Needed, Hints For Fixing Hairline Lift With French Lace

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am having problems with an otherwise successful bond. I, finally have a combination of tape and glue that appears to keep this thing on my head for more than a few days. Since we are still having some warm weather, I really still can't go beyond a week.

I do a perimeter bond using Walkers mini tabs, plus a stick-it hairline curved tape for the very back. I put another hairline tape about two inches back, from the hairline, and then run three strips of stick it down the middle. It's like a full-head bond, without all the glue. Finally, for the hairline, I use GhostbondXL.

The issue is the hairline. I get lift in the front after about a day or two. Not a lot, just a couple of mm, but it drives me crazy.

I would LOVE to be able to fix it, without trying to re-do the hairline. I have yet to be able to successfully get the glue off, and NOT in my hair (which is REALLY LONG), so I have stopped trying.

Any way to do "micro repairs"? I tried with a tiny brush, and I wind up getting glue in the lace, and NOT on my skin.

HELP!

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you tried something like Adjustabond?

I don't use Lace yet (and frankly I'm dreading it, compared to skin) but I've seen that you can use Adjustabond to clean front hairlines and to "re-activate" the glue.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you tried something like Adjustabond?

I don't use Lace yet (and frankly I'm dreading it, compared to skin) but I've seen that you can use Adjustabond to clean front hairlines and to "re-activate" the glue.

I was reading about it, from some of the other forums, it appears to be basically, alcohol, no?

Noah

Reaction score
I use a toothpick, but only for lifts of max 1 square centimetre. If it's worse than that (very rare for me thankfully) I would flip up the whole front and re-do it.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I use a toothpick, but only for lifts of max 1 square centimetre. If it's worse than that (very rare for me thankfully) I would flip up the whole front and re-do it.

I will try the toothpick, I still can't figure out the redo.

I am... considering a new, shorter style, with a covered hairline, no more GLUE... just tape all around.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

But how do you get the existing glue off, from such a small area? Or do you just apply fresh glue on the scalp?

Edit: it's easy with my Skin base, but I'm wondering how you do this on Lace.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just tried it with a folded cloth and 100% alcohol. It seemed to work, it was only two spots, on either side of the front. I need to find FLAT toothpicks.

I spoke with my guys at Onehead, I am traveling to Marid, with both of my units, and am going for a French Crop, with no visible hairline.

:)

David livingstone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Possibly it may be the length of your hair, the weight of it. So the front can not stay bonded for long due to this. Having such long hair i can imagine you must have to move it oit of your face alot. This could possibly lead to it weakening the bond at the front.
I have never had that issue due to the fact that i wear my hair very short for a system. Most system wearers i have seen have had theirs quite a bit longer at the sides and back.
But i also still have my own front hairline and sit my system just behind this. So never really had the issue of it lifting because if it ever did my hair would hide it.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Possibly it may be the length of your hair, the weight of it. So the front can not stay bonded for long due to this. Having such long hair i can imagine you must have to move it oit of your face alot. This could possibly lead to it weakening the bond at the front.
I have never had that issue due to the fact that i wear my hair very short for a system. Most system wearers i have seen have had theirs quite a bit longer at the sides and back.
But i also still have my own front hairline and sit my system just behind this. So never really had the issue of it lifting because if it ever did my hair would hide it.

The hair doesn't move, it's pulled back, but yes, that can be a part of it, but since the density of the front is so light, most of the tension, is on the top, and side hair.

The new style will totally alleviate this.

Dionysus57

My Regimen
Reaction score
The hair doesn't move, it's pulled back, but yes, that can be a part of it, but since the density of the front is so light, most of the tension, is on the top, and side hair.

The new style will totally alleviate this.

Hey Mr,

When you had this hairstyle, was you doing a top knot?

The reason I ask is that I want to be able to tie mine up into a top knot and wondered what some of the cons were.

Obviously I need to be super careful not to tie it up tight and start pulling hairs out of the unit or tight on the hairline so that it just pulls the bloody thing off my head.

Any tips?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

I still have the topknot, I am doing the new haircut on a different unit.

The thing to remember is that the tension is not ONLY on the edges. If you do it correctly, the tension is distributed equally throughout the system. It also does not need to be SKIN TIGHT like you are getting a facelift.

Not sure the type of cut you have, and what kind of a blend? Meaning is the side/back hair faded into the edge of the system? If you look at my avatar, that is what I did, in the beginning. This is the best way to do it, as there will be a sort of "parting" all around the perimeter of the unit. This will tend to anchor the unit and give a good "visible edge" that won't give it away. When the original cut in was done, the stylist cut a V-shaped section around the back and sides of the system, and tapered it, really short, leaving the rest of the hair long.

I only do a top knot when I do a full-head bond, meaning all glue. With a perimeter tape, the tape was not strong enough to hold the back of the unit down, and I had lift after a day with the hair "up".

Now that I shave my entire head, I have cut the lace on the current system to extend a bit. It's sort of like doing a "hairline" all around the perimeter, and again, only works if you shave your entire head. I like this less, as the "look" is less effective.

Good luck, let me know what you wind up doing, and post pics if you can' I love the look!!!

Steve

Dionysus57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

I still have the topknot, I am doing the new haircut on a different unit.

The thing to remember is that the tension is not ONLY on the edges. If you do it correctly, the tension is distributed equally throughout the system. It also does not need to be SKIN TIGHT like you are getting a facelift.

Not sure the type of cut you have, and what kind of a blend? Meaning is the side/back hair faded into the edge of the system? If you look at my avatar, that is what I did, in the beginning. This is the best way to do it, as there will be a sort of "parting" all around the perimeter of the unit. This will tend to anchor the unit and give a good "visible edge" that won't give it away. When the original cut in was done, the stylist cut a V-shaped section around the back and sides of the system, and tapered it, really short, leaving the rest of the hair long.

I only do a top knot when I do a full-head bond, meaning all glue. With a perimeter tape, the tape was not strong enough to hold the back of the unit down, and I had lift after a day with the hair "up".

Now that I shave my entire head, I have cut the lace on the current system to extend a bit. It's sort of like doing a "hairline" all around the perimeter, and again, only works if you shave your entire head. I like this less, as the "look" is less effective.

Good luck, let me know what you wind up doing, and post pics if you can' I love the look!!!

Steve

I love the look too it's just a shame my real hair never let me do it in real life!

That's fate for you. But I want a top knot and I am going to have one.

I was thinking that re just taping around the perimeter. I was thinking about taping up some of the inside as well, maybe even in a cross + shape on the top of my scalp for extra hold? (As well as gluing my front hairline right down....glue glue glue)

I know it's trial and error really and I have an oily scalp so I'd probably be looking at redoing it every week, which is fine tbh as I dye my hair anyway and would be able to take off, do my roots, re shave, maybe have a day off of wearing it at the weekend then glue it all on again for the week ahead.

I've been watching a lot of malehairexoerience videos on YouTube to try and learn what to expect and how to deal with it. I'm pretty artistic and cut/colour my own hair anyway so I am nervous but not excessively.

I haven't had it done yet - but I have some very long hair on the sides and back that, hopefully, they won't have to shave off, and can help take some of the weight

I will be sure to keep you updated!

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I love the look too it's just a shame my real hair never let me do it in real life!

That's fate for you. But I want a top knot and I am going to have one.

I was thinking that re just taping around the perimeter. I was thinking about taping up some of the inside as well, maybe even in a cross + shape on the top of my scalp for extra hold? (As well as gluing my front hairline right down....glue glue glue)

I know it's trial and error really and I have an oily scalp so I'd probably be looking at redoing it every week, which is fine tbh as I dye my hair anyway and would be able to take off, do my roots, re shave, maybe have a day off of wearing it at the weekend then glue it all on again for the week ahead.

I've been watching a lot of malehairexoerience videos on YouTube to try and learn what to expect and how to deal with it. I'm pretty artistic and cut/colour my own hair anyway so I am nervous but not excessively.

I haven't had it done yet - but I have some very long hair on the sides and back that, hopefully, they won't have to shave off, and can help take some of the weight

I will be sure to keep you updated!

Well, yeah, fate, exactly. After shaving my head for 24 years (N1) finally the world of fashion gives us (me) hairstyles that I like, and I am a N6/N7!

I also tape the inside. Since I have a bunch of hairline contour strips, I use them at the back, and near the front.

Oily scalp! Then proper scalp prep is a MUST!

Curtis is awesome, his videos are great.

If you have good, side hair, that is long... you can solve the issue that I have, make the fade lower... and you are totally set. You can totally tape the perimeter!

Best!

S.