceous gland exist before hair, and all hair have a attached a sebaceous gland, ....,

BTW , please see this photo, [snip photo]

Can you see sebum at the bottom of hair?
This photo is dyed with osmium tetraoxide, not with the usual eosina.... where fats are eliminated before.....

That doesn't "prove" that sebum is required for hair to grow.

armandein

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes. I know but there is another side of the problem..., is that sebum reach at the dermal papilla. Then, if exist inner sebum flow it can interferer, in some cases, with the "trip" of stem cells coming from the bulge area.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
armandein said:
Yes. I know but there is another side of the problem..., is that sebum reach at the dermal papilla. Then, if exist inner sebum flow it can interferer, in some cases, with the "trip" of stem cells coming from the bulge area.

Yes. If anything, it seems like the existence of sebum in a hair follicle could actually _interfere_ with the flow of stem cells into the dermal papilla! Why are you so convinced that sebum is necessary for good hair growth? :dunno:

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
armandein said:
the sebum and stem cells travel in the same "route"

Do you think stem cells travel inside sebum? If not, why do you think that sebum is required for hair growth?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Armando, there's not much in any of those studies suggesting any really important kind of relationship between sebum and hair follicle growth. Can you be more specific?

armandein

Established Member
Reaction score
What I try to indicate is that the sebaceous gland is an essential part for the hair follicle, so we can say that sebaceous gland is necessary to growth healthy hairs.
It is more or less the same, because sebum is the only product manufactured by sebaceous gland.

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
the sebaceous gland is an essential part for the hair follicle, so we can say that sebaceous gland is necessary to growth healthy hairs

I think we evolved to produce sebum to prevent the tangling of long hair. We are the only species capable of growing hair longer than any animal.

Do animals produce sebum too?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
armandein said:
What I try to indicate is that the sebaceous gland is an essential part for the hair follicle, so we can say that sebaceous gland is necessary to growth healthy hairs.
It is more or less the same, because sebum is the only product manufactured by sebaceous gland.

So once again I point out that your only argument in all this is that the sebaceous gland is normally associated with the hair follicle, so you simply feel it's likely that sebum is necessary for the growth of hair. That's not scientific evidence, it's just a very simple argument on your part.

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Why is it when I slide my hand over my dog's hair, it's not as smooth as human hair? Not enough sebum?