New and wanting to buy a system but have questions ?

Hollywood4life87

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m very eager to get a system as I have been losing my hair since I was early 20s( I’m 34) but I have a few questions,any help would be greatly appreciated

1.do you need to measure your scalpt to buy a system? I see on sites like lordehair and lavid they ask for measurements ?

2. Glue or tape ? I see a lot of people on YouTube say tape is so much easier and less messy/holds well…Idk if I’d feel comfortable with just tape..

3.what products do you use to take the glue off?

Owen_45

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m very eager to get a system as I have been losing my hair since I was early 20s( I’m 34) but I have a few questions,any help would be greatly appreciated 1.do you need to measure your scalpt to buy a system? I see on sites like lordehair and lavid they ask for measurements ? 2. Glue or tape ? I see a lot of people on YouTube say tape is so much easier and less messy/holds well…Idk if I’d feel comfortable with just tape.. 3.what products do you use to take the glue off?

I'd also like to know. I'm also new to this hair system stuff and would like to know who cuts the hair system to the desired hair style and who applies the adhesive, etc ?

I haven't seen any salon ever put a hair system on for a person as it is obviously a very private thing to be done. How do the people on this forum going about doing this? Do ya'll go to a special type of salon or ask the hairdresser to come to your home?

Hollywood4life87

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd also like to know. I'm also new to this hair system stuff and would like to know who cuts the hair system to the desired hair style and who applies the adhesive, etc ?

I haven't seen any salon ever put a hair system on for a person as it is obviously a very private thing to be done. How do the people on this forum going about doing this? Do ya'll go to a special type of salon or ask the hairdresser to come to your home?
There’s special salons only in bigger cities that do it I know,otherwise you have to find your own to cut it or what I’m gonna do is select the come precut option on sites like lordehair who I’ve heard do an awesome job on there precuts. So that’s something you don’t have to worry about just get it precut from lordehair(I’ve heard so many good things)

The glue or tape you do yourself as well ,there’s lots of YouTube vids on the different products to use ,lordehair has everything you need I Think

I’m just still confused how you’re suppose to measure your head and how that works, it asks for measurements on all the websites

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
There are guides on how to measure on the websites. But I don't trust myself to do it right due to curvature of the scalp etc. And I haven't heard good things about ordering a pre cut hair style either.

If you are new to a hair system, I think that easiest would be to buy a stock hair system that has good reviews and is highly regarded (in original size and hair length) and then take it to a hair system salon to get it cut in. You might pay a little more than you could but at least you know that you have a good system and you know that the cut in and base shape are correct because this was done by the professional at the salon.

It seems like if you're using a lace you are almost definitely going to be using tape everywhere except the hairline and if you are using ultra thin skin poly you are almost definitely going to be using glue with a full bond. For other types of systems, you might have a choice. I only have experience with poly and glue but, from what I have read, if you use glue everywhere on a lace, clean up will be a big pain and if you use tape on a very thin poly, you have to be very careful because you might damage the base while attaching or removing.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
1) the more accurate you measure at the start the more accurate it will be to go straight on, but no its not a requirement if you cut one down to size but either way it will need to be "sized"

2) Some prefer glue others prefer tape and a third group will do a combination of the two. I mean there is no prescribed best way. Why not try both and discover which you prefer.

3) C22 and some tissues will do the job to start.

Discipline hair

My Regimen
Reaction score
There are guides on how to measure on the websites. But I don't trust myself to do it right due to curvature of the scalp etc. And I haven't heard good things about ordering a pre cut hair style either.

If you are new to a hair system, I think that easiest would be to buy a stock hair system that has good reviews and is highly regarded (in original size and hair length) and then take it to a hair system salon to get it cut in. You might pay a little more than you could but at least you know that you have a good system and you know that the cut in and base shape are correct because this was done by the professional at the salon.

It seems like if you're using a lace you are almost definitely going to be using tape everywhere except the hairline and if you are using ultra thin skin poly you are almost definitely going to be using glue with a full bond. For other types of systems, you might have a choice. I only have experience with poly and glue but, from what I have read, if you use glue everywhere on a lace, clean up will be a big pain and if you use tape on a very thin poly, you have to be very careful because you might damage the base while attaching or removing.
How about we bond only with glue on perimeter on a full lace base, maybe only perimeter can be poly .. Will that work ?

Mystery411

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Check out myhairexperience on YouTube. Curtis has a goldmine of informative videos. They helped me a lot! Noah, a member here, helped me a lot, as well.

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Check out myhairexperience on YouTube. Curtis has a goldmine of informative videos. They helped me a lot! Noah, a member here, helped me a lot, as well.
Can you please DM me Noah's @ so I can ask him some questions?

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys, important question.

1) Which type of material hair system do you guys recommend?

2) Which hair system/material from LordHair do you recommend?

3) Does wearing any of the hair systems from LordHair requiring the use of tape or glue, damage the hair follicles on the scalp? I would assume so because using a hair system would mean no sunlight and oxygen go to the hair follicles and would therefore permanently die?

4) Based on Question 3, am I correct in saying that If someone wears a hair system with glue or tape, since it damages the hair follicles the hair system would cover, would having a hair transplant in the future be something that is not possible???

I would greatly appreciate the answers to these questions from those who know about hair systems.

aqeel6600

My Regimen
Reaction score

3) Does wearing any of the hair systems from LordHair requiring the use of tape or glue, damage the hair follicles on the scalp? I would assume so because using a hair system would mean no sunlight and oxygen go to the hair follicles and would therefore permanently die?

4) Based on Question 3, am I correct in saying that If someone wears a hair system with glue or tape, since it damages the hair follicles the hair system would cover, would having a hair transplant in the future be something that is not possible???

I would greatly appreciate the answers to these questions from those who know about hair systems.
1) The base is really up to preference, skin base and especially think ones are durable but don’t look realistic, much easier to clean, and they create a barrier so no glue or tape can reach your hair
Lace however is breathable, looks much more realistic especially if the knots are bleached, but they are transparent, so glue may not be recommended as it can seep through.
You can, like I did, do a mix and match, like skin perimeters, with the center and front hairline being lace. This way you get everything positive about the two.
2) refer to 1
3) I honestly do not know if there is a negative impact coming from wearing a hair system, the only harm that I see possible, is if you snatch the hair systems plucking your hairs in the process.
4) Our thinning hairs are very fragile, so maybe sun exposure can do more harm, maybe the glue could affect it, and so this is a risk you have to take if it was present.

The process of wearing a hair system is hard and requires a lot of knowledge, research and most importantly, patience.

Hollywood4life87

My Regimen
Reaction score
1) The base is really up to preference, skin base and especially think ones are durable but don’t look realistic, much easier to clean, and they create a barrier so no glue or tape can reach your hair
Lace however is breathable, looks much more realistic especially if the knots are bleached, but they are transparent, so glue may not be recommended as it can seep through.
You can, like I did, do a mix and match, like skin perimeters, with the center and front hairline being lace. This way you get everything positive about the two.
2) refer to 1
3) I honestly do not know if there is a negative impact coming from wearing a hair system, the only harm that I see possible, is if you snatch the hair systems plucking your hairs in the process.
4) Our thinning hairs are very fragile, so maybe sun exposure can do more harm, maybe the glue could affect it, and so this is a risk you have to take if it was present.

The process of wearing a hair system is hard and requires a lot of knowledge, research and most importantly, patience.
Do you use glue or tape? Or a combo ? What product do you use to clean, and do you get precut? just trying to get as many good opinions as possible .thanks man really helpful

aqeel6600

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you use glue or tape? Or a combo ? What product do you use to clean, and do you get precut? just trying to get as many good opinions as possible .thanks man really helpful
1) Depends.
Glue only is useful for seamless attachment with skin systems on the hairline, general rule is that glue goes with skin and tapes goes with lace
I usually do a combo, as the detachment happens mostly at your skin from the tape instead of the tape from the base, I augment the tape adhesiveness with the glue. Another idea is that you can use weaker tapes that are easier to remove from the base and supplement a glue to attach it firmly to your scalp.
2) cleanup is with the holy trinity, C22, isopropyl alcohol, 70% or 99% and cotton balls. And of course shampoo for the hair.
3) Cutting the base to me is the hardest step and most crucial in creating a good looking system, I recommend sending a template of your area and letting the seller cut it for you. Making the template is so much easier with the help of a friend. And don’t forget to send a hair sample with it.

Hollywood4life87

My Regimen
Reaction score
1) Depends.
Glue only is useful for seamless attachment with skin systems on the hairline, general rule is that glue goes with skin and tapes goes with lace
I usually do a combo, as the detachment happens mostly at your skin from the tape instead of the tape from the base, I augment the tape adhesiveness with the glue. Another idea is that you can use weaker tapes that are easier to remove from the base and supplement a glue to attach it firmly to your scalp.
2) cleanup is with the holy trinity, C22, isopropyl alcohol, 70% or 99% and cotton balls. And of course shampoo for the hair.
3) Cutting the base to me is the hardest step and most crucial in creating a good looking system, I recommend sending a template of your area and letting the seller cut it for you. Making the template is so much easier with the help of a friend. And don’t forget to send a hair sample with it.
Sending a template sounds like a good idea..but What exactly do I send? like do I send a pic of the top of my head unshaven or shaved with measurements . Sorry for all the questions ,it’s just about of info to take in lol

aqeel6600

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sending a template sounds like a good idea..but What exactly do I send? like do I send a pic of the top of my head unshaven or shaved with measurements . Sorry for all the questions ,it’s just about of info to take in lol
Look up making a template on youtube, all you beed is plastic wrap, tape and a marker
Lavivid and lordhair have guides too.

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Look up making a template on youtube, all you beed is plastic wrap, tape and a marker
Lavivid and lordhair have guides too.

What's the total cost for your hair system and all the components required for it? If you do a breakdown of the items required with a costing that would be super helpful for us to get an idea of how much we'd need to budget.

aqeel6600

My Regimen
Reaction score
What's the total cost for your hair system and all the components required for it? If you do a breakdown of the items required with a costing that would be super helpful for us to get an idea of how much we'd need to budget.
I live in an area where hair system is a really rare item, so shipping costs and prices are increased dramatically ( things that cost 8$ easily cost me 30$), so it took me around 650$ for everything I use

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I live in an area where hair system is a really rare item, so shipping costs and prices are increased dramatically ( things that cost 8$ easily cost me 30$), so it took me around 650$ for everything I use

Damn, that's a lot! And how long does it last you?

Hollywood4life87

My Regimen
Reaction score
How do you guys find the start of your hairline in the front?ive heard lay 4 fingers(minus thumb) starting in the groove between your nose/eyebrows and where the top of the pinky lands that’s where your hairline should start…

Is that right?looked into it and can’t find anything

RunsWithScissors

My Regimen
Reaction score
How do you guys find the start of your hairline in the front?ive heard lay 4 fingers(minus thumb) starting in the groove between your nose/eyebrows and where the top of the pinky lands that’s where your hairline should start…

Is that right?looked into it and can’t find anything
Yes, you can use 4 fingers, but i think better is just see where your natural hairline should be (or was).
I’m very eager to get a system as I have been losing my hair since I was early 20s( I’m 34) but I have a few questions,any help would be greatly appreciated

1.do you need to measure your scalpt to buy a system? I see on sites like lordehair and lavid they ask for measurements ?

2. Glue or tape ? I see a lot of people on YouTube say tape is so much easier and less messy/holds well…Idk if I’d feel comfortable with just tape..

3.what products do you use to take the glue off?
By now you probably have your system, let us know how it went.

1. I recommend making a mold of your head. LH and i think all the websites have a page showing you how to do it. Then you can order a custom system. Once you have a custom system you are happy with, you can use it as a template and order stock systems (which you can get quicker than waiting for a custom).

2. I have always used tape, never glue. To me glue is messy. Plus i like to take it off daily and wash my head. I do not sleep with it. All this is a matter of personal circumstance and preference.

3. Being tape only, i checked out the Walker Tape website and order the one that seemed the best fit for me (Ultra Hold). Also, for the front, i buy tape on Ebay (Walker "A" contour ultra hold).

RunsWithScissors

My Regimen
Reaction score

1. If you are starting out, imho French Lace is a good option. It is simple, durable, and looks natural. Later you can experiment w/ Swiss Lace or Thin Skin if you like (both of which are less durable than FL and need replacing more often, but are harder to detect). I started with FL 20 years ago and have never switched.

2. If you are using LH, perhaps a custom JQ449 is a good choice. S7 looks good too, but JQ449 has a poly perimeter, and will probably be more durable. But of course all of this is a matter of personal preference.

3. All systems require some form of attachment. I agree with the previous poster, tape is good with French Lace, Thin Skin good with glue. I like French Lace with tape only. I also like to have them attach clips to the poly perimeter for further attachment to my growing hair in the sides and back (which you can request on your order form).

4. I never heard of a hair system causing any kind of damage to follicles. I also understand baldness is genetic and caused by your body converting testosterone to dihydro-testosterone. I would avoid hair transplants since if you continue to bald you will end up with visible plugs, plus the thinness caused by the transplant. All they are doing is surgically moving hair from the back and sides of your head to the top and front. imho go natural and use a hair system.