Need some advice for getting my hair system life off the ground

Couperin111

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

My first post but have been lurking around forum threads for a little while.

I’ve managed to create a template and get a hair sample sent off, bought a medium/light density full french lace system, bought all of the stuff needed to maintain/take off/put on the system BUT I’m now stuck.

The thing is that the hair on the system is long (no idea what hair style I wanted) and attaching it is proving to be a little tough. Ive got some hair clips and a head band but again it’s tough to attach without the stray hairs getting under the tape. Once I’ve got it on I need to kind of style it so was thinking of getting a mobile hair stylist but where on earth would I find one that is able to cut in a hair system? (I live in south London). A google search doesn’t yield much.

Also, anyone have any good tips for attaching a full lace system with long hair?

(The hairclubs I went to only offered thin skins which was not what I wanted and were extremely pricey. I really want to be self sufficient and do everything myself but just need these last pieces of the puzzle).

smoka123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is it your first hair system ?
I would do everything for myself - except the cut in.
Maybe you find someone who does it. Ask regular stylists even if you give them maybe 50 €.

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Couperin, congratulations on taking the plunge.

If you have long hair you will need to get lots of clips like this (alligator clips), and clip the hair up out of the way until you get the system installed. It will be easier to do if you have a polystyrene head to pin the system to.

There are various methods of getting the system attached efficiently, and you will probably eventually develop your own routine, but here is mine to get you started.

Basically I put the tape on the back and sides of the hairpiece. Then I place the hairpiece in perfect position and anchor it with 2 small pieces of tape. Then I pull the backing paper off the rest of the tape and stick the back and sides. Then I glue the front. Here is the method in more detail:

First, I put the tape on the back and sides of the hairpiece, leaving the backing paper on, but I fold over a corner of the backing paper on each bit of tape.

I also put 2 small pieces of tape (about 1 square centimetre), one on each side of the piece, about the middle of the sides and 2 centimetres from the edge. I take the backing paper off those 2 small piece, and give them a spray of alcohol.

I then put the hairpiece on my head and move it into perfect position - no gaps or overlaps. The alcohol stops the adhesive on the 2 small pieces of tape from sticking immediately, and gives me a few seconds to move the piece around. When I get the perfect position, I press down on the two small pieces of tape and stick them into place. They then anchor the whole hairpiece.

I then flip up the back, pull off the backing paper on the tape, and stick it down - sides first, and then the back.

I hold down the front of the hairpiece with one hand, and mark the position of the hairline by digging marks into my forehead with the thumbnail of the other hand.

I then flip the front up and clip it out of the way.

I apply a layer of glue using the thumbnail marks as a guide; dry it with a hairdryer, and repeat. Then I spritz the glued area with alcohol, and bring down the hairpiece hairline and apply it onto the glue - middle of the hairline first, and then the sides. Then I press the hairline firmly into the glue with the teeth of a comb held sideways. And that's it.

I will PM you some ideas about cut-in possibilities.

Noah

IMG_4869.jpg

Couperin111

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is it your first hair system ?
I would do everything for myself - except the cut in.
Maybe you find someone who does it. Ask regular stylists even if you give them maybe 50 €.
Hey Smoka123,

Yep this is my first hair system and the cut in part is tough to solve as there are no hair system stylists apart from the big salons (which are pricey for a cut in).

I wonder how different cutting the hair system would be from cutting real hair?

Couperin111

My Regimen
Reaction score

If you have long hair you will need to get lots of clips like this (alligator clips), and clip the hair up out of the way until you get the system installed. It will be easier to do if you have a polystyrene head to pin the system to.

There are various methods of getting the system attached efficiently, and you will probably eventually develop your own routine, but here is mine to get you started.

Basically I put the tape on the back and sides of the hairpiece. Then I place the hairpiece in perfect position and anchor it with 2 small pieces of tape. Then I pull the backing paper off the rest of the tape and stick the back and sides. Then I glue the front. Here is the method in more detail:

First, I put the tape on the back and sides of the hairpiece, leaving the backing paper on, but I fold over a corner of the backing paper on each bit of tape.

I also put 2 small pieces of tape (about 1 square centimetre), one on each side of the piece, about the middle of the sides and 2 centimetres from the edge. I take the backing paper off those 2 small piece, and give them a spray of alcohol.

I then put the hairpiece on my head and move it into perfect position - no gaps or overlaps. The alcohol stops the adhesive on the 2 small pieces of tape from sticking immediately, and gives me a few seconds to move the piece around. When I get the perfect position, I press down on the two small pieces of tape and stick them into place. They then anchor the whole hairpiece.

I then flip up the back, pull off the backing paper on the tape, and stick it down - sides first, and then the back.

I hold down the front of the hairpiece with one hand, and mark the position of the hairline by digging marks into my forehead with the thumbnail of the other hand.

I apply a layer of glue using the thumbnail marks as a guide; dry it with a hairdryer, and repeat. Then I spritz the glued area with alcohol, and bring down the hairpiece hairline and apply it onto the glue - middle of the hairline first, and then the sides. Then I press the hairline firmly into the glue with the teeth of a comb held sideways. And that's it.

Noah

View attachment 154177
Hey Noah!

Thanks so much for your reply. There’s so much useful in there that I’m excited to try out. I guess getting the clips, some pins and a polystyrene head would be the be the next step.

Silly question but when you say alcohol, do you mean some kind of hair system alcohol?

Noah

Reaction score
Hey Noah!

Thanks so much for your reply. There’s so much useful in there that I’m excited to try out. I guess getting the clips, some pins and a polystyrene head would be the be the next step.

Silly question but when you say alcohol, do you mean some kind of hair system alcohol?

Sorry, I meant isopropyl alcohol (also called surgical spirit in the UK), preferably in 99% concentration. You can usually get it fairly cheaply in large quantities from chemists and DIY shops. It’s invaluable.

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Noah

View attachment 154177
Noah if you ever get frisky feeling I would (and many others I’m sure) would love for you to make a video of these techniques. I am a visual learner and these tips you have could make it so easy for beginners to learn quicker. Not saying to have a YouTube channel or anything, just a few posted on here.

smoka123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wonder how different cutting the hair system would be from cutting real hair?
I´m not a hair stylist but when I was there and also from YT videos I would say it´s a bit different.
To cut the hairpiece in they use some kind of a knife not a scissor. It will reduce the I think it´s called "Pluffiness" (?) here.
Remember, most of us go from Norwood 7 to Norwood 1. A new system in my oppionion always doesn´t look good becauce of the many hairs. 2-3 weeks later its better.

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
They are using a razor much like a straight razor for shaving your face. It is not required it be cut with one, but there are many advantages. For one you get really good texture out of them. I personally like it better.

I don’t think it’s entirely different and I would think any professional could probably do it. I get my systems cut in remotely (only because I hate cutting the base and my stylist has never done that) and then I will go to my local stylist for final revisions. I experimented quite a bit on my last cut and tried to keep it longer than I should have so when I got it in my stylist actually had to do a lot to it. She said it was really no different to her because she knew I had on a unit and knew where the base ended all around.