Need to make a move, tips wanted, etc.

TexanGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm probably going to go with a hairstyle similar to the pictures which is how I wore my hair before my hair turned trash.

best-short-hairstyles-for-men.jpgbe92e41b6a7817684b6bbbb6af6f9c7b.jpg

I don't have any salons that specialize in hair systems nearby, I would have to fly for those. Edit: I may have actually found one an hour away that does wigs

This hairstyle seems pretty easy to blend while letting a barber know to work with/protect the hair system. I will probably choose a fine welded mono system for the winter months for longevity, and summer months will be lace since it's hotter and I would sweat more especially when working out.

Have any of you had good results when making your own template? How exact with the template would I really need to be for a hairstyle like this which won't really need to be tightly blended. I learned from MHE's videos that the sides of a template you mostly want to get into a straight line.

I will probably go to a salon for the first cut in, then afterwards I'll just to try maintain the shaved-based and just order systems.

To end, any experiences and tips with fine welded mono is appreciated, as it seems there's not many mono wearers. I've learned a decent bit about french lace but tips on french lace are welcome too. Is there shrinkage, how do different temperatures affect them, comfortability of mono, etc?

Last edited:

Noah

Reaction score
Hi TexanGuy

I agree that style will be pretty easy-care with a system. A variation of it would be to crop your natural sides and back short and have your system cut into an undercut. The advantage of that is that you don't have to bother about blending the system with your biohair (so no worries about your blend growing out), and it also covers up any slight colour mismatches - with the undercut there is a deliberate edge to the long hair and a change of texture, so a slight colour variation between system and biohair goes unnoticed.

Doing a template single-handed is a bit fiddly, but quite doable. You may need to do it two of three times before you get one you are happy with. The thing to remember is that it doesn't have to be perfect, like an engineering component. It just has to show the shape of the area you need covered, and if you are ordering a custom piece the rough curvature of your scalp. Hairpiece bases have a fair amount of 'give' in them, so some degree of inaccuracy doesn't matter.

Mono systems are rather old-fashioned technology, to be honest. They are extremely durable and breathable, but the mesh is very coarse, and therefore the hair density has to be high to cover it up completely. If the base is exposed in any way, it will give away the system. So you can't have an exposed hairline or a formal parting. It is also very detectable to the touch. That said, you could use a mono system for the hairstyles in your photo - dense casually styled hair and a covered hairline - but just be aware that if you are walking into a strong wind or lying down in bed or on a sunlounger your hairline may be exposed, and it won't look natural.

Best of luck with your plan. Shout if you need any help.

Noah

TexanGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi TexanGuy

I agree that style will be pretty easy-care with a system. A variation of it would be to crop your natural sides and back short and have your system cut into an undercut. The advantage of that is that you don't have to bother about blending the system with your biohair (so no worries about your blend growing out), and it also covers up any slight colour mismatches - with the undercut there is a deliberate edge to the long hair and a change of texture, so a slight colour variation between system and biohair goes unnoticed.

Doing a template single-handed is a bit fiddly, but quite doable. You may need to do it two of three times before you get one you are happy with. The thing to remember is that it doesn't have to be perfect, like an engineering component. It just has to show the shape of the area you need covered, and if you are ordering a custom piece the rough curvature of your scalp. Hairpiece bases have a fair amount of 'give' in them, so some degree of inaccuracy doesn't matter.

Mono systems are rather old-fashioned technology, to be honest. They are extremely durable and breathable, but the mesh is very coarse, and therefore the hair density has to be high to cover it up completely. If the base is exposed in any way, it will give away the system. So you can't have an exposed hairline or a formal parting. It is also very detectable to the touch. That said, you could use a mono system for the hairstyles in your photo - dense casually styled hair and a covered hairline - but just be aware that if you are walking into a strong wind or lying down in bed or on a sunlounger your hairline may be exposed, and it won't look natural.

Best of luck with your plan. Shout if you need any help.

Noah
Thanks, I've actually never been able to find what a mono hairline looks like anywhere on the internet, of course the goal is to hide it but I've never been able to see an example of how obvious it is. I think having a mono hair system would still be useful as a long lasting backup if anything, but I have no idea how uncomfortable they might be so maybe it's best to go with lace and poly sides/back all the time

TexanGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
One more question I have now that it crosses my mind.

I've been in my mind just assuming that I should get a custom system since in the past for other hairstyles I had in mind I viewed hair systems as something that should have a pretty perfect hairline, but for this type of hairstyle which sort of fans out and covers the hairline and sides I'm wondering if perhaps that's not even needed and if I can get a stock unit from somewhere.

How are the results generally for a stock piece VS a custom made one when close to absolute perfection of the seams isn't exactly a must?

Thanks for any help

Noah

Reaction score
Thanks, I've actually never been able to find what a mono hairline looks like anywhere on the internet, of course the goal is to hide it but I've never been able to see an example of how obvious it is. I think having a mono hair system would still be useful as a long lasting backup if anything, but I have no idea how uncomfortable they might be so maybe it's best to go with lace and poly sides/back all the time
An exposed mono hairline is going to look something like this - a pretty obvious rug. They are just not suitable for exposing the hairline. In order to cover the coarse visible base material, the hair has to be super-dense, and it looks totally unrealistic.

IMG_5198.jpg

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
An exposed mono hairline is going to look something like this - a pretty obvious rug. They are just not suitable for exposing the hairline. In order to cover the coarse visible base material, the hair has to be super-dense, and it looks totally unrealistic.

View attachment 168615
I have a client who is of Middle Eastern background, a Medium density, the mono unit is actually perfect for him, and his hairline is exposed. I was surprised, but this is what our stylist suggested. He is happy with the results... so... sometimes... it's what fits the client.

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just want to add that there are various mono type bases, ex superfine welded mono versus plain mono which is what Noah is referring to...those rugs last forever. I have personally wore a superfine welded mono, with exposed hairline, and it was comparable to Swiss lace. The superfine mono is so fine, knotters can only do single knots and do a light density...so not at all those old fashioned rugs..
I feel monos get a bad reputation ..reason why I just wanted to clarify...Google superfine welded mono...this one link which explains 3 types of mono bases https://www.superhairpieces.com/tou...og/top-5-lace-materials-used-in-the-industry/

Noah

Reaction score
Very happy to be corrected guys. How do you source this finer type, so as to be sure you don't get the older coarser type?

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just make sure that vendor confirms that base is "superfine welded mono", most reputable vendors indicate clearly if base is as such in their product description, such as superhairpieces, lordhair, hairbro, newtimeshair, etc..I would return product if it wasn't as described.
Another indication that it is welded, base has no poly surround or other poly, as the old thick mono was weaved, so needed poly on edges to prevent it from unweaving...I personally wore the SHP model m110, realy couldn't see difference with swiss, aside from shine of lace, but well settled in glue should reduce shine. I stopped wearing this as it was more expensive than swiss, and lasted about the same as swiss

TexanGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think a stock unit would be fine for the style you want, provided your bald area is in the normal size range.
Thanks, I've never had a cut in before and am new to learning about stock cut-ins I was wondering about some factors.

How do the stock cut-ins work exactly, it seems simple enough but I'm going look around at some stock systems to hopefully get started at this finally and then maybe order a custom unit or 2.

Lace seems like you can pretty much cut whatever is needed, but are there other system types that would be weakened by trimming? Or are they all pretty much the same and it's fine to cut what you need without ruining the system?

Also when it comes to the hairline I'm guessing they all have a standard rounded hairline which seems fine, but do the salons trim the hairline up as needed, or can you possibly have an odd hairline fit when going with a stock system?

Edit: Measured my scalp and it comes out to about a 6x9 or 7x9, is it no problem to cut an 8x10 down to make the fit with a stock system?

Last edited:

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
All bases can be cut to fit. That is why they are sold as pre-made in standard sizes. They are also all shipped with extra material that needs to be trimmed.

TexanGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply

When looking at lace systems should I be concerned about skin perimeters VS poly perimeters? I'm not sure if it brings down the longevity of the system similar to a full thin skin system that's injected or if it's just a layer under the lace and it's not really an issue. Only issue I can think of if it doesn't affect the strength of the hairs is shrinkage with thin skins but I'm unsure

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Which model/company are you considering ? Usually the side and back is poly (not thinskin) and is applied over lace. It doesn't shrink and eases the removal of adhesive (tape). I also find it helps in keeping the skull curve intact, where as full lace can stretch and loose its curvature

TexanGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Which model/company are you considering ? Usually the side and back is poly (not thinskin) and is applied over lace. It doesn't shrink and eases the removal of adhesive (tape). I also find it helps in keeping the skull curve intact, where as full lace can stretch and loose its curvature
Lordhair and Lavivid are the only pretty good companies I know with stocks, I know people have said their quality is iffy lately but I don't know other companies that really show their product, or the supply of companies I do know of isn't there. NWL for example is out of most stocks and doesn't do customs

That is true though with support bases vs full lace, I've never worn hair systems yet but I couldn't do full lace with all the glue. I think I like systems similar to the first picture where it has some base going through the middle in order to help keep the system well gripped and flush rather than just sides and back support, maybe helping take strain off the glued down hairline too.

Though I feel like too much support poly might be uncomfortable similar to 2nd picture, perhaps with tape though it gives tiny lift spots to help airflow through those areas.

Just wanted to check on this since if thin skin support base wasn't problematic in the pursuit of at least a 3 month system life it would give me more hair system options.

Attachments

• neo_3_1_1.jpg
    neo_3_1_1.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 67
  • vigor_1.jpg
    vigor_1.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
HUm.. you could always check with lordhair about the thickness of the skin...I doubt it is thinskin..more poly (ei more than .8 mm)...the vigor doesnt seem that breathable and the middle is the "older" mono Noah was referring to..stiffer, not as comfortable, but longer lasting..quantum m would be more breathable/comfortable.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's a good hairstyle, but the easiest is, of course, the Jake Paul. It's trendy, and all you have to do is buzz your whole head & glue the wig on.

A lot of companies do pre-cuts; Lord had an excellent one for my needs, but I don't like their product.

You can always just go to a regular hairstylist. Hair is, after all, hair. Just pick a good one and insist they go slowly.