New breakthrough! But umm who are "they"

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score

Yes, maybe it was not the best comparison, but when a hair follcile dies, it kind of dissapears, so making a new hair , at least from a strictly rough point of view, would be like making a new organ of any kind.
You want to clone hair, but why not clone an arm or a leg?
Why should be making/cloning a new hair simpler than any other part of the body?
What if it is even harder, god knows why?
And add another thing: if you lose an arm you do it by accident, you are not genetically programmed to lose it, like in male pattern baldness.

isishearmyplea

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes, maybe it was not the best comparison, but when a hair follcile dies, it kind of dissapears, so making a new hair , at least from a strictly rough point of view, would be like making a new organ of any kind.
Why should be making/cloning a new hair simpler than any other part of the body?
And add another thing: if you lose an arm you do it by accident, you are not genetically programmed to lose it, like in male pattern baldness.
bro what are you trying to say, i agree that cloning a new follicle or for that matter rejuvenating dormant follicles is tougher than one would generally assume but you really dont have to compare it with arm/legs. It serves no purpose and is entirely moot. no offense, have a good day.

zephyrprime

Reaction score
No, the fact they cloned sheeps doesn't imply that for sure they can find a way to regrow hair, EVER!
I assume the biggest difficulties are :
-that the hair follicle is such a microscopic "organ", yet so complex
-that the hair grows so slow , so every experiment has to be quite long( a complete hair cycle takes years).
As we have seen they have already find 101 ways to turn a bald mouse in a completely furry one, so they should stop making "research" on mice and focusing to experimenting on real human scalps instead.
Look, there has already been some success with cloning hair before. This new research increase the success rate for cloning to 2-3 out of 7 individuals. This is still not a very good success rate. Also, the hairs still have problems with color and orientation. The way I see it, scientists are making gradual progress in improving their cloning techniques. The biggest breakthrough was in the initial cloning. Hair cloning has already happened - it's just not at a high enough level of quality to be useful yet.

Look at it like this, the transistor was invented in 1947. However, it wasn't until 1954 that a commercial transistor radio was made. A commercial transistor computer was first made in 1957. We're looking for commercialization of hair cloning here - not just the invention of hair cloning.

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score
This new research increase the success rate for cloning to 2-3 out of 7 individuals.

I assume, as i've read, that hairs are multiplied in the lab and then implanted in the scalp. So that would pretty much solve the "orientation" issue, you simply implant them in the natural angle that hair grows.
color? So how can we talk about "cloned" hair, if it doesn't retain the color?
Anyway, as i heard, the biggest problem is with the hair cycles, not with color or orientation. As i have heard(sorry i cannot give links), cloned hairs perform well the first hair cycle and then they don't grow anymore. This is the current state of it. Whether they will be able to solve this problem or not, we will see. Otherwise you would need to do the treatment again every couple of years(the duration of a complete hair cycle anagen-catagen-telogen)

Python

Established Member
Reaction score
It will be easier to clone ourselves and then harvest the hair from the clone. Then we kill the clone.

slam1523

Banned
Reaction score
Send your clone to the island when you get past a Norwood 3? I may be willing as well!

2bald2young

Experienced Member
Reaction score

There are 2 theories on this and that is that either the hair completely dies and disappears or it has become miniscule so you can't see it. I personally think it is the second since some people were able to regrow their hair and that is what dht does, it makes your hair smaller and the cycle less long. Our best chances would be that someone accidentally finds a hair stimulant that works good enough and start using that with ru,dutasteride and minoxidil.

It will be easier to clone ourselves and then harvest the hair from the clone. Then we kill the clone.

Good idea.