New and wanting to buy a system but have questions ?

RunsWithScissors

My Regimen
Reaction score
What's the total cost for your hair system and all the components required for it? If you do a breakdown of the items required with a costing that would be super helpful for us to get an idea of how much we'd need to budget.
You should be able to get one for $300, plus or minus $25 at any of the websites. After that the most expensive thing is the cut in. I've seen prices anywhere from $90 up to $150. Tape is cheap. I only shampoo mine 2-3 times a year and use regular, mild shampoo. I also have used Back2Natural color depositing conditioner to keep the color perfectly matched when necessary. Remember though, once you start this journey it's difficult or impossible to go back.

mrdavies

Established Member
Reaction score
1. If you are starting out, imho French Lace is a good option. It is simple, durable, and looks natural. Later you can experiment w/ Swiss Lace or Thin Skin if you like (both of which are less durable than FL and need replacing more often, but are harder to detect). I started with FL 20 years ago and have never switched.

2. If you are using LH, perhaps a custom JQ449 is a good choice. S7 looks good too, but JQ449 has a poly perimeter, and will probably be more durable. But of course all of this is a matter of personal preference.

3. All systems require some form of attachment. I agree with the previous poster, tape is good with French Lace, Thin Skin good with glue. I like French Lace with tape only. I also like to have them attach clips to the poly perimeter for further attachment to my growing hair in the sides and back (which you can request on your order form).

4. I never heard of a hair system causing any kind of damage to follicles. I also understand baldness is genetic and caused by your body converting testosterone to dihydro-testosterone. I would avoid hair transplants since if you continue to bald you will end up with visible plugs, plus the thinness caused by the transplant. All they are doing is surgically moving hair from the back and sides of your head to the top and front. imho go natural and use a hair system.
Not sure about your assessment on hair transplant's, have you seen recent work by top Doctor's they are mind blowing. Just today I saw pictures of the latest doctor accepted onto the hair restoration forum...incredible. From bald to thick head of hair...I know there's no guarantee but nothing beats a good hair transplant by a top doctor....every time i see them I wonder why I'm not getting one done lol.....one day perhaps.

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You should be able to get one for $300, plus or minus $25 at any of the websites. After that the most expensive thing is the cut in. I've seen prices anywhere from $90 up to $150. Tape is cheap. I only shampoo mine 2-3 times a year and use regular, mild shampoo. I also have used Back2Natural color depositing conditioner to keep the color perfectly matched when necessary. Remember though, once you start this journey it's difficult or impossible to go back.

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You only wash you two to three times per year? How long do you keep a system? I have not been very successful with the coloring conditioner, what brand do you use? I would really like to get away from coloring my system. I wear a light density and coloring is really pretty harsh on the system.

And your last sentence - no truer words have been said on this forum. I've been wanting to come off of this for the last year or so. But it is difficult - and pretty much anyone who knows me knows I wear a system.

RunsWithScissors

My Regimen
Reaction score
You only wash you two to three times per year? How long do you keep a system? I have not been very successful with the coloring conditioner, what brand do you use? I would really like to get away from coloring my system. I wear a light density and coloring is really pretty harsh on the system.

And your last sentence - no truer words have been said on this forum. I've been wanting to come off of this for the last year or so. But it is difficult - and pretty much anyone who knows me knows I wear a system.
I have systems i have worn for 2 years and more. I take it off every day and i do not sleep with it. I have an office job so it is gently treated and i am not one to hang out in the sun. I use the same tape for a week at a time or more, plus clips. If i am involved in sports i have a different one i use for that, or i just wear a hat when feasible. Maybe i wash more than 3x per year but not much more. I do it infrequently and when necessary. I have used Back2Natural color depositing conditioner, which i understand is out of business now. Perhaps another color depositing conditioner is available. I am trying to get away from coloring too, namely by more closely matching my color, which apparently had been off by one shade for years - i used whatever the guy i went to originally used and never switched (it was a 5R and i found out now i'm a 5). Nowadays i mostly been buying stock and cutting them myself, but i'll use a pro sometimes if i feel like it.

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Daily wear is a HUGE commitment. cleaning it up, taping it up - no problem. And I can do that fairly quickly. But what should take only a few minutes takes me much longer when it comes to placing the system in the correct spot on my head. I still utilize a salon, so they correct my mistakes... I'd love to reduce the number of visits I make to the salon.